U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,626,698 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to do a pot roast next weekend has anyone had luck doing it in the crock pot instead of the oven method ..I need it falling apart like my mother-in laws use to do , any ideas welcome
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 AM

35,104 posts, read 44,269,413 times
Do it all the time, low and slow, I put mine in frozen without liquid, some use liquid.
When it is about an hour from being done I add carrots and potatoes.

Very good indeed and easy as plugging in the slow cooker, putting the roast in and turning it on.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Do it all the time, low and slow, I put mine in frozen without liquid, some use liquid.
When it is about an hour from being done I add carrots and potatoes.

Very good indeed and easy as plugging in the slow cooker, putting the roast in and turning it on.
Do you brown it first ...ok I guess not if it's frozen, mine won't be frozen

Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM

7,672 posts, read 10,986,733 times
Here's a crazy one but it works so well. And I am not a fan of "packets" but this is a no sub recipe for me. I don't brown it but I don't put it in frozen. The peppers disappear into it and doesn't make it spicy at all.

Slow Cooker Mississippi Roast Recipe | Just A Pinch Recipes

Old 09-19-2014, 01:42 PM

13,724 posts, read 16,776,510 times
I always cook roast in the crockpot. I cook it on low in a RIVAL crockpot (I have tried it in other brands and it came out tough) for 10-12 hours and it comes out falling apart and easy to shred apart with a fork while still hot. It's perfect. All I do is put a splash of water in the bottom and sprinkle seasoning salt on it.

I also use rump roast or eye of round roast. They might have a piece of fat on the outside, but it's not all through it like with a chuck roast. So it's easy to shred the meat without having to separate fat. And it's still tender, even without a lot of fat!

I don't brown it first. I throw it in the crockpot early in the morning with a splash of water and sprinkle it with seasoning salt, put the lid on, and don't touch it or take the lid off for the next 10 to 12 hours!

Old 09-19-2014, 01:59 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,999,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
I'm wanting to do a pot roast next weekend has anyone had luck doing it in the crock pot instead of the oven method ..I need it falling apart like my mother-in laws use to do , any ideas welcome
Cannot even remember the last time I used the oven for a roast.

I halve potatoes, salt & pepper, and put the frozen roast on top.
Seasonings and vegetables change depending on what I want.

Sometimes it's a can of condensed mushroom soup and a packet of dry onion soup.
Sometimes it's a jar of Peperoncini peppers, juice and all.
Sometimes it's sliced onions, minced garlic, sliced carrots, and a humongous amount of whole mushrooms.
Sometimes it's a large splash of Worcestershire sauce.
Sometimes it's a splash of soy sauce and a drained can of sliced water chestnuts. Add frozen peas about an hour before the meat is done.

Anyway you can make it in the oven, you can make it in a crock pot!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:51 PM

20,799 posts, read 9,008,431 times
I made one last week and it melted in our mouths

3-4 lb roast
1 envelope brown gravy
1 envelope Good Seasons Italian Dressing
1 envelope Lipton onion soup
(add a little garlic powder to your liking )
Do a quick brown of your roast ( usually do it under the broiler)

Place in crockpot

Mix the 3 envelopes together with about 1 and 2/3 cup of water and pour over the roast...Add carrots, quartered potatoes and onions (mushroom optional)..

Simmer all day in the crock pot low and it falls apart nicely.

Less liquid and low and slow is what gives it the great flavor.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:56 PM

36,560 posts, read 47,169,410 times
1 can Golden Mushroom soup mixed with 1 packet of Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix.

Lay on top of roast in crock.

Add a small package of baby carrots if you like. Potatoes, too, if you wish.

Cook on low for 8 or 9 hours.

Pull roast, potatoes and carrots out, make gravy out of the liquid in the crock. Expand the volume of the liquid using the water from the mashed potatoes (if you didn't cook potatoes with the roast) you just made.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:50 PM

Some good ideas thank you all.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 PM

35,483 posts, read 64,741,053 times
I use a packet of onion soup if I have one; I usually don't, and that stuff is awfully salty. So instead I'll use beef broth or red wine and onions, as well as potatoes, carrots, turnips, garlic, a bay leaf, maybe some parsley, a little pepper ... whatever's handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes