Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 05:36 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I did not mean to be mean, but for Pete's sake, she asked for a basic brownie recipe.
I didn't think you were mean. And I did give her a basic brownie recipe in an earlier post.

Snipped from first post:

Quote:
momtothree

Edit Status

5,302 posts, read 3,375,197 times

I like brownies that are chewy and have that super thin crisp crust. Not cake like or crumbly as a lot of recipes turn out for me. This is as close as to the box mix that I'm happy with the results. Turns out that the sugar is what gives you that chewy fudgey texture. I will have to try the ones recommended here as well.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brookes...hell-brownies/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:20 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Urania93, momtothree is right, you can substitute applesauce, or other pureed fruit, for the butter or oil in a lot of cake or cake-like recipes, like brownies. Just use an equal amount as you would for butter, etc. It gives a dense, moist consistency, very appealing. If you use store-bought, not home-made applesauce, make sure it doesn't contain added sugar or (yuck!) high fructose corn syrup. Better yet, just make your own applesauce. I had forgotten about this little trick, I used to do it all the time in my baking. Overripe, mashed banana also works.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Urania93, momtothree is right, you can substitute applesauce, or other pureed fruit, for the butter or oil in a lot of cake or cake-like recipes, like brownies. Just use an equal amount as you would for butter, etc. It gives a dense, moist consistency, very appealing. If you use store-bought, not home-made applesauce, make sure it doesn't contain added sugar or (yuck!) high fructose corn syrup. Better yet, just make your own applesauce. I had forgotten about this little trick, I used to do it all the time in my baking. Overripe, mashed banana also works.
Ok, that's the first time I hear this method, but I will try to remember it.
However I don't think that I could apply this to the other cakes recipes I know, they are quite simple and the fruit flavor would cover the other ones...

Old 03-23-2015, 02:13 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Ok, that's the first time I hear this method, but I will try to remember it.
However I don't think that I could apply this to the other cakes recipes I know, they are quite simple and the fruit flavor would cover the other ones...
If the cake is very light & delicate, or has a very delicate flavor, like vanilla, the fruit might overpower the flavor, but with stronger flavors, like chocolate, and a more dense texture, it does not, especially applesauce...I know, I didn't believe it the first time, but I was surprised!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:49 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,127 times
Made this last weekend. Very tasty and easy. Recipe calls to cook on Low setting. Depending on your crock pot, you may need to cook on High for quicker cooking.

Slow Cooker Gooey Brownie Cake Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes