Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:53 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times

Advertisements

I just recently bought a kitchen scale (Typhoon brand, off of Amazon), and I'm excited to start baking products using weighted measurements rather than cups, mostly because I've heard how much more accurate weighing ingredients is, and that what I bake will come our the same every time, rather than sometimes being a bit dryer, sometimes being a bit wetter, etc.

Has anyone else here converted from cups to weights? Did you find that it actually did make a difference? Is it more of a pain, or easier than cups?

I'd also love some great cookbook recommendations that use weights instead of cups. I've ordered the cookbook from one of my YouTube favorites (Cupcake Jemma), but that's all I've currently got that doesn't use cups.

EDIT: I put this under "recipes" because I'm looking for good cookbooks that measure by weight. But Mods, if this is the wrong place for this thread, then please feel free to move it where it should go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:43 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
What unit of measure is your scale?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I tried this during the 1990's(big experimental time with cooking for me).

Meh, went back to measurments.

If I was baking commercially or every single day maybe I'd weigh vs measure, maybye.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:21 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Weighing is definitely more consistent for everything. I've been using a scale for about 15 years and love it. One of the best things is that you don't have all sorts of measuring cups that need to be cleaned - just add what you need to and then zero the scale to add the next ingredient. I prefer to work with grams if possible, since it's much easier to scale things up or down. I also use my scale 3 or 4 times a week to make brines. If you want a 5% brine for a chicken just add 20g of salt to 400g water. It's a lot more accurate than measuring cups or spoons, and explained some issues I'd had with brined foods being too salty.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:05 AM

I think I need to return my scale. It measures in grams, ounces, and pounds, but it's analog. I decided to get that after reading that some digital scales stopped working. That's fine and all, but when I had a recipe yesterday that called for 85 grams of flour, I couldn't measure for 85. I basically just had to get the needle in between 75 and 100 grams and hope for the best (which didn't work, although I think that's actually a problem with the recipe, not the scale, ultimately).

I don't know - maybe I'll keep it and get a digital as well, but like Attrill said, I'd like to add an ingredient to the bowl, zero out, then add another, etc. With this one, I can zero out, but it means twisting a little dial with my fingers, which isn't very comfortable.

So what digital scale do people like most?

Old 09-21-2014, 12:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
1. I bake by weight when the recipe calls for it. Otherwise, I'll use the regular cups measure.
2. I have this digital scale: Amazon.com: EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, Silver: Food Scale: Kitchen & Dining

Old 09-21-2014, 01:22 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I just recently bought a kitchen scale (Typhoon brand, off of Amazon), and I'm excited to start baking products using weighted measurements rather than cups, mostly because I've heard how much more accurate weighing ingredients is, and that what I bake will come our the same every time, rather than sometimes being a bit dryer, sometimes being a bit wetter, etc.

Has anyone else here converted from cups to weights? Did you find that it actually did make a difference? Is it more of a pain, or easier than cups?

I'd also love some great cookbook recommendations that use weights instead of cups. I've ordered the cookbook from one of my YouTube favorites (Cupcake Jemma), but that's all I've currently got that doesn't use cups.

EDIT: I put this under "recipes" because I'm looking for good cookbooks that measure by weight. But Mods, if this is the wrong place for this thread, then please feel free to move it where it should go.
Find a copy of "The Cake Bible" or subsequent books by the same author. Book has an extensive and very exact section listing conversions of most common baking items from volume to weight. Also listed are the weights for various baking or cooking items such as one cup of various flours, cornstarch, etc... along with eggs, milk, butter etc....

Have been baking by weight for years now and once you get the hang of it tis streets better than measuring out cups and so forth. For one thing you can simply pour/measure out things into various bowls and such or depending upon one's skill and the recipe everything into the same bowl.

Using a scale is invaluable for scaling a recipe up or down if you want to make more or less of something.

If you are going to purchase a new scale look around for a real good one that has functions you will need such as "tare" (zero out).

Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I just bought that scale in the white/chrome version. I think using a digital scale will be much easier than my mechanical one.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
For the last few years I've been using this scale and have been very happy with it. It goes up to nearly 20 Lb.s, which is nice if you're using a heavy bowl to mix ingredients.

A really great book for baking by weight is The Bread Baker's Apprentice, it's probably the best bread recipe book out there.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
For the last few years I've been using this scale and have been very happy with it. It goes up to nearly 20 Lb.s, which is nice if you're using a heavy bowl to mix ingredients.

A really great book for baking by weight is The Bread Baker's Apprentice, it's probably the best bread recipe book out there.
I agree with the Bread Baker's Apprentice! Love homemade breads and pizza but DH is counting carbs so I don't get them as often as I would like.

Any other recommendations for digital scales? As I recall, America's Test Kitchen did some studies on them but I can't find their articles at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes