U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 10:09 AM

12,192 posts, read 6,645,840 times

Advertisements

Last night, I made a beef stew (brisket, many type of beans, potato, feta). I do the spices first, putting the peanut butter down on the olive oil and then the spices into the peanut butter (garlic, onion, chilli powder, paprika, cayenne, tobasco, oregano, Italian seasoning, rosemary, dill) and then put the rest o the stuff in. Finally, I use a tea as the stew water.

Last night, I tasted a very delightful "sequence" in the stew but couldn't place it. You think it might have been the dill reacting with the peanut butter, perhaps with the brisket as well?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 12:10 PM

7,672 posts, read 10,765,370 times
I am not trying to be rude but you have so many spices and flavors going on there that I doubt it was just the dill.

Taking it bit by bit: Peanut butter-that does well in a tablespoon form. It gives a nuttiness to stew. (I make an African nut stew that uses PB as a shortcut)

The herbs-dill and rosemary doesn't quite go with oregano and italian seasoning. it's usually one group or the other. Dill and rosemary are very strong on their own or with each other if it's Greek. (I say usually as there are some recipes that will mix)

The spices, chili powder, cayenne and paprika. These three will make it chili like and again, with the mix of herbs above, it's quite unusual.

So you are making essentially 3 meals from a very different flavor palate into one. It's bound to taste muddled. Kind of like what happens when you mix all the vibrant beautiful paint colors of the rainbow into one. It will be a muddy brown/grayish/black.

I haven't even touched the fact you used tea, yet another delicate flavor lost among all the herbs and spices and condiments you used. Feta cheese...which again with all the flavors above, would also be lost.

Try simplifying it and just use one grouping at a time.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:12 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,865,673 times
LOL - saw the thread title and thought ...
"I grew up on peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches!"
My big brother introduced me to them. I still have them occasionally

If I put peanut butter with any kind of meat/poultry - it's definitely going to be an asian-flavored meal.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:21 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,441,140 times
I don't see how any of us could tell what is going on with these taste's, because you have ingredients listed, but no recipe. I make beef stew that most people seem to enjoy, but it doesn't have peanut butter or dill in it, it has beef and vegetables along with a can of V8 juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or