Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Haven't seen that one for awhile - YUM.
Double YUM.
I used to make that every year Thanksgiving was at my house.
The aroma of the pretzel crust baking made me drool
It does smell divine while baking,and tastes even better. My oldest granddaughter wanted to taste it,but never got around to making it,so I surprised her and hubby last year by taking them a batch,and he flipped over it,and requested it this year,lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 06:53 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Where are you from/what language do you speak? I can't make head or tail of your question! Tinned fruit is fruit. In a tin. The end. It is preserved, yes, and if you had a larder full you might refer to it as such, but individually, no, that would be a jam or chutney style of thing. I'd assumed tinned fruit was fairly universal, but apparently it's an anglo saxon thing? I think the closest approximation would be to stew some fruit in sugar water until it's just barely cooked but still holds it shape. For example, tinned peaches look like this

http://preparednesspro.files.wordpre...te-peaches.jpg

Interesting aside, in America they don't do tinned apples. All sorts of apple themed tinned items, but never just apples.
I'm from the United States.

Yes, we have that here, too. We refer to it as canned fruit; it also comes in jars. We actually do have "tinned" apples, but it might be a relatively new, or perhaps regional, thing. I was surprised to find them. Preserves are different; they are a little like jam, but they're made with chunked fruit. I wasn't sure we were talking about the same thing. I know that tinned fish refers to something like sardines, not canned fish, so I wasn't sure. I guess I could have just Googled it in the first place.

Last edited by krmb; 11-20-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 07:21 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
I'm a big pie person. Was browsing the Internet this week trying to find something a little different to make than the regular standby's like apple, cherry, etc. Came across something called a buttermilk pie that got good reviews. Seems to be more of a Southern thing and I'm a big Southern food person, even though I live in Ohio. Made 2 of them last night and they turned out well. Very easy to make and extremely tasty. I will admit, the name of the pie turned me off a bit, because I can't stand buttermilk. But you don't taste it at all!

3 eggs
1 7/8 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 uncooked pie crusts

Preheat oven to 325.

Mix all ingredients and pour into pie crust.

Bake for 30-45 min when pie is golden brown and not wiggly anymore.

*Makes 1 pie.
Ooh! I want to try that! It sounds like a Southern twist on custard.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:23 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
Have one little sliver left of what my grandmother called "Lemon Jello" cake:

Box of butter recipe yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 small box lemon Jello
3/4 cup cooking oil (I use canola)
3/4 cup HOT water
1 tablespoon lemon zest
Oven 325 degrees - grease & flour a tube pan

Mix cake mix, eggs, oil. Add Jello that has been dissolved in 3/4 cup hot water. Add lemon zest. Beat for 2 minutes (pretty much as you would a regular cake mix). Bake until done. Pour glaze over warm cake.

Glaze - 1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 Tablespoons melted butter
juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon. (I start with 1/2 lemon & add more if needed)
Mix together & drizzle over all.

{There are a couple of folks in the family who would rather have this cake with a full on Lemon Butter Cream frosting than a glaze. }
This is the lemon cake that my mom has always made. I LOVE IT!!!!

Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm from the United States.

Yes, we have that here, too. We refer to it as canned fruit; it also comes in jars. We actually do have "tinned" apples, but it might be a relatively new, or perhaps regional, thing. I was surprised to find them. Preserves are different; they are a little like jam, but they're made with chunked fruit. I wasn't sure we were talking about the same thing. I know that tinned fish refers to something like sardines, not canned fish, so I wasn't sure. I guess I could have just Googled it in the first place.
What other way of having sardines is there other than tinned/canned or fresh?

Where have you found tinned apples? (brand and store and state please, so I can plan how to get some)

Old 11-20-2014, 04:59 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Snarky are we today?

I too have no idea what tinned is and was wondering the same thing. And was thinking it might be like a canned pie filling. But after reading the above quoted part of your reply, I have no wish to read the rest. I will let Google answer it.
I cannot conceive of a native English speaker who doesn't know the word "tin". That's not snark, that's gobsmacked.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
I cannot conceive of a native English speaker who doesn't know the word "tin". That's not snark, that's gobsmacked.
Consider yourself doubly gobsmacked then, you met two.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:18 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
What other way of having sardines is there other than tinned/canned or fresh?

Where have you found tinned apples? (brand and store and state please, so I can plan how to get some)
I'm not the OP, but there's several to choose from, here are a few brands to look for in the stores.

Amazon Best Sellers: Best Canned & Jarred Apples

I've seen them at Harris Teeter, Earth Fare, Publix, Ollies, Big Lots. This is in NC. I've also seen them in Florida in their grocery stores.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:31 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just made Apple Wraps tonight. So easy and everyone likes them..Pop them into the oven during dinner.

1 pkg 8 Crescent Rolls
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
3 T melted butter
7 oz can Mountain Dew
Vanilla ice cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350
Roll one apple wedge into a crescent roll and place in 2 rows in a 8x8 baking dish
Combine sugar, cinnamon and butter
Sprinkle over crescent rolls
Pour Mountain Dew over crescent rolls
Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden
Serve warm with ice cream topping.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:22 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,009 times
Stores here in SW Tennessee have apples in cans ( in a couple different forms). Comstock makes a pie filling with apple slices that are seasoned with sugar & cinnamon in a thick-ish sauce. All you need is a pie crust. We warm these & eat them like a side of baked apples, sans crust. These are much like what you get at Cracker Barrel. Lucks brand makes something called Fried Apples and Stewed Apples. Again, we eat these warmed & maybe a dab of butter. Forget the brand, but there are also apples in jars. Have had these products for ages now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes