Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,856,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Me, too, nearly always. The two just go together like peas in a pod.
For me, it's meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green peas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 05:23 PM

19,354 posts, read 15,211,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Jesus, now *I* want to make meatloaf. (Words never before said, by the way.)
Lol, same here. I like meatloaf okay, but it's not something I really crave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Dawn, you are the best. Thank you for appreciating/humoring my overly-excited, food-nerdiness.
I was thinking, This IslandCityGirl sure knows her stuff. lol (Your method for hard-boiled eggs a while back really helped me out, in making them easier to peel.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'll bet caramelized onions would be good in meatloaf. I've never tried that.
Omg, that sounds good. I love caramelized onions. Can't believe I never thought of that.

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good suggestions, gentlearts. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:30 PM

52,163 posts, read 52,609,244 times
My dad made a kick ass meatloaf. I'm not sure of his exact recipe, I think it was a pork/beef mix with the typical egg and bread crumbs deal.

One thing he did tell me is that his "secret ingredient" was that he said he added a jar of marina/meat sauce to the mix.

I don't know how much or if it was a small jar or not, but I do remember it being really pretty moist and it didn't have a super obvious marinara taste behind it. It was really one of the best meatloaf's I've ever had.

I'm a meatloaf fan and always on the lookout for some good loaf. We make it sometimes and it's pretty good, but we haven't tried the marinara sauce deal yet. I suppose the next time we do we should do it up like ol' dad did. He has passed away just recently and this thread is reminding me of him.....

Old 02-18-2017, 05:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
For me, it's meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green peas.
Yep! A classic combo.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My dad made a kick ass meatloaf. I'm not sure of his exact recipe, I think it was a pork/beef mix with the typical egg and bread crumbs deal.

One thing he did tell me is that his "secret ingredient" was that he said he added a jar of marina/meat sauce to the mix.

I don't know how much or if it was a small jar or not, but I do remember it being really pretty moist and it didn't have a super obvious marinara taste behind it. It was really one of the best meatloaf's I've ever had.

I'm a meatloaf fan and always on the lookout for some good loaf. We make it sometimes and it's pretty good, but we haven't tried the marinara sauce deal yet. I suppose the next time we do we should do it up like ol' dad did. He has passed away just recently and this thread is reminding me of him.....
And he would also trade off on using things like mushrooms or green bell pepper in it, which added flavor and moisture. He really did make a good meatloaf.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:55 PM

37,120 posts, read 42,178,043 times
Marinara instead of catsup like some people use either in the mix or on top as a sort of glaze. Yes, I like to do that!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Marinara instead of catsup like some people use either in the mix or on top as a sort of glaze. Yes, I like to do that!
My grandpa was Mexican, and he would put like a salsa-type glaze on top, a little spicy. I just now remembered that he made a really good meatloaf. He died just before turning 80, but every Sunday we went to visit him, he would make meatloaf for us.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,195,866 times
Meatloaf is one of those food items that many have a love it or hate it relationship.
Personally we love meatloaf, it is quick, easy to put together, has minimal ingredients and makes great leftovers.
I use the traditional Oatmeal Recipe with a couple changes that are minor.
I use tomato juice or V8 instead of tomato sauce
I use 2 eggs instead of one
I use a wee bit more oatmeal because I am usually making meatloaf specifically for leftovers so the meatloaf has to be less crumbly for sandwiches.
I do not put catsup anywhere near the meatloaf however I do not put catsup on anything.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:37 PM

427 posts, read 439,762 times
Meatloaf is all about the meat. Good quality beef and a portion of ground pork. Seasonings, an egg, a few pinches of white bread, and a splash of milk; most importantantly do not over mix. Plop into a loaf pan. Make your topping/sauce in a pot on the stove. After your meatloaf has yielded grease (20 minutes?) drain most and then add your sauce and continue to bake covered with foil. Remove foil about 10-15 minutes before removing from the oven. Go smash some taters, steam up something green, make a salad, position dessert, throw rolls in the oven, grab a cocktail and holler for all to gather.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,856,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
...I do not put catsup anywhere near the meatloaf however I do not put catsup on anything.
Meatloaf is a ketchup delivery vehicle for me. I like a thick, sweet glaze on top and plenty of ketchup while I'm eating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes