Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 02:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

End result a Cobb salad with passable eggs=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps2u4ppycl.jpg
Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:34 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather than bright yellow yolks, i dont mind this but this weekend i'm making a large Cobb Salad and want the eggs to look nice without the grey coating.
If you were making century eggs, I'd congratulate you on your success!

[they're delicious, by the way!]

Old 07-17-2016, 08:08 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,231 times
It also depends on the type of stove you're using. My wife bring eggs to a rolling boil and turns off the heat a lets them sit for 10 minutes. For a gas stove you might have to go longer as there is less residual heat under the pot then a ceramic or traditional electric stove. You need to experiment to get the exact result you're looking for but this recipe is a good starting point.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:09 AM

92 posts, read 122,666 times
Pressure Cooker on High Pressure, a few cups of water in the bottom (do NOT! cover eggs, you want them to steam), pressure cooker on high for 6 minutes.
You will never make them any other way.
If you don't have a pressure cooker, still steam them...not sure how long without pressure, but my nephew and his wife have fresh eggs (they have chickens) and until she started steaming her eggs she could not peel them.

Steaming will make the shells practically peel themselves!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Hunh. That's interesting Maggie. I had an old chicken farmer tell me that the key was to easy to peel eggs was to let them sit for a couple weeks before trying to boil them, because fresh eggs wouldn't peel decently. And now that he's out of business and I have to get my eggs at the grocery store, it's my experience that most of them peel easily which means only a couple of them are fresh! I'd never heard of the steaming method.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Cover eggs in cold water, bring water to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for ~15 min. and then plunge eggs into ice water to cool quickly.
That is what I do as also and works well

Old 07-20-2016, 05:20 PM

92 posts, read 122,666 times
All I know is until I steamed my eggs it was iffy if they would peel easy or not.
Once I tried steaming me nephew's fresh eggs from his chickens and they practically peeled themselves, I knew that I will never do it any other way than steaming.
I still put them directly in cold water after they're done, crack them and let them sit for a few minutes.
This way they peel perfectly!

Old 07-20-2016, 10:35 PM

706 posts, read 757,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I know how to boil an egg but I've also become aware of several different methods. I wondered what is the best way so the yolks don't turn green and the shells don't stick when you peel them? I've been trying different methods I find online but so far I haven't found that magical best way so my deviled eggs come out looking nice.

One tip my mom told me for the shells is to use older eggs. That works, but I don't always have that luxury.

Thanks!
I've cooked free-range hard-boiled eggs for a long time now. Every time I thought I made a "revelation" about cooking them, the next time showed me wrong.

At last, I found that steaming them will produce perfectly-peelable eggs every single time, no matter the age of the eggs. I will *never* boil eggs in water again unless forced into it due to lack of a steamer. Steaming of eggs can be done in a regular steamer, a rice cooker, or a pressure cooker. I do still put them in ice water when the time is up. That's a critical part of the process.

To cook them in a rice cooker, place 2 cups water in the bottom pan, place your eggs in the steam basket and put on the lid. Use the white rice setting for about 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of the eggs. Plunge them in ice water when the time is up. If you don't cool them down immediately, they may overcook and get that green halo around the yolk.

To cook them in a pressure cooker, see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1PMPMsS3M

Old 07-22-2016, 12:45 PM

738 posts, read 999,605 times
Here is another vote for steamed eggs.

Bring water to a rolling boil in a saucepan.
Place eggs in a steamer basket in single layer and lower into pan just above water level.
Set timer for 18 minutes.
When timer goes off, remove steamer basket with eggs in it and plunge into ice-cubed water to cover eggs.
Dump water and repeat with new ice cubes until eggs are completely chilled.
Dry off eggs and refrigerate.

Perfect e-v-e-r-y time!

Edited to add: Thanks Freedomdove for the InstantPot video link. I just got one and will likely try that next time.

~RVcook

Last edited by RVcook; 07-22-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 01:01 AM

706 posts, read 757,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Edited to add: Thanks Freedomdove for the InstantPot video link. I just got one and will likely try that next time.
You're welcome. I've been using the rice cooker method for a while with success. I just tried cooking the eggs in my new pressure cooker for the first time last night. I think 6 minutes is too long, at least for my size of eggs. One of them had split open and the others had a little bit of the green halo to their yolks the next day. Larger, factory-farmed eggs may need that long but I will reduce the time to 4 or 5 minutes next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes