Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times

Advertisements

I sometimes make pinwheels or chicken cordon bleu but my main issue is that the cheese melts out of the rolls and is nonexistent when served.

Is there a trick to preventing it? Or is that a given when serving those type of dishes? Now I just do them open face. I lay the "fillings" on top and bake/cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 01:16 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I sometimes make pinwheels or chicken cordon bleu but my main issue is that the cheese melts out of the rolls and is nonexistent when served.

Is there a trick to preventing it? Or is that a given when serving those type of dishes? Now I just do them open face. I lay the "fillings" on top and bake/cook.
Ok I make chicken cordon Bleu a lot. I use this cutlets, rolled up with a thin slice of ham and a thin slice of Swiss. You can insert a tooth pick but I don't because it stays rolled ( dip them rolled chicken in melted butter then bread crumbs) Cheese will ooze out but not too much. You could tie the ends with kitchen twine too.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Ok I make chicken cordon Bleu a lot. I use this cutlets, rolled up with a thin slice of ham and a thin slice of Swiss. You can insert a tooth pick but I don't because it stays rolled ( dip them rolled chicken in melted butter then bread crumbs) Cheese will ooze out but not too much. You could tie the ends with kitchen twine too.
Ooh I don't use ham or swiss. I use prosciutto and gruyere or comte. Maybe the cheeses I'm using melts too well?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:50 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
I really think that could be the problem...gruyere gets really gooey. Try the swiss cheese, and/or maybe cutting the cheese into more of a "block" than slices...so it is more centered in the chicken/meat. I larger "hunk" of cheese will melt, but more slowly and from the inside to the outer if you cut more of a square than try to make it the size of the meat it is encased in.

You can also use "skewers" to help you kinda fold the ends of the meat over to make it more of a "seal". Bamboo is cheap, and available everywhere, just ensure you soak it first to keep it from drying out.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I really think that could be the problem...gruyere gets really gooey. Try the swiss cheese, and/or maybe cutting the cheese into more of a "block" than slices...so it is more centered in the chicken/meat. I larger "hunk" of cheese will melt, but more slowly and from the inside to the outer if you cut more of a square than try to make it the size of the meat it is encased in.

You can also use "skewers" to help you kinda fold the ends of the meat over to make it more of a "seal". Bamboo is cheap, and available everywhere, just ensure you soak it first to keep it from drying out.
I usually tie mine with butcher's twine. I have metal skewers, will those work?

As for swiss, I don't like swiss. I know I know, I just never liked it. But I will try to use a harder unmelty cheese next time I go to the cheese section. I am thinking a harder sharp dry cheese might work well.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:21 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
Quote:

As for swiss, I don't like swiss. I know I know, I just never liked it. But I will try to use a harder unmelty cheese next time I go to the cheese section. I am thinking a harder sharp dry cheese might work well.
Yes, the metal skewers will work, and I think that even if you use a cheese you like be sure to cut more of a "square" and place in the middle vs longer slice that runs the length of the meat....give that cheese more "height" and less "length" if that helps visualize the cutting needed to make the magic happen! Let me know how that works for ya!

Old 03-06-2015, 04:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
I make rollups with all sorts of different meats and a variety of cheeses. Tuck and fold the open ends, secure with wooden toothpicks and everything stays where it should. One of my latest favorites is flattened chicken breasts stuffed with precooked crumbled bacon, feta cheese and wrapped with bacon slice. You can add tinned artichokes or sautéed spinach/chard to the mix too - wonderfully moist and delicious!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:25 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:

I wrap the rolls in plastic wrap, twist the ends tight, and refrigerate a few hours before cooking, they seem to hold their shape and seal better that way.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:24 AM

I'll try that. I think the flattening of the chicken might help too to be more flexible. Will make some in a few days and report back.

Thanks all!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:06 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,767,067 times
Quote:
I'll try that. I think the flattening of the chicken might help too to be more flexible. Will make some in a few days and report back.

Thanks all!
I roll the meat like a burrito and use tooth picks. No melted cheese all over the pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes