Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 06:12 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's funny! I must admit that I've never eaten the squeaky cheese curds, so I don't know what you're up against.
Yes, it IS funny! LOL I knew I was up against a lot considering the content of many posts in this thread, but it's not unusual for cheese to be too cheesy. My mother like very sharp cheddar. I didn't because it was too cheesy. lol I also can't imagine liking french fries covered in gravy. Maybe it's better than it sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 07:17 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Yes, it IS funny! LOL I knew I was up against a lot considering the content of many posts in this thread, but it's not unusual for cheese to be too cheesy. My mother like very sharp cheddar. I didn't because it was too cheesy. lol I also can't imagine liking french fries covered in gravy. Maybe it's better than it sounds.
I feel ya. My mother liked very sharp cheddar, too. It was often the only cheese in the house. I got used to it. Now, I love cheese. I can't get enough cheese. Mmmm, I love the smell of Limburger in the morning. Conversely, there are some things I just don't want to eat. If you don't like them, give them to a friend or toss them. While I hate to waste food, I can only eat food which tastes bad, objectionable to me for a while before I give up.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's funny! I must admit that I've never eaten the squeaky cheese curds, so I don't know what you're up against.
Up againest? It's cheese. The fresh curds squeak....every bit of real cheese you may like started out as curds.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:05 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Up againest? It's cheese. The fresh curds squeak....every bit of real cheese you may like started out as curds.
I realize it's cheese. As I said, I've never eaten them so can't determine why she doesn't like them and think they taste too cheesy. Maybe because she doesn't like them and think that they taste too cheesy?

Old 06-16-2015, 07:30 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
It never occurred to me that cheese could be a touchy subject. lol

Old 06-16-2015, 07:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
One of my friends lauded cheese curds for years, so when I finally had them I was rather disappointed. I was expecting a lot more squeak. They're pretty much just cheese chunks.

We were camping up in the Wisconsin Dells, and I found garlic-dill cheese curds at a local market. We were near a farmstand, where I also found pickled baby Brussles sprouts. I made a big salad with fresh greens and carrots, artichoke hearts, steamed purple cauliflower, grape tomatoes, and the sprouts and curds. I probably put other stuff in it but can't recall. It was a big pickly salad and scrum-dilly-umptious!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I saw cheese curds for sale in a grocery store down here in the "Deep South" - that's just wrong.
I'm in the same vicinity, and just saw them for the first time ever. I picked the bag up, thought they looked like cubes of white cheddar, and wasn't sure if I was missing anything by leaving them in the display case.
I don't like really strong cheese, so I guess I made the right choice.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:59 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I've only had cheese curds at Culvers, in poutine at various places and once in Chicago. The cheese curds I've had are extremely mild. Almost like how fresh mozz is compared to regular mozz. I would call it a very fresh cheddar cheese...how are they strong or too cheesy tasting? Are the ones I have had very different from the ones mentioned here? (no snark at all, really curious now)

Old 06-16-2015, 09:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I've eaten my share of cheese curds, due to growing up where they are common, and I've never had any that I'd describe as strong or sharp. Curds comes from the beginning processes of cheesemaking, they doesn't have a change to attain a really sharp character like an aged cheese does. Sometimes you find them with seasoning added after the fact that amps up the flavor (dill and garlic seasoned cheese curds, Cajun seasoned cheese curds come to mind) But in their plain state, they're pretty mild.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've eaten my share of cheese curds, due to growing up where they are common, and I've never had any that I'd describe as strong or sharp. Curds comes from the beginning processes of cheesemaking, they doesn't have a change to attain a really sharp character like an aged cheese does. Sometimes you find them with seasoning added after the fact that amps up the flavor (dill and garlic seasoned cheese curds, Cajun seasoned cheese curds come to mind) But in their plain state, they're pretty mild.
That's what I thought. I liked them as they were just a bit more flavorful than fresh mozz. Especially in poutine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes