Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 PM

92 posts, read 122,749 times

Advertisements

I just love my pressure cooker and no that the weather is hot I like the fact that it doesn't heat up my kitchen.

My favorite pressure cooker meals are:

Ham and Beans made with ham steak, northern beans, green onions, cubed potatoes, salt and pepper.

Chili, I brown my hamburger halfway with onions and salt and pepper. Then I throw in a can of chili beans, packet of chili seasoning (sorry I know it's cheating), can of diced stewed tomatoes (or whatever kind of tomatoes I have on hand). I've also been known to add a can of bought chili without beans to make it stretch a little bit further.

Anyone else wanna share their favorite pressure cooker recipes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
Fake oven-roasted beef... I brown the roast cut of beef in a skillet first, and then put some liquid browning on it before putting it in the pressure cooker. It comes out wonderfully tender, and you'd never know it wasn't a real oven roast.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:30 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times
I love to make my chicken adobo in my pressure cooker:

skinless thigh chicken (normally about 8 pc)

1/2 cup soy sauce

2/3 cup white vinegar

1 cp water

It is a wonderful Filipino dish served up with rice....

Old 07-20-2014, 10:34 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
I like to cook Indian style food so my favorite isn't really a recipe but an on going experiment:

Heat oil, add onion and your favorite spices (cumin, black mustard seed, garlic, corriander...) when the onion and spices have toasted a bit, add your favorite veggies, in large chunks. Top with tomatoes and coconut milk ~ 1/2c, do not stir as the tomatoes are soft. Pressure cook for 7-10 minutes and allow to cool. Gently stir and serve with brown rice or quinoa.

I use the 5 qt. cooker made in Switzerland and love it for many things. I've only had it for a few months now but have found lots of recipes on Google for pressure cooking. Best of all, I've only scortch the pot three times now. I'm getting the hang of it.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM

92 posts, read 122,749 times
Default Heidi I May Try This Recipe

It sounds simply YUM! What I like is that it is so easy, you just add whatever you like and I can use whatever ingredients I have on hand.
Thanks for this tip!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:20 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,821 times
Default Anyone use a pressure cooker ?

Seems there very popular in the UK now, I don't see point in them except to tenderize tough meats , not many attractive recipes for them either , I just wondered if anyone used one often , or is it just another gadget to find room for .

Old 11-09-2014, 03:25 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
If you're looking for a reason, you probably don't need one. I think I have one because my mother always had one. While I do primarily use it to tenderize meats like pot roast, it makes quick work of cooking (soaked) dried beans, brown rice and hard vegetables like rutabaga. I also cook cabbage for ham and cabbage in it. I like to cut the head into six wedges and serve it that way. It would take a long time to cook those on the stove top.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:33 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,445 times
I was just thinking about this today--how timely. Yes, I use a pressure cooker quite often. I live in Mexico City so I've had to adapt to how to best cook here. People use propane tanks for hot water and cooking gas---so many cooks use a pressure cooker to save on the cooking gas. I've become accustomed to using one in the four years I've lived here. I cook chicken, beef, pork, all sorts of beans, etc. It's amazing how fast you can prepare the meat for soups and other guisados (stews). Making chicken or beef soup is a snap with a pressure cooker! I took me a few failed attemps to get the hang of cooking with it (especially beans), but I am getting it!

Old 11-09-2014, 03:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Seems there very popular in the UK now, I don't see point in them except to tenderize tough meats , not many attractive recipes for them either , I just wondered if anyone used one often , or is it just another gadget to find room for .

They're very popular in the United States as well and my Mother has had one for years that she uses often.
She is not limited to what she cooked in it either and everything she made turned out great.

Personally I have used a pressure cooker one time and whatever I did wrong I did very wrong the whole thing exploded and I got rid of it after that and never replaced it.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
Yes, I do. Great for soups. Everything cooks in very short amount of time. So they are a nice alternative to the slow cooker and for people that work, yet want to cook stews, etc. that take a long time to cook. Corned beef and cabbage is good in there. There are recipes specifically for the pressure cooker. I have the lagostina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes