Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 PM

11,942 posts, read 8,266,544 times

Advertisements

I just ran into this recipe for a pot pie galette with a fresh summer veggie and chicken filling. Have a look for yourself at how inviting it looks.

Summer Chicken Pot Pie Galette with Herbed Crust | How Sweet It Is

I make a good pie crust but bake pies sparingly because the time, effort and mess can be tiresome. But I never thought to attempt a gallete-style crust with savory filling. My table will still be messy but at least there will only be one crust to roll out and no fuss about crimping edges.

Since I retired I wear my fingernails longer and have discovered it is difficult to create a pretty edge on my pies with long fingernails.

My husband remembers his mother's purchases of frozen chicken pot pies to feed her seven boys on those rare occasions when she wasn't home and mentioned the other day he'd like to taste one again.

All I remember is a crust that chewed like cardboard and chicken of a ripe old age. But this recipe has gotten me enthusiastic about putting a new spin on an old favorite and I thought I'd share it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 04:54 PM

32,791 posts, read 36,046,145 times
That looks really good. I don't make a pot pie very often, but I'd certainly try that.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:39 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,616,743 times
Thanks for posting! It does look good, so I'm going to have a go at it when the weather cools off.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
I'd make that.

What I'm so tired of is the "pot pie" trend that is nothing more than meat/gravy/vegetables with a few sheets of puff pastry on top. That's not a pot pie, folks.

I'd do this galette type thing, though. At least it's a legitimate crust.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 08-16-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 10:09 PM

11,942 posts, read 8,266,544 times
And I'm thinking about mixed vegetables. I know a lot of people consider those bags of frozen mixed veggies a handy standby but I've never been satisfied with them. All of them taste the same to me.

It'd be extra work to cut the corn off the cob, clean the carrots, cut up the squash but if you're going to make something that looks like some thought went into it I think it would definitely be worth it.

Brushing the crust with cream will give it a nice golden-brown color.

A word about the low sodium chicken broth. I've notice (perhaps to make up for the lack of salt) that it seems as though they may put poultry seasoning in it. Poultry seasoning has its place but I don't think with this herbed crust I'd care to have that taste in my filling. I'd like a nice, clean veggie chicken flavor. So I believe I'd use regular chicken broth and leave out the 1/4 t. salt.

If anyone makes it, I'd love to see the results and get a taste report.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
We always make stock when we roast a chicken, so I'd use that for the broth. I've done the brushing the crust with dairy on other pastry crusts, but I find that an egg wash works better, for my tastes.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:10 AM

32,791 posts, read 36,046,145 times
I haven't noticed that about the low sodium chicken broth, but if the poultry seasoning taste is going to bother you, use the regular. It won't ruin it.

If the prep seems a bit much, break it up into two or more sessions. You could make the pastry and cut up some of the vegetables the evening before or in the morning.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,740,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
And I'm thinking about mixed vegetables. I know a lot of people consider those bags of frozen mixed veggies a handy standby but I've never been satisfied with them. All of them taste the same to me.

It'd be extra work to cut the corn off the cob, clean the carrots, cut up the squash but if you're going to make something that looks like some thought went into it I think it would definitely be worth it.

Brushing the crust with cream will give it a nice golden-brown color.

A word about the low sodium chicken broth. I've notice (perhaps to make up for the lack of salt) that it seems as though they may put poultry seasoning in it. Poultry seasoning has its place but I don't think with this herbed crust I'd care to have that taste in my filling. I'd like a nice, clean veggie chicken flavor. So I believe I'd use regular chicken broth and leave out the 1/4 t. salt.

If anyone makes it, I'd love to see the results and get a taste report.

If I didn't have homemade chicken stock on hand, I use the no salt chicken broth. It's quite good and you can "salt" to taste. It's not herby at all. But if you are going all the way with the recipe, I would just boil the whole chicken for this recipe and use the broth from it.

Corn I am not picky about and will use frozen. But the carrots and squash, I would do by "hand" as they take no time at all. I also would use fresh asparagus if you like that. As well as potatoes as I like them in my pot pie.

I wonder though about the recipe, do you have to thicken it more than usual so it won't just pour out of the crust?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes