Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 07:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times

Advertisements

I made this classic dish tonight and it was really tasty. It's always surprising how delicious just a few ingredients and long braising makes a dish. I especially like the sauce and I am usually NOT a fan of tomato based sauces but this one didn't taste heavy at all.

I did it with what I had on hand so the below isn't exactly Swiss steaks but close to it. lol

5 cubed steaks OR steaks pounded till about 1/4 inch thick, salt/peppered each side
Flour

1/2 cup of Chinese celery, chopped (again what I had on hand)
1/2 cup of carrots, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
Red wine to deglaze pan, about a cup
14.5 oz Can of diced tomatoes (it's what I had on hand)

In a heavy French oven, add enough oil to coat bottom. Flour each steak and brown on both sides for a few minutes. Remove set aside. In the drippings add rest of ingredients except wine/tomatoes. Saute for a few minutes, then add wine to deglaze pan and scrape it any stuck bits. (the flavor bits!) Let it reduce for a few minutes. Add everything from can of diced tomatoes. Stir, place browned steaks back in an even layer and spoon sauce over steaks. Cover and place in oven at 325 for an hour and half. Salt/pepper to taste just before serving with your choice of side dishes. I saw recipes where they added cheese but I didn't.

Sooo good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes