Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:59 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Any soup, stew, beans etc that has been long cooked, I add a bit of vinegar or lemon or lime juice to spruce up the flavors just before serving. And literally just a tsp at most. You won't taste it but it does perk it up. It also helps to cut down the salt/pepper to taste as well.
I have always put a little bit of vinegar in my chicken noodle soup! Tastes really good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have always put a little bit of vinegar in my chicken noodle soup! Tastes really good!
A lot of home cooks over-salt soups and stews because they can't figure-out what's missing to get that mouth-feel they are looking for. A bit of acid in the soup or stew often provides that missing ingredient. Two anchovy filets dissolved into a stew also awakens the palate.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:08 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
A lot of home cooks over-salt soups and stews because they can't figure-out what's missing to get that mouth-feel they are looking for. A bit of acid in the soup or stew often provides that missing ingredient. Two anchovy filets dissolved into a stew also awakens the palate.
I keep a jar of anchovy fillets in my fridge for this reason. I especially like it in my Asian stews/jiggae. It's really tasty too in spaghetti sauces.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:18 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I keep a jar of anchovy fillets in my fridge for this reason. I especially like it in my Asian stews/jiggae. It's really tasty too in spaghetti sauces.
Something that works really well is taking a whole beef tenderloin, slicing it into three strips (but leave it all connected at the top inch or so), and then slather it with chopped up anchovies, black olives, and pepper. Braid the three strips together and grill it. It sounds crazy, but it is awesome.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:20 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
This entire book looks to be nothing but a huge "I Never Thought"

Quote:
How many great ideas begin with a nagging thought in the middle of the night that should disappear by morning, but doesn’t? For Daniel Shumski, it was: Will it waffle? Hundreds of hours, countless messes, and 53 perfected recipes later, that answer is a resounding: Yes, it will! Steak? Yes! Pizza? Yes! Apple pie? Emphatically yes.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:56 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
This entire book looks to be nothing but a huge "I Never Thought"
Ha.
A George Foreman Grill is just a differently-shaped waffle iron

Old 10-02-2014, 01:23 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I too add lemon or lime juice to soups; also to split pea, I add a little sherry.

I used to occasionally go to a crepe place, part of a chain I believe whose name escapes me. Their menu suggested a glass of dry sherry along with their split pea soup (of course they called it Potage St Germain). It was a very good idea, a little in the soup and a little to sip, very tasty

Old 10-05-2014, 09:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I used to occasionally go to a crepe place, part of a chain I believe whose name escapes me. Their menu suggested a glass of dry sherry along with their split pea soup (of course they called it Potage St Germain). It was a very good idea, a little in the soup and a little to sip, very tasty
Was it the Magic Pan? They served sherry with split pea soup for customer to add themselves. i loved that place.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:30 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Was it the Magic Pan? They served sherry with split pea soup for customer to add themselves. i loved that place.
I think it was, it's been quite a while

It was in a NJ mall and convenient for a quick, light meal. IIRC, along with the soup they had a seafood crepe that was quite good and their prices were very reasonable.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
We often went to The Magic Pan in Phipps Plaza which is an upscale mall in Atlanta. Don't know why they went belly up cause they were always busy but I guess it was expensive. This is where I first had asparagus. My mother fixed very few green vegetables and asparagus seemed very foreign but I tried an asparagus crepe and fell in love with crepes and asparagus. I've tried several times to replicate the thin delicious crepes but it never works out and it is hard to find savory crepes on any menu...sweet yes but not savory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes