Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times

Advertisements

Hello All...

My mum loves dark chocolate, but I bought her a few bars that have no sugar at all, so she finds them inedible. What I have are 7.5 oz of pure dark chocolate (99% cacao).

Since we're all packing to move, I'll settle for easiest solution just now & was wondering, can I just add some sugar to broken up chocolate pieces, melt in a double boiler & re-harden in a slightly oiled cup? If so, would I melt the sugar first or both at once? Also, would a bit of vanilla or heavy cream need to go into the mix for flavor's sake to counter balance the bitter chocolate? Has anyone melted their own chocolate & made candy before? If so, any idea on how much sugar I'd need for 7.5 oz?

I don't have a lot of time... moving day is coming fast & pushing 83-yr old mum to pack or discard belongings is a frustratingly slow process. I'm hoping to distract her with a nice bowl of chocolate, so she can disengage from the front door & I can make it to the dumpster before she calls me by my full given name, telling me to return the boxes of itchy sweaters & peach poly flairs she hasn't worn in 45-yrs to her bedroom.

I heartily thank you!

ETA: Oh, gee... I just found 14 oz more... so I've got 21.5 oz all together... unless there's more in another drawer. I suppose I could make pudding, too. I'm just not sure how to do substitutions... do I assume the dark chocolate is semi-sweet baking chocolate or is it the replacement for the cocoa? Oh, I'm lost... anyone?

Cheers.

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 05-14-2015 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 AM

Just bumping once in the event someone has an idea or recipe?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
No, semi-sweet chocolate is different as there is more sugar in the chocolate than the 99% cacao you have. You will most likely have to use some butter or cream in order to incorporate the sugar into the chocolate.

Google "recipes 99% cacao."

Old 05-17-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, semi-sweet chocolate is different as there is more sugar in the chocolate than the 99% cacao you have. You will most likely have to use some butter or cream in order to incorporate the sugar into the chocolate.

Google "recipes 99% cacao."
Thank you so much CG. I found mostly brownie recipes (which are fairly easy), so I'll make a batch of those. Pity I only need 4-oz per batch... I didn't really want to make 5 batches of brownies (just as we're moving & I don't want to buy ingredients... I'm tossing things out like mad), but I'll do 1 as a test & if she likes them, I'll just give her the recipe to make the rest when she wants them.

99% Cacao Dark Chocolate: The Fudgiest Brownies You'll Ever Eat...

Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes