Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 03:36 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

I'd call them mashed pintos since they're not fried, but they sound tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
FYI: Refried beans are not fried twice. They are just very fried once. Of course the thread recipe is for mashed beans which are very good anyways.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
FYI: Refried beans are not fried twice. They are just very fried once...
Our refried beans might be fried three or four times. We don't eat all of them at one sitting. They're the best when they have that shiny appearance after the second fry (yum - lard).

Old 06-25-2016, 05:16 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I just thought I would do a small update about how I make these, since I have made them so many times now.

The basic recipe is the same, however, I now only add 8 cups of chicken broth (not just water) to the beans and I also add 1 tsp of salt (not 2), pepper, cayenne, garlic, some basil, some parsley, liquid smoke, and a whole (although small) onion. The onion I grate right over the beans, so I get all the juice. I will also shake a little bit of garlic and onion powder in mine as well. All this is to taste, of course.

One of the things I've noticed is that after you remove the beans from the crock pot, let the remaining liquid sit for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then pour off the thin stuff on top and keep the thicker liquid on the bottom to add to your beans before mashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Once you try using dry beans instead of canned you will never go back to using canned. It only takes a little planning to soak them ahead of time and the results are well worth the tiny bit of extra effort.
What's nice about this recipe is you don't have to soak the beans. I've always put my crock pot on high for 8 hours with these and I've never had a problem with the beans being hard without soaking, since they've cooked in the crock pot all that time. Now, I don't know if I would get the same result if I had the crock pot on low for 8 hours, though.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 PM

764 posts, read 94,714 times
Default Has anyone made refried beans in a crockpot?

I am trying to figure out how to cook for myself. My wife passed recently and she was the cook. She used to make this, and she was such a good cook, that all her recipes were “in her headâ€, not written down. I have tried 2 recipes from online but they didn’t turn out right.

I’m visiting with a friend who also can’t cook. I want to learn some basic recipes to feed myself, and also to stay occupied. It gives me some comfort to eat some of the good things my wife cooked. I have basic pots and pans and a crockpot, and I don’t really want to buy any kitchen equipment, since I plan to size down and move eventually. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:00 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't make refried beans in the slow cooker, but I'm sure somebody will chime in with a recipe.

I did find this, which sounds tasty, but I suspect your wife's recipe only used pinto beans, and not 3 kinds as found here.

My favorite pinto recipe is just a 1 pound bag of beans, soaked overnight, then drained and cooked either with 1 T of chicken base or 3 pieces of cut up (with scissors) raw bacon, or both, a small chopped onion, and the amount of water required by the package directions. I will often add a chopped jalapeno and/or some dried Mexican oregano too. This makes a delicious soft bean with broth, but you can also drain some of the beans and mash them in a frying pan in oil or lard for true refried. Adding a little of the broth will help you get a smooth mash. A potato masher works best, but you can use a fork. You might try mashing it without the fat right in the crockpot to see if they turn out like your wife's did.

Good luck and God speed.

Last edited by Debsi; 04-20-2018 at 09:11 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 09:54 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Easy.

Refried beans are made from pinto beans.

You have to clean the dried beans. Take out any moldy ones and pay close attention and pick out any small rocks. Rocks are much less common than they used to be, but I still occassionally find one in dried beans.

Once you have picked through them, rinse them off. Place them in the crock pot and cover them with water. You can either let them soak overnight or just start cooking them right away. Both ways work.

Basic refried beans are just plain beans, but you will get some better flavor if you add a diced onion a n d a little chunk of beef or pork (if you use burger, you must brown it first). Do not add salt.

Cook the beans on high until they are really soft. They need to actually boil, and a crock pot on high will do that. To get them really soft takes at least 8 hours, so start them in the morning and let them cook all day.

For authentic refried beans, you heat up a bit of lard in a heavy skillet. Put in a big spoonful of beans and mash them up into a lumpy paste as they fry. At this point, you add salt to taste. I don't fry mine in lard. I just mash them a bit. But I will have cooked them with some beef chuck or pork shoulder, so they already have a bit of animal fat in them.

The meat they were cooked with gets shredded and used in tacos.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:35 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Easy.

Refried beans are made from pinto beans.

You have to clean the dried beans. Take out any moldy ones and pay close attention and pick out any small rocks. Rocks are much less common than they used to be, but I still occassionally find one in dried beans.

Once you have picked through them, rinse them off. Place them in the crock pot and cover them with water. You can either let them soak overnight or just start cooking them right away. Both ways work.

Basic refried beans are just plain beans, but you will get some better flavor if you add a diced onion a n d a little chunk of beef or pork (if you use burger, you must brown it first). Do not add salt.

Cook the beans on high until they are really soft. They need to actually boil, and a crock pot on high will do that. To get them really soft takes at least 8 hours, so start them in the morning and let them cook all day.

For authentic refried beans, you heat up a bit of lard in a heavy skillet. Put in a big spoonful of beans and mash them up into a lumpy paste as they fry. At this point, you add salt to taste. I don't fry mine in lard. I just mash them a bit. But I will have cooked them with some beef chuck or pork shoulder, so they already have a bit of animal fat in them.

The meat they were cooked with gets shredded and used in tacos.
Only thing I would revise about this is the fact that black beans are also delicious refried. They go particularly well with sliced avocados in a burrito.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:58 PM

764 posts, read 94,714 times
Thank you all for your suggestions, I’m going to give them a try.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,835 times
I do dried pinto beans, onions and ham on the bone in the crock pot. Slow cooking all day. Add cheddar cheese and make corn bread muffins. yum yum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes