Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:23 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,606,453 times

Advertisements

Going to make gumbo today. I've made seafood, chicken and sausage, both were great.
this time I was going to try something new, unless it's a bad idea and that is why I need your help.

I have tilapia, salmon, bay scallops, ground beef, fresh broccoli, bacon, sausage, and chicken.

I've used the scallops, bacon, sausage, and chicken before(not all together) and could do a "normal" one
with bacon, sausage, and chicken.

Could, or should, I use tilapia and salmon? Anyone ever put broccoli in gumbo?

What would you use?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:40 AM

50,018 posts, read 63,359,544 times
My gut feeling is I would leave out the salmon and ground beef, and only stir in the broccoli at the very end, so it doesn't get that stinky overcooked taste. The salmon has a stronger flavor than the other ingredients and the ground beef is unnecessary.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:52 AM

Thanks Gentlearts. Was going to use some of those ingredients, but not all. It's just stuff I have that needs eaten up.
I wondered if the salmon would be too strong. Tilapia might be ok cause it really has no taste to me, very bland and needs help with something like this.

Ground beef, I only thought I could make like a "gumbo chili", mix Texas and Louisiana.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:03 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,731,483 times
I am not a fan of salmon so I would leave it out BUT if you like it, go for it.

I would leave out the seafood till 10 minutes before serving, and then add them in on a medium boil. Cook till just done and serve. That way it flavors the soup just slightly but keeping mostly the gumbo flavor.

I do like broccoli but not sure if I would in a gumbo. Again if you like it, of course you should add it. I also agree with adding right at the end but cook it separately. Add it as your are serving it.

Gumbo is a great way to add all those odds and ends from your pantry/kitchen. I am going to try that next time I am in a rut like that.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:57 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,724,325 times
I have never made Gumbo but have definitely had it - oh Yum, just thinking about it makes my mouth water. The thing about food is that certain ingredients are traditional for a recipe. When other ingredients are used, it becomes and/or has a different name (I am sure that you have seen this on some cooking competitions (e.g., Chopped).

Creative license allows one to recreate a recipe and rename it. Wa Lah - that is how I suspect new recipes/dishes are created.

Please let us know what you decide and how delicious it was.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,765,654 times
I'm a gumbo-cooking fool. I wouldn't try salmon, ground beef, or broccoli in my gumbo - I just don't like the flavor profile I get in my head. As for tilapia, that freshwater tofu doesn't rank as high as a raw sea squirt on my culinary list.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:33 AM

Ended up making it like a clam "chowder", w/out the cream. Had an old frozen lobster tail in there, bay scallops, bacon, clams(canned), potatoes(had 2 left and wanted them gone), leftover bag of corn(maybe 1/2-1 cup), and even a small can of diced tomatoes.

It was good, a lot going on. We liked it and now they want the "creamy kind of chowder". So I'll make a white roux with milk and add that to give them a "different" soup, but using the gumbo. Never done that, will see what happens. lol

Wasn't crazy about lobster in it. The shell added some taste, I think, but the meat was "hidden" in the soup. It could have been shrimp and nobody would have known the better.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 PM

13 posts, read 12,117 times
Do you guys make your own rue or out of a jar? my cajun friend is going to show me how she does hers from scratch friday! i'm looking forward to it!

Old 12-09-2015, 03:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,400,688 times
I make two types of gumbo with different meats. They both use the traditional mirepoix (onions, celery, green pepper), diced tomato and spices. Some people don't use tomato.

1. A seafood gumbo which is more of a creole dish with a lighter roux made of butter and flour and does include the sausage (I use Andouille). Seafood always goes in at the end and I mean the very end. It is very easy to overcook seafood. IMO Tilapia is just too delicate of a fish for gumbo but that's just me. Salmon does not really belong in gumbo in my opinion. I normally use "firm" seafood like shrimp, scallops and lump crab. I will usually use shrimp stock made from the shells.

2. A cajun gumbo which is a darker roux using flour and oil (I use canola) and usually just chicken and sausage and the vegetables. This is more of a rustic dish with no seafood. I personally like to use white meat and use chicken stock which I make myself.

I seldom use okra. You can use file to thicken

These are the more traditional ways of making gumbo that I know of. I never heard of ground beef in gumbo or brocolli. The sausage should provide more than enough of a meat flavor. The bacon however may be good, never heard of bacon in gumbo but bacon is good with everything.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,765,654 times
I always make my own roux, because I like it cooked to a dark caramel color, and my gumbos always contain okra. I've seen several "shortcuts" to making the roux, but I like to do it the "old fashioned" way.

BTW - my family and I went to a restaurant last month, and I ordered the "Chef's Seafood Gumbo." The only seafood it contained was salmon, and I couldn't eat it because that flavor profile just didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes