Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM

336 posts, read 574,795 times

Advertisements

I have used the Mississippi pot roast recipe. It is wonderful! Easy and soooo good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Do you brown it first ...ok I guess not if it's frozen, mine won't be frozen
No I do not brown first even if it is not frozen.
Just the other day I put a fresh roast in the slow cooker, set it on about 1.5 on my dial and let it go low and slow for about 14 hours. It was tender, juicy and beyond fork tender.
Also I did not add liquid either, just the roast.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
You should definitely brown it - it helps the flavor incredibly. Even if it is frozen just throw it in some lukewarm water for a few minutes to defrost the outer 1/8" or so. Then pat it dry, sprinkle with S + P, and sear it on all sides in a hot pan. Put that in the crock pot, then pour 1/2 cup of red wine in the pan, scrape the bottom of the pan, and pour that in the crock pot. Brown a roughly sliced onion, 6 or so sliced carrots, and 3 or 4 cloves or garlic in the same way and add those to the crock pot. Toss in a bay leaf, some thyme, sage, and peppercorns. Pour in chicken or beef stock to come up halfway on the roast and set it to cook.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
You should definitely brown it - it helps the flavor incredibly. Even if it is frozen just throw it in some lukewarm water for a few minutes to defrost the outer 1/8" or so. Then pat it dry, sprinkle with S + P, and sear it on all sides in a hot pan. Put that in the crock pot, then pour 1/2 cup of red wine in the pan, scrape the bottom of the pan, and pour that in the crock pot. Brown a roughly sliced onion, 6 or so sliced carrots, and 3 or 4 cloves or garlic in the same way and add those to the crock pot. Toss in a bay leaf, some thyme, sage, and peppercorns. Pour in chicken or beef stock to come up halfway on the roast and set it to cook.
Liquid half way on the roast, wouldn't that be too much , thanks for browning suggestion I was undecided about that , I'm doing it this weekend , all the questions I've asked you'd think I was making a pot roast for the queen instead of my brothers Lol

Anyone know if wine can be used in a cast iron fry pan , that's what I'll be browning it in .

Old 09-24-2014, 10:39 AM

Anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 way up the roast will work - It really depends on how much room is left in the pot and how much sauce you want at the end.

In general you should avoid putting anything acidic in a cast iron pan, although just deglazing the pan with wine should be fine. Just don't do the entire cook time in cast iron.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:48 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 way up the roast will work - It really depends on how much room is left in the pot and how much sauce you want at the end.

In general you should avoid putting anything acidic in a cast iron pan, although just deglazing the pan with wine should be fine. Just don't do the entire cook time in cast iron.
That's a lot of water for a crockpot though. Unless she is making beef stew.

I wouldn't use any, or just enough to cover the bottom if your crockpot runs a little hot. Condensation and glorious juices from the beef will give you plenty for sauce later. Good luck with your roast!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:54 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Mmm now I know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow. These all sound awesome

Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
That's a lot of water for a crockpot though. Unless she is making beef stew.

I wouldn't use any, or just enough to cover the bottom if your crockpot runs a little hot. Condensation and glorious juices from the beef will give you plenty for sauce later. Good luck with your roast!
Pot Roast is basically braised beef, and if you don't have liquid then it ain't braised. Oh, and don't use water, use wine and stock. They add a lot of flavor, which is why you use them. It's important to make sure the aromatic vegetables (carrots, onions, etc) are covered in liquid to really get the flavors blended together.

When it's done you'll want to de-grease the liquid before using, and probably reduce it and correct the seasoning to taste. If you haven't cooked the roast in some added liquid, the liquid left at the end of the cook will be nothing but grease.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Pot Roast is basically braised beef, and if you don't have liquid then it ain't braised. Oh, and don't use water, use wine and stock. They add a lot of flavor, which is why you use them. It's important to make sure the aromatic vegetables (carrots, onions, etc) are covered in liquid to really get the flavors blended together.
I guess my crockpot is different from yours. I would end up with soup if I used that much liquid. My condenses like crazy so I do get plenty of sauce by the end of the day.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I would definitely brown it first so it doesn't come out delicious, but also gray and watery-looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes