Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 05:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times

Advertisements

TACO PIE
Serves 4-6
Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger
1 12 oz bag tortilla chips
1 16 oz jar salsa
12 oz shredded Mexican Mix cheese
1 16 oz tub sour cream

Pre-heat oven to 350.
Brown & crumble the hamburger. Drain & set aside.
Break up the tortilla chips.
Put 1/3 of the chips in the bottom of the casserole dish. Add 1/3 of the hamburger, 1/3 of the salsa, & 1/3 of the cheese.
Continue layering until all ingredients used.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serve w/ the sour cream on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 03:46 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,330,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Other than beans, I mean. we've got beans coming out of ears, lol. I've got a family of 5 and am trying to add more frugal recipes (in addition to already shopping frugally) to our rotation. We are willing to try any type of ethnic foods, so please, don't worry about that.
cook 1 lb. macaroni on top of the stove- you can use any kind, but I prefer spirals;
melt cheese into it (6 slices of sliced cheese, or equivalent of block cheese);
add 1 or 2 cans "Cream of-" soup (mushroom, chicken, whatever you like);

use non-stick spray (Pam or store-brand) on square, flat pan;
bake for an hour.

(somehow it seems baked mac&cheese is better than just cooking on on the stove, & the creamed soup adds to the flavor & texture)

p.s. don't add water to the soup

Last edited by Tia 914; 10-05-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,104,409 times
oodles of noodles & anything...

Old 10-15-2009, 03:56 AM

737 posts, read 1,643,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
My Mama's Homemade Dumplings

2 C unbleached flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Sift together dry ingredients and add:

1/4 C (4 tbsp) butter or margerine (I like Land O' Lakes butter with canola oil)
Cut into flour mixture until crumbly. Add enough buttermilk to make a stiff dough. Drop by spoonfuls into gently boiling liquid. Lower heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.

You can add some garlic powder and shredded cheddar cheese to make cheddar garlic drop bisquits as well. Just drop the dough by the spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet and bake until golden.
I make my dumplings almost the same except I use self rising flour and leave out the baking power/soda. I will also add seasonings to my dumplings don't ask which I just go thu each time and add what I have a hanking for.

I will also make my pancakes from scratch just as easy as making them from a box if you ask me. I use to not as often as I use to but I use to make all my cakes from scratch. I buy them now adays because I break them down and put them in the microwave and my scratches don't do so well in the microwave.

Another thing I like to do is when making pot of beans I will throw in Steak or chicken, pork chops what ever I have on hand instead of the traditional bacon. Then ofcourse a pot of rice. Along with my seasonings in the beans. And a pan of cornbread.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:12 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,499,295 times
My husband loves peirogies, kielbasa, and onions. I just put them all in a huge skillet for about 10 minutes. I precook the onions a little first in a touch of evoo then add the rest. Cheap and easy, but fattening.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:23 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,931,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
My husband loves peirogies, kielbasa, and onions. I just put them all in a huge skillet for about 10 minutes. I precook the onions a little first in a touch of evoo then add the rest. Cheap and easy, but fattening.
I like this too, so I use turkey kielbasa, sauerkraut & onions are healthy and have beans with it.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:30 PM

6 posts, read 40,680 times
pico de gallo
1.tomatoes/onions/serrano chilis/salt/pepper
split pea soup
1. dried peas, water, carrots/potatoes/celery/salt/peppe
red beans/rice
1. dried beans, water/salt/pepper/cumin/olive oil/white rice
cheese quesadillas
1. tortillas, cheese

Old 10-18-2009, 03:04 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,494,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Other than beans, I mean. we've got beans coming out of ears, lol. I've got a family of 5 and am trying to add more frugal recipes (in addition to already shopping frugally) to our rotation. We are willing to try any type of ethnic foods, so please, don't worry about that.
Your ears if you are lucky!

One of the cheapest things I make are butterscotch pancakes. Make the pancake batter according to the box or make your own and mix in butterscotch chips. Easy and relatively cheap breakfast. Cheaper than going to The Original Pancake House for sure.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:06 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,494,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I have had this and like it a lot. If using frozen peirogies, though, I find I have to thaw them a little in some hot water. I wind up burning them if I don't.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:13 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,771,495 times
Few weeks ago I bought a pork shoulder, 4 lbs. .99 per pound. I rubbed it with a dry rub, let it sit in fridge overnight. Wrapped it in foil and slow roasted at 225 for 7 hours. That night it was dinner with baked sweet potatoes, next day I shredded it and added bar-b-cue sauce. That was served on buns with fries. Lots was frozen for later. At least 5 meals.

This week a spiral ham on sale for .99 lb-6 lbs. Sofar 2 dinners, 1 breakfast, next soup that will be for 2 days and rest frozen for 2 other meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes