Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,474,115 times

Advertisements

We have this regularly, and it's tasty and economical. The basic recipe is from Allrecipes.

Bow Ties with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream

1 pkg bow tie pasta
2 tbs olive oil
1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings romoved and crumbled
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup diced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 (28 oz) can diced Italian style tomatoes, drained a little
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
minced fresh parsley

Heat oil over medium heat and cook sausage and pepper flakes until sausage is evenly browned. Stir in onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve over cooked bow ties and sprinkle with parsley. Makes 5 to 6 servings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,171,575 times
This is quick, easy and inexpensive- and my kids always love it.

Saute garlic in olive oil, add canned tomatoes, basil (fresh is best, but can be dried), salt and pepper. Cook till hot, then toss with spaghetti noodles. Make more than you think you will need- my family always comes back for seconds or thirds.

All kinds of other goodies can be added during the sautee process- we love broccoli, can add all kinds of veggies or left over meat. Can also sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

Use the money saved for an inexpensive bottle of Cavit Pinot Grigio and life is good!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,460,227 times
Old fashion Cajun breakfast. Most of our meals are made with rice. In the morning we have leftover rice so we fry up some eggs (whites hard, yolk soft), reheat some of the rice, put the eggs over the rice, add a little spice (usually hotsauce to taste), and stir to mix up the eggs and rice. When I was in the navy, one of our cooks was from Louisiana and he got some strange looks from the other cooks when he put leftover rice on the breakfast line. Those of us from Louisiana ran to the breakfast line for the rice. We were not alone. Right behind us were the Asian or Pacific island guys. We all got our eggs and rice together with a bottle of Tabasco. The other people were looking at us like we were strange. We didn't care and it was a chance for two different cultures to come together over food.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Two things my husband learned to love in military service: rice and hot sauce. He must have been hanging out with you guys.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 AM

16 posts, read 50,679 times
I dont know if this has been posted yet, but my mom makes this great cheap recipe. I dont know what it is called.

1 box elbow macaroni
1 can tomato soup
1 package bacon cut up in small pieces and fried.

Boil the macaroni, mix in the bacon (grease n all) and add tomato soup. Mix well. Let me tell you I HATE tomato soup, you could not pay me to eat it but this recipe is AWSOME and CHEAP!!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 21,004 times
Default Frugal and Healthy Recipes

Hi All,
I think the best free source for recipes is the web now, there is no need to spend money buying books, I love to use YouTube when I search for video recipes-- it makes it easier for me. I prefer peoples personal recipes instead of whats in a book, I also use foodfit.com and didyoudiet.com all 3 are great sources for healthy cooking. Didyoudiet.com also features some video recipes which are easy to whip up and easy on the wallet.
Janine

Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,698,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
This is quick, easy and inexpensive- and my kids always love it.

Saute garlic in olive oil, add canned tomatoes, basil (fresh is best, but can be dried), salt and pepper. Cook till hot, then toss with spaghetti noodles. Make more than you think you will need- my family always comes back for seconds or thirds.

All kinds of other goodies can be added during the sautee process- we love broccoli, can add all kinds of veggies or left over meat. Can also sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
I make something like this. I dice carrots, green beans, corn, broccoli - whatever veggies we have on hand. boil or steam until tender/crisp. Boil a pot of spaghetti noodles. drain. Add veggies and some chopped/diced chicken or kielbasa, garlic, parm, pepper and salt to taste. sometimes I throw in a LITTLE bit of half and half.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:32 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,419,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I make something like this. I dice carrots, green beans, corn, broccoli - whatever veggies we have on hand. boil or steam until tender/crisp. Boil a pot of spaghetti noodles. drain. Add veggies and some chopped/diced chicken or kielbasa, garlic, parm, pepper and salt to taste. sometimes I throw in a LITTLE bit of half and half.
I would modify this recipe slightly and use WHOLE CREAM, lots of it...

Old 09-30-2009, 01:52 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,540,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchime View Post
I like to divide up meat to make several meals from one larger package and stock up/ freeze sale meats.
I like to stock up on meat, too. I noticed the stew meat cost $1 more per pound if cut up so I bought it uncut & stewed it up until it was crumbly & tender.

I put 1/2 of the meat with beef stew seasoning & the 1/2 of meat with chili seasoning. I paid $21 for about 5 pounds of meat (veggie fed - I'm really picky about meat). I'm waiting to see how many meals I can get from this indulgence.

So far, I've used the stew meat with carrots & potatoes frozen from a different beef stew adventure. So far, so good - 3 meals & plenty to go.

I have to freeze it up into 3 portion containers as we feed 3 people at a time.

Some of the stew I'll put in individual containers with frozen veggies for my boyfriend to take to work.

Kate

Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,540,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Another cheap meal for me that I don't have to cook!
My local chinese take-out has a bunch of lunch specials, all $4.50 with soup!!
I sneak in just before 3 before the lunch special is over, and for a family of 4, it costs me $18.00 for take-out chinese food.
Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes