Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times

Advertisements

I know how to boil an egg but I've also become aware of several different methods. I wondered what is the best way so the yolks don't turn green and the shells don't stick when you peel them? I've been trying different methods I find online but so far I haven't found that magical best way so my deviled eggs come out looking nice.

One tip my mom told me for the shells is to use older eggs. That works, but I don't always have that luxury.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 03:54 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Yolks turn green means you've overcooked them.

My mother always used to run them under cold water. That makes sense as the egg may shrink slightly inside and pull itself away from the shell.

I love a boiled egg in the morning but I've recently moved, no longer have gas. It feels too wasteful to heat up the stove element just to boil an egg so I'm looking at electric egg boilers.

They seem like a great idea, and I think I want one.

Anyone tried them?

Old 10-14-2015, 03:57 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Cover eggs in cold water, bring water to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for ~15 min. and then plunge eggs into ice water to cool quickly.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Cover eggs in cold water, bring water to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for ~15 min. and then plunge eggs into ice water to cool quickly.
This!

Unfortunately, a perfectly boiled egg and an egg that peels cleanly have some contradictions...

Your egg will cook more evenly (hard-cooked but no grey/green yolk) if you start your eggs in a cold pot as maggie2101 suggested. I'd also add that using room temp eggs will help with that even cooking process.

BUT a cold start will allow the whites to cook more slowly, causing them to adhere to the membrane/shell more, making them more difficult to peel. It's a dramatic difference. Boiled eggs that go straight into boiling water instead of a cold pot of water are always easier to peel. Freshness of eggs also has a big effect on how easily they peel. Really fresh eggs are more difficult to peel (darn it).

My compromise to get the best of both worlds would be to put your eggs into an already-boiling pot of water, but then very quickly (30 seconds to a minute) reduce the heat to low simmer. Simmer for about 12 minutes then run them under cold water to stop the cooking process before peeling.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:55 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times
Thank you for the answers so far. Think I will experiment tonight.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:55 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
This is how I do it

Old 10-15-2015, 03:13 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
I do mine slightly different. I bring the water to a boil then lower the eggs into it using a slotted spoon. Cook for 12 minutes, then remove from the pan and run under cold water. If your eggs are really fresh they will be harder to peel. The plunging into the boiling water seems to help a little bit with that for some reason.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:11 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I know how to boil an egg but I've also become aware of several different methods. I wondered what is the best way so the yolks don't turn green and the shells don't stick when you peel them? I've been trying different methods I find online but so far I haven't found that magical best way so my deviled eggs come out looking nice.

One tip my mom told me for the shells is to use older eggs. That works, but I don't always have that luxury.

Thanks!
There are many theories as to why some eggs are easier to peel. IMO they are all just theories. Mine is that if is you buy cage free eggs from happy chickens they will peel easier. This is only because the eggs I peeled today WERE from cage free chickens and they peeled very easily.

Anyway, the foolproof way to cook them is to place the eggs in a pan of hot water. Put the heat on high and wait for them to get to a full boil. Turn down the heat so that they are at a gentle simmer for ten minutes.

Alternatively, you can bring the eggs to a full boil, cover, and remove from heat for 10 minutes.

Then, drain off the hot water and rinse with cold water so you can handle them. You can crack the shells so they will cool faster. That's all there is to it. it's not rocket science.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:46 PM

112 posts, read 130,693 times
I let the water boil until I can see the bubbles on the top. Then I put the eggs in, let it sit for 5 minutes. I also add in some salt, hoping it would help the eggs not to crack. After 5 solid minutes, I take them out & cool them with cold water. This way, the egg white is solid but the yolk is half liquid. I like it that way.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:00 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
I asked this question in a knitting circle once--wow, people can be passionate on how to make a hard boiled egg!

I buy "fresh" eggs from happy chickens from the dairy farmer and found they are the best.

I use this:Egg Perfect Timer | Williams-Sonoma

and my eggs come out perfect every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes