Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times

Advertisements

Thank-you everyone!!!!!!!!!! They all sound great so far!!! Please keep them coming!!!

Gandalara, I'm going to try yours this weekend at my 5th wheel because my mom was 1/2 swede, so this may be close to her family recipe as well. We have pot lock cocktail hour on Fridays and I think this would be a hit since it's going to be cooler weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
I hope they like them! The only time we can get Aunt Dee to make them now is at the holidays - says "I'm too old for that fussin' and cookin'!"

Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM

187 posts, read 589,267 times
This is the one I always go back to after trying others. I found it on the internet years ago. You can use all ground beef if you can't use the combination.

Swedish Meatballs - serves 4

2 TBL butter
3 TBL minced onion
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
3/4 cup milk or half-and-half
3/4 lb ground round
1/4 lb ground veal
1/4 lb ground pork
1 egg
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup cream or evaporated milk

In a large skillet melt the butter & saute the onions until they are golden brown.
Soak the crumbs in the milk, add the meats, egg, onions, salt & pepper & mix thoroughly. Shape the mixture into balls about 1 1/2" in diameter & roll in the flour. Reserve 1 TBL of the flour.
Melt enough additional butter in the skillet to cover the bottom & brown the meatballs over medium heat. Shake the pan occasionally so the meatballs retain their round shape. Remove to a serving dish & keep warm.
Combine the reserved flour with the cream & using a whisk, stir gradually into the pan juices. Simmer 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the gravy over the meatballs & serve hot.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 AM

122 posts, read 427,635 times
These are the absolute best meatballs in the world!

Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs.

My Grandmother used to make these for my Grandfather and I think they were his favorite things. She usually served them with buttered carrots. Mom always said these were Swedish meatballs, but I’m wondering if they aren’t more Danish – like my Grandfather.

They aren’t exactly diet food – but we don’t have them often so the splurge on the butter isn’t so bad. The meatballs are delicate and tender, and with homemade noodles they are spectacular.

1 1/2 C. soft bread crumbs
1 C Milk, evaporated milk, or cream
Combine in a large mixer bowl and let soak until the liquid is absorbed.

1 3/4 C chopped onion
2 cloves garlic minced
3 TBS butter
Saute onions and garlic in butter just until soft, season with salt & pepper to taste. Set aside and let cool.

1 3/4 lb ground beef, or ground beef and pork, or ground chicken or turkey.
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom,
1 egg
1 tsp black pepper
4 tsp dill weed
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
salt to taste
Combine in the mixer bowl the bread crumbs are in, adding the onions & butter. Using paddle attachment combine until well mixed.

Melt 3 TBS butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Shape meatballs and cook turning until done. Remove to bowl and keep warm until all the meatballs are done adding more butter as needed.

When all the meatballs are cooked add 3TBS butter or enough to the drippings to make 4 TBS. Add 4TBS flour and cook over medium heat.

Heat 2 cups milk and stir into roux until smooth. Add 1/4 tsp ground cardamom and 1 tsp dillweed, and salt & fresh ground pepper to taste. Return meatballs to sauce and heat through. Serve over parsleyed noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes