Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:39 AM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

If that is going into the crockpot, I'd just leave it out. I would substitute apple cider, but it already has 2 cups of apple cider in it. Two cups of liquid should be plenty for the crock pot.

If it needs more liquid, either increase the apple cider or use water. There is plenty of flavor in there to turn the water into broth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:41 AM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
PS: OK, I understand that you don't want to buy wine. If you change your mind, I'm a non-drinker and I buy a small bottle of screw top wine to cook with. The leftovers will keep for a very long time.

Some stores sell the little individual bottle of wine, just enough to cook with

Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Chicken or vegetable stock, and also a couple lemon slices to add the acidity that the wine would add.
I wondered what the wine was contributing...so it's acidity, huh? Thanks for your answer, I'll try this...it sounds easiest of all the suggestions.

And thanks to everyone who replied!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I watched Lidia cook this today and it looked great. I love pork roasts but never know how to cook them.

I do not drink, and while I am not opposed to cooking with alcohol at all, I do not want to have to go buy white wine for this recipe (link below).

Lidia's Italy: Recipes: APPLE CIDER VINEGAR BRAISED PORK SHOULDER

Could I substitute chicken broth (or something else) for the white wine without making a lot of difference?

(And please...there is no use in anyone telling me to just go buy the wine....I'm not going to and I'm not going to have a discussion on all the reasons why. )
Yes, you can use any type of liquid, it won't taste exactly the same, but it should still be good. I don't think anyone would expect to try and push you into using wine. You have your reasons, that is enough. BTW, if you want another great braised pork shoulder recipe try the one Melissa on $10 dinners used years ago. That is the one I always use, it too calls for wine. You can use apple cider as well, if you don't want to use stock. Melissa's calls for both stock and wine.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I would hesitate subbing chicken stock fully as it might get too salty. I would probably just use half water half stock. Or if you have homemade stock with no salt added, then use that. (I don't salt my broth too much) I don't think it would add too much acidity as the Apple Cider Vinegar would dominate over it. I think the wine is a flavorful way of diluting the ACV.

While I won't tell you to use wine, but Target has some non alcoholic white wine that I used for cooking when I was cooking for a friend of mine. It was a decent sub close to the original. (she really wanted some shrimp scampi but didn't consume alcohol anymore) Check out www.totalwine.com for local wines that might be available in your area IF you are interested.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:04 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
I wondered what the wine was contributing...so it's acidity, huh? Thanks for your answer, I'll try this...it sounds easiest of all the suggestions.

That's not all it contributes, but that is a component.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
I wondered what the wine was contributing...so it's acidity, huh?
Not flavor?

I'd second the suggestion of non alcoholic wine. Look for it in the beverage aisle, not where you'd find the cooking sherry and other nasty "cooking" wines.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think anyone would expect to try and push you into using wine.
Ah, but someone did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Just buy the darn wine.
Others still suggested buying small bottles, although admittedly more politely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
While I won't tell you to use wine, but Target has some non alcoholic white wine that I used for cooking when I was cooking for a friend of mine.
Non-alcoholic wine? I don't understand that term. Seems like that would just be...grape juice.

But I may give that a try some time, if it's a "decent sub", as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not flavor?
Not sure why the slapping of the forehead, but FWIW, I do not find the taste of alcohol of any kind appealing. It may be different when it's cooked, I don't know....I've read that the alcohol all cooks out, but America's Test Kitchen says it really doesn't.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:58 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:

Yeah, in general acidity is the main component of white wine. If you left white wine out of a recipe for a basic chicken reduction sauce I think it would have large (negative) impact on the flavor. But there's so much vinegar in the recipe you linked to that I don't think there will be a major impact from leaving out the wine, just add some lemon to compensate.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:03 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Ah, but someone did:

Others still suggested buying small bottles, although admittedly more politely.

Non-alcoholic wine? I don't understand that term. Seems like that would just be...grape juice.

But I may give that a try some time, if it's a "decent sub", as you say.

Not sure why the slapping of the forehead, but FWIW, I do not find the taste of alcohol of any kind appealing. It may be different when it's cooked, I don't know....I've read that the alcohol all cooks out, but America's Test Kitchen says it really doesn't.
I had a small glass of non alcoholic wine once. While I didn't like it, it was not nearly as sweet as grape juice.

There's plenty of acid in the recipe so the wine must be for flavor.

Most of the alcohol will be cooked off in 1 hour and 45 minutes. You're not going to consume much of the liquid anyway.

Every ingredient in a recipe adds a flavor note. That doesn't means it overpowers the dish.

I recently made french toast for the first time... in a long time. I put a little Madagascar vanilla bean paste, freshly grated nutmeg, cinnamon, pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar in the egg dip. I put it aside for a while to let the flavors develop. I'll pat myself on the back here and say that was terrific french toast. It didn't taste like vanilla, cinnamon or nutmeg french toast--it just tasted good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes