Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 PM

444 posts, read 820,110 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My house is awfully toasty. And, I just don't want to have the oven on or be over a hot stove. I have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker, not grill.

Please give some recommendation on some recipes that wont heat the house up any more.

I'll prefer things that I can have leftovers that reheat well. Also, what happnes if I cook chicken breast in the slow cooker without liquid? How much liquid do they need to not be a pain to clean?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Try one of these microwave silicon pressure cookers. We have one and they work well. Not sure which one we have though. Supposedly ours will even brown the meat.

Meyer Microwave Pressure Cooker Red from Japan | eBay

or one of these...

Chef Renzos MICROMASTER Handy Gourmet Microwave Oven Pressure Cooker NIB | eBay

Old 07-27-2014, 02:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Hello All,

My house is awfully toasty. And, I just don't want to have the oven on or be over a hot stove. I have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker, not grill.

Please give some recommendation on some recipes that wont heat the house up any more.

I'll prefer things that I can have leftovers that reheat well. Also, what happnes if I cook chicken breast in the slow cooker without liquid? How much liquid do they need to not be a pain to clean?

Thanks!
I never put liquid in, unless the recipe calls for it. Just spray with Pam, or coat with a very thin layer of oil. I usually soak the crockpot overnight in the sink. Swish in the morning and it's clean.

Here's 3 recipes. The first one is my "go-to", since I always have the ingredients.
Sometimes the chicken goes in fresh, sometimes frozen. The frozen chicken will give you more liquid at the end of cooking. And if you want more leftovers, just put more chicken in

Crockpot Southwest Chicken
1 can whole kernel corn, drained (or 16 ounce frozen)
1 can black beans drained & rinsed
16 oz. jar salsa (chunky)
4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts halves
Dump corn, beans and 1/2 cup salsa in bottom of crock pot.
Top with chicken, then pour the rest of the salsa over the chicken.
Cook on low 4 - 6 hours
Can serve chicken over rice or pasta or eat without a starch. Can also serve as a burrito or salad topper, just chop up the chicken. Leftovers are good in tortillas, or used as a topping for nachos.

Crockpot Cheesy Mexican Chicken
4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 package mild taco seasoning mix
1 can (10 oz.) mild red enchilada sauce
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, not drained
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Place cubed chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle taco seasoning mix over chicken; stir, making sure all pieces are well coated.
Stir in enchilada sauce and tomatoes. Stir once again until well combined. Cover; cook on low 4 - 6 hours.
Uncover; sprinkle cheese over it all. Cover; cook on low about 10 minutes longer. Top with cilantro if desired.
Can serve chicken over rice or pasta or eat without a starch. Can also serve as a burrito or salad topper. Leftovers are good in tortillas, or used as a topping for nachos.

Crockpot Italian Chicken
Slice a few potatoes into large chunks
4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
16 ounces frozen green beans
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced or not
Sprinkle everything with a packet of Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
Cut a stick of butter into chunks and place on top of it all.
Cook on low 4 - 6 hours

Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Try one of these microwave silicon pressure cookers. We have one and they work well. Not sure which one we have though. Supposedly ours will even brown the meat.

Meyer Microwave Pressure Cooker Red from Japan | eBay

or one of these...

Chef Renzos MICROMASTER Handy Gourmet Microwave Oven Pressure Cooker NIB | eBay
Sorry OP! I completely missed the "recipes" in your request.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,752 times
Have a look at this site. There's a lot of material here, but well worth a look.

Southern Food About.com Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes

This is a recipe I've made a few times, and it's really delicious:

Chicken à la Parisienne

Cook Time: 7 hours
Total Time: 7 hours

Ingredients:

6 to 8 chicken breast halves
salt, pepper, and paprika
1/2 cup dry white wine (chicken broth or water can be substituted if you have no wine)
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup flour

Preparation:

Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper and paprika. Place in slow cooker. Mix wine,
soup and mushrooms until well combined. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken is tender but not too dry.
Mix sour cream and flour together; add to the Crock Pot. Cook for about 20
minutes longer, until heated through.
Serve with rice or noodles.
Serves 6 to 8.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
...How much liquid do they need to not be a pain to clean?...
Some folks should just microwave frozen dinners. I don't remember ever worrying about the cleaning before the quality .

Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I never put liquid in, unless the recipe calls for it. Just spray with Pam, or coat with a very thin layer of oil. I usually soak the crockpot overnight in the sink. Swish in the morning and it's clean.

Here's 3 recipes. The first one is my "go-to", since I always have the ingredients.
Sometimes the chicken goes in fresh, sometimes frozen. The frozen chicken will give you more liquid at the end of cooking. And if you want more leftovers, just put more chicken in

Crockpot Southwest Chicken
1 can whole kernel corn, drained (or 16 ounce frozen)
1 can black beans drained & rinsed
16 oz. jar salsa (chunky)
4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts halves
Dump corn, beans and 1/2 cup salsa in bottom of crock pot.
Top with chicken, then pour the rest of the salsa over the chicken.
Cook on low 4 - 6 hours
Can serve chicken over rice or pasta or eat without a starch. Can also serve as a burrito or salad topper, just chop up the chicken. Leftovers are good in tortillas, or used as a topping for nachos.

I love this one. I usually add a packet of taco seasoning and also shred the chicken.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:46 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Guess I don't see the point of slow-cooking a chicken breast that you can saute in 5-10 minutes.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:28 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Guess I don't see the point of slow-cooking a chicken breast that you can saute in 5-10 minutes.
Meat and poultry always turns out so tender when cooked in a slow cooker.

Once I made a meat loaf in the slow cooker. It tasted okay, but it was so tender that it fell apart. Won't be doing that again any time soon!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks!
Personally I do not like chicken breasts cooked in liquid and slowly. They are not the kind of meat that does well cooked that way. They need to be cooked quickly, like grilled or roasted. It is like cooking a good steak using a slow method. Slaw cooking is for meats that have fat and are tough when cooked fast. I understand you reason for wanting to avoid the hot stove, but breasts really do not take long to prepare. Here is an idea our daughter gave us years ago and it really worked well. Just put a whole chicken in your crock pot: you do not even have to use liquid, the chicken has enough to keep the meat moist. Add a little seasoning, turn on low and cook for about 8 hours. You will have a nice moist chicken with plenty of left overs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes