Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,604,786 times

Advertisements

Adding the butter to steaks is very good, I've done this many times. I do it a bit different, I take room temp butter and add fresh minced garlic and mix it up. We like our steaks med-med well so I do this near the end. I also smoke my steaks, usually around 300*. Searing doesn't hold the juices in(check Alton Brown on food network), but it does carmelize the sugars which adds great flavor.

Quickest I've cooked a steak in a long time was 30min, took to 160* internal. Great on a smoker, I'll never go back to LP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 AM

4,482 posts, read 5,307,296 times
rock salt and nothing else - perhaps a dab of black pepper.

Throw it on white-hot coals, sear for 2 minutes each side... the fat melts and raises up flames. Move it to the coal-less part of the grill and close the grill. Leave it for 5-7 minutes as it'll cook w/ indirect heat. If you like, sear it for 30-60 seconds one last time each side before serving. The fat'll be bubbling off, but it'll be juicy, tender, and delightfully delicious.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,990,440 times
You all are making me hungry again ! All of those methods sound good. I really like broiling these days, grilling is good but charcoal is so expensive.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:26 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,604,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
rock salt and nothing else - perhaps a dab of black pepper.

Throw it on white-hot coals, sear for 2 minutes each side... the fat melts and raises up flames. Move it to the coal-less part of the grill and close the grill. Leave it for 5-7 minutes as it'll cook w/ indirect heat. If you like, sear it for 30-60 seconds one last time each side before serving. The fat'll be bubbling off, but it'll be juicy, tender, and delightfully delicious.
Try it w/evoo or worchest sauce, then add k.salt, grnd blk pepr, thyme, rosemary, and maybe garlic(we like garlic but I don't use it all the time w/this cut). They thyme really does add to the flavor, careful w/rosemary as it can be strong.

Also, try buy'n a whole 10-15# cut and smoke it(225-250*), slice it, vac seal it, and reheat when needed. Best part is when you are slice'n it for portions, gotta taste test it! Really good stuff. Do the same w/strips. I only take them to about 145-150*max, but I do believe my thermom is off, I go more by feel/touch.

just something to try, to each their own.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:22 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,865,552 times
Default I am on a mission to cook a steak like Outback Steakhouse

I have decided to go on a mission to find the exact ingredient list of the Outback Steakhouse seasoning they use on their steaks and cook it like them. My nephew works at our local Outback and he doesn't know the exact list, but a website does say pepperberry is a part of it. I looked online and finding pepperberry is a hell of a task and I am about 99.8% sure the local stores won't have it. What I may do it have him get me a bit of spice and I can take it to the local university and have it checked. Yes, I am obsessed.

The steak is another story. I have never been good at cooking steaks. Burgers, brats, etc, I am great at. Steaks...hell no. I do know they sear it in pure butter at an extreme temperature. I guess I am going to have to breakdown a purchase a gas grill. This looks like it may turn into an expensive hobby, trying to perfect the rub and steak. Anyone got suggestions?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 PM

3,024 posts, read 4,971,247 times
Butter has a low smoking point, so it should only be added afterward, if at all. Burnt butter is very noticeable.

Steak is the simplest thing to make well. Like all food, having a good cut of meat is the most important part. I like to buy a whole beef tenderloin, the higher grade, the better. Wrap the meat in a towel or cheesecloth and put in the fridge for 2-4 weeks, changing the towel every day for the first week, and twice a week afterward.

Cut the tenderloin in to steaks. Add seasonings if so inclined, or salt and pepper. If you're cooking on a grill, make it hot as possible. I don't have a grill, so I use a pan with a mixture of canola and tallow. Just when the oil starts smoking, fry the steaks on all sides. Remove and baste with butter. Rest for about the amount of time you cooked on one side. Eat steak. Eat backup steak. Eat dining companions' leftover steak.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,757,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Butter has a low smoking point, so it should only be added afterward, if at all.
Unless you use clarified butter.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,498,654 times
I used to work at Outback many moons ago. They cook the steaks on a flat top...kind of like a really hot griddle, not a grill top with grates. So there's a starting point.

Found this:

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Out...le-Steak-52366

Last edited by sophialee; 06-21-2010 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,232,986 times
Really, Kydad? I don't like my steak's flavor masked by cook-applied seasonings, so I requested they not use it. Then I realized what an inferior cut of meat OB serves. Tried it multiple times at different locations. Now I refuse to eat there, I go elsewhere with better meat. If i'm paying the price of a good steak, I want a good steak.
Now, for spices, check Penzey's. Good luck to ya.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:24 PM

3,024 posts, read 4,971,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Unless you use clarified butter.
For a while I would clarify 2 lbs of butter at a time and use that instead of whole butter or oil, but I've decided the taste isn't as good, so I just add butter at the end now.

Not that clarified butter doesn't have its uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes