Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,112 times

Advertisements

I made a five chilli paste last year, put it in the fridge in a sterilized glass container and my friends and I have been using it for one year. It seems fine; the fridge is kept fairly cold.

This stuff is still dynamite and hasn't lost flavour or gone bad in my friends opinion.\
I have some jalapeno steak sauce that seems also to be fine, and it's "Old Texas" described as "all natural" whatever that means. It's also fine in the fridge, and you don't refrigerate small bottle hot sauce.

So, my question is is there something in chilli's that naturally offer preservation?\
I'm going to do a test of shelf life and refrigerator life after bumping up the Old Texas with some of my paste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 11:43 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Chilis themselves do not have any type of preservative properties. In fact fresh chilis go bad pretty quick. It's usually some of the things that you add to sauces or paste in your case that may help with preservation. Temperature is the most obvious but has limits. Dry ingredients will last much longer. Vinegar and/or salt are other preservatives. What are the ingredients and process that you used?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Default nothing; I blended five different kinds of chilli and added nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Chilis themselves do not have any type of preservative properties. In fact fresh chilis go bad pretty quick. It's usually some of the things that you add to sauces or paste in your case that may help with preservation. Temperature is the most obvious but has limits. Dry ingredients will last much longer. Vinegar and/or salt are other preservatives. What are the ingredients and process that you used?
Nada: Chinese five spice, jalapeno, scotch bonnet, and two other hot ones I grew myself last year; I added nothing and put it into a glass jar with a top.

I'm blending today with Old Texas steak sauce but all seems all right.
No additives, no salt, no preservatives, and I didn't cook it.??

Old 06-11-2015, 03:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
It's always "okay" until it isn't. I'd have kept that no longer than 90 days.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:10 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
I am very surprised it hasn't turned into mush if you used fresh chilis within a few weeks. Utterly shocked actually. Did you dry them first?

I guess they are fermented? I know I keep kimchi in the fridge for over a month before finishing it all up. And there's no vinegar in it. There's a little bit of salt that might be from salting the cabbage leaves first but I rinse them well. But it has been a year now?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 PM

It's been a year and I vaguely remember adding a little cider vinegar (maybe). Maybe that's it.
I'm only doing two hot peppers this year and they're two months away from production.
No one up here in the cool north seems to know what to do with hot chilli, though last week we had August micro-wave weather. Man, the UV index was eight and with no air pollution to filter out the ultra-violet rays.

I'm going to do a few things with it this weekend on two willing suspects and see what happens!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes