Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 04:37 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times

Advertisements

I think it sounds delicious. When I look at recipes on line to compare.....I don't see any that call for sautéing the oysters first...but they all say to drain the oysters and reserve 1/2 cup of their liquid, to add later....mixed with the cream is one suggestion....some call for saltines others call for ritz or town house buttery crackers.....several say to add worchestershire sauce mixed in with liquid ingredients. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/scalloped-oysters-2

Then there were several that called for corn cut from the cob as an addition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 09:33 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think it sounds delicious. When I look at recipes on line to compare.....I don't see any that call for sautéing the oysters first...but they all say to drain the oysters and reserve 1/2 cup of their liquid, to add later....mixed with the cream is one suggestion....some call for saltines others call for ritz or town house buttery crackers.....several say to add worchestershire sauce mixed in with liquid ingredients. Scalloped Oysters Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Just to clarify, he only says to saute fresh oysters. The canned will be somewhat cooked in the canning process? ( i don't know the answer as I never used canned) I am going to use the ones in the seafood department in the tubs that has just the raw meats in it.

Snipped from OP

Quote:
Canned oysters (or sauteed fresh oysters)

Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Just to clarify, he only says to saute fresh oysters. The canned will be somewhat cooked in the canning process? ( i don't know the answer as I never used canned) I am going to use the ones in the seafood department in the tubs that has just the raw meats in it.

Snipped from OP
I did understand that distinction......we have fresh shucked oysters in the market in those little tubs with the clear cover.....that is what I plan to use also.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think it sounds delicious. When I look at recipes on line to compare.....I don't see any that call for sautéing the oysters first...but they all say to drain the oysters and reserve 1/2 cup of their liquid, to add later....mixed with the cream is one suggestion....some call for saltines others call for ritz or town house buttery crackers.....several say to add worchestershire sauce mixed in with liquid ingredients. Scalloped Oysters Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Our original recipe uses canned oysters, but I wanted to try raw oysters. The raw oysters created a mushy mess, so I tried them sautéed. When I sautéed them first the texture was okay, but the flavor wasn't as intense as with the canned oysters.

There are several variations on this dish, I'm pretty sure I would like them all .

Old 12-11-2014, 02:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Just to clarify, he only says to saute fresh oysters. The canned will be somewhat cooked in the canning process? ( i don't know the answer as I never used canned).
The canned oysters are definitely cooked (well-cooked) and have an intense oyster flavor. Our original recipe comes out of the mid-west, so canned oysters were easier to acquire than fresh.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:57 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
This sounds like something my husband would enjoy eating. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:16 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You saute the oysters first? I've never heard of doing that.
Me neither, but perhaps it's worth a try.

Here is my English grandmothers recipe, from the 1940s.

Escalloped Oysters

12 saltines, crushed with a rolling pin
1 cup oysters, looked over and chopped
1/2 cup milk
1 small egg
1/8 cup melted butter, or more
Salt and pepper
Stir all together, and place in buttered casserole
Bake until well browned.

I will probably make this this year, since it will be just the two of us, and it's a small recipe.

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-16-2016 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes