Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 05:27 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I made the Pioneer Woman's version tonight and it was not very good.
Chicken, dredged in flour, salt and pepper. Check
Fresh mushrooms. Check
Butter, wine (Chardonnay), lemon juice, capers, chicken broth and heavy cream. Check.

It seems like it should have been very straightforward, but what happened is the cream curdled and the taste was very sour. I have had it in restaurants and liked it, but I am not sure what I did wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I made the Pioneer Woman's version tonight and it was not very good.
Chicken, dredged in flour, salt and pepper. Check
Fresh mushrooms. Check
Butter, wine (Chardonnay), lemon juice, capers, chicken broth and heavy cream. Check.

It seems like it should have been very straightforward, but what happened is the cream curdled and the taste was very sour. I have had it in restaurants and liked it, but I am not sure what I did wrong.
I never use cream in mine
Slimed down Chicken picatta

I took a traditional version of this dish which calls for 6 tbsp each of butter and olive oil and slimmed it down a bit by using less butter and oil and it still came out great.

6 boneless skinless thin chicken cutlets
1/2 cup flour for dredging
2 Tbsp salted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp capers drained
1/2 cup chicken broth or stock

Mix salt and pepper into flour. Heat oil and butter on medium high in a large non stick skillet or any large skillet you have. Coat chicken on both sides. when butter starts to foam/Sizzle it's ready for the chicken. Add the cutlets to the pan. (may have to cook in 2 batches) cook on both sides for 3 minutes. remove to a platter. add lemon juice, zest, capers and broth. be sure to scrape up any brown bits. simmer sauce for 3 minutes. I like my sauce a little thick so I took 1/4 cold water and 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch and mixed that in but you don't have to do that. Return chicken to pan and cook another 2-3 minutes. Place chicken on serving platter and pour sauce over the chicken. I also made extra lemon sauce and put that on my broccoli.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:06 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Sounds like a great recipe to try for those chicken breasts that are waiting in the freezer.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:09 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I really really hope you meant slimmed.
Otherwise, it sounds good

(Not meant to criticize - I thought the typo was hilarious )

Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I never use cream in mine

I took a traditional version of this dish which calls for 6 tbsp each of butter and olive oil and slimmed it down a bit by using less butter and oil and it still came out great.

6 boneless skinless thin chicken cutlets
1/2 cup flour for dredging
2 Tbsp salted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp capers drained
1/2 cup chicken broth or stock

Mix salt and pepper into flour. Heat oil and butter on medium high in a large non stick skillet or any large skillet you have. Coat chicken on both sides. when butter starts to foam/Sizzle it's ready for the chicken. Add the cutlets to the pan. (may have to cook in 2 batches) cook on both sides for 3 minutes. remove to a platter. add lemon juice, zest, capers and broth. be sure to scrape up any brown bits. simmer sauce for 3 minutes. I like my sauce a little thick so I took 1/4 cold water and 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch and mixed that in but you don't have to do that. Return chicken to pan and cook another 2-3 minutes. Place chicken on serving platter and pour sauce over the chicken. I also made extra lemon sauce and put that on my broccoli.
No wine either. Thanks, I'll try it.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Here's what I do with Veal Piccata, but it should work just as well with chicken.

Veal Piccata

½ to ¾ lb. veal scallopini

Dredge veal in flour, salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter on high heat and brown cutlets. Remove from pan. Add ½ cup chicken broth and ½ cup of wine. Boil down a bit, then add some more butter, 1 clove minced garlic, juice of ½ a lemon and 2 T capers. S and P to taste. Add cutlets back in and cook for a few more minutes.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I agree, no cream in piccata. I do pretty much like Lubby, except I do use more butter and oil, and use some white wine instead of the chicken broth. I keep a bottle of vermouth in the pantry for dishes like this since we rarely drink white wine (almost exclusively red wine in this house). The vermouth adds a certain piquant taste that goes missing with only chicken broth.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I really really hope you meant slimmed.
Otherwise, it sounds good

(Not meant to criticize - I thought the typo was hilarious )
LOL yes I meant slimmed.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
NO CREAM! Don't know where they got that from. The worst part of making it is pounding the chicken breasts.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:26 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Another forum member named kelsie shared her recipe for Chicken Piccata with me several years ago, and it has been in regular rotation in our meal repertoire ever since. It goes together quickly (about 20 minutes) and is absolutely wonderful stuff.

Chicken Piccata (serves 4)

4 boneless chicken cutlets, rinsed, patted dry and pounded between plastic wrap to 1/8" thick--dusted in flour & s/p
2 T olive oil
1/4 C dry white wine
1 t minced garlic
1/2-3/4 C chicken broth
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T capers
2 T unsalted butter
Fresh lemon slices
Fresh parsley to garnish

I assemble all the ingredients in measuring cups next to the stove

Coat a sauté pan with olive oil over med. high heat. Sauté chicken 2-3 minutes on both sides. Transfer cutlets to plate & pour off fat. Deglaze pan with wine, add garlic and simmer until garlic is translucent and liquid is nearly evaporated 2-3 minutes. Add broth, lemon juice, capers. Return cutlets to pan and cook 1 min. each side. Transfer to a warm plate.
Finish sauce with butter and lemon slices, pour over cutlets and top with parsley.

That was kelsie's exact version. I increase the garlic to closer to a tablespoon, and I generally go a little heavier on the capers, but beyond that, I follow her recipe pretty much exactly. Truly wonderful stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes