Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:39 AM

264 posts, read 301,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
I bring them to a rolling boil, covered. Turn off heat and leave covered for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, put a tray full of ice cubes in a metal bowl and fill with cold water, so it's nice and cold. Remove eggs with slotted spoon to ice water and leave them there at least until the ice is melted.

Older eggs peel more readily than fresher eggs.

I don't know whether this method is the accepted one, but it works for me.

Good luck!
IMHO: I agree with this process as I've been doing this for yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 07:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Actually, Rachel says 10 minutes. But IME, 10 minutes isn't quite enough. The yolks are still soft in the middle.
I've always done 12, or the yolk isn't cooked through.l I learned from my mom, though, not Rachael Ray.

I always start with eggs in just enough cold water to cover.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Tried cooking them from a cold water start,bring water to a boil then after 10 minutes of boiling put the eggs in cold water for 10 minutes, although they came out perfectly with no grey the shells stuck to the egg resulting in a less than perfectly peeled egg as chunks of the egg white would come away with the egg shell when peeling.Think i need an additional trick.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:19 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Tried cooking them from a cold water start,bring water to a boil then after 10 minutes of boiling put the eggs in cold water for 10 minutes, although they came out perfectly with no grey the shells stuck to the egg resulting in a less than perfectly peeled egg as chunks of the egg white would come away with the egg shell when peeling.Think i need an additional trick.
I've always been told that the age of the egg has a lot to do with the ease with which it releases its shell. The shell doesn't stick as badly with older eggs.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
The shell sticks more the fresher the egg is. The cooking method doesn't change that.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:02 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
im lazy . I go to costco. They sell 2x dozen hard boiled eggs for 8 dollars. They are perfect overtime and are peeled.
I get a ten pack of England's Best Hard Cooked Peeled Eggs for three dollars and change at Jewel-Osco here, which is not that much more expensive than the Costco price (and unless you have a large family that loves hardboiled eggs, ten is easier to use up in a reasonable amount of time than two dozen). The quality of the England's Best eggs is very good, they're cooked perfectly.

Where to Buy | Eggland's Best

Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
FYI for chemistry geeks -- the grey color is iron sulfide; when the egg is overcooked, the iron from the yolk combines with the sulfur in the white and voila, iron sulfide.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Steaming the eggs prevents the grey yolk and makes the eggs much, much easier to peel, regardless of freshness.

I use the same steamer rack that I use for vegetables, put water in the pan until it's just below the steamer rack, then bring to a boil, add eggs, cover, steam for 12 to 14 min (depending on number of eggs), then drop eggs into cold water to stop the cooking process. The shells slip off easily and the yolks are pretty and yellow.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather than bright yellow yolks, i dont mind this but this weekend i'm making a large Cobb Salad and want the eggs to look nice without the grey coating.eg;=http://www.todayifoundout.com/wp-con...boiled-egg.png
Whats the trick?
thanks
As others have said, you are probably over boiling them. Try bringing them to a boiling point but not a full boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Turn the stove off, let them sit for about 15 minutes and then plunge them into ice water. They will be easy to peel and should retain the yellow color. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:32 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
We've found them easiest to peel when they're very cold - not immediately after the ice bath, but we put them in a bowl in the fridge for a while and let them get good and cold. I have no idea if we're just lucky or if there's science behind it, but a very cold egg (IN OUR EXPERIENCE) is far easier to peel.

Disclaimer: Anecdote =/= data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes