Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times

Advertisements

I remember one bodybuilder who used to mix instant chocolate pudding into instant oatmeal with milk, if I remember correctly, and zap it quickly for a fast breakfast. I've never tried that.

By the way, rolled oats are not raw, they've been steamed, rolled, and toasted briefly. Instant oats are the same thing but cut finer to absorb liquid more quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 05:13 PM

560 posts, read 849,178 times
My standard is fresh apples and cinnamon, and sometimes raw almonds along with that. But as many have said, it can be so versatile. I just add whatever fruit I happen to have. Not really a sweetener fan so usually nothing like sugar, honey, syrup etc.

I tend to be a savory breakfast fan, and have been thinking about trying something savory with the oatmeal. Might be a bit weird, but won't know until I try!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
My favorite is turbinado sugar, walnuts, raisins.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:38 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Add some apple sauce or a bit of canned pumpkin, a little cinnamon and nutmeg. How about a little bit of preserves like strawberry or raspberry?

Old 10-27-2015, 04:47 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
By spice up I mean making it tastier. It is sort of bland sometimes which is normal for oatmeal, I think.
What about cranberries? Can one buy frozen cranberries and put them in the oatmeal as the oatmeal is warming up? Any other suggestions.
If I am being indulgent, butter and salt and pepper with a dash of heavy cream.

If I am not, and it's a regular day, blueberries, almond milk and a tsp. of sugar. Or maple syrup and nuts.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:19 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Berries, apples, maple sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, honey, pumpkin puree, raisins, coconut milk, nuts or seeds, jam, apple butter ... The list is endless.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:43 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Berries, apples, maple sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, honey, pumpkin puree, raisins, coconut milk, nuts or seeds, jam, apple butter ... The list is endless.
Are there any oats in that .LOL

Old 10-28-2015, 10:55 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Brown sugar and cinnamon.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
My standard is fresh apples and cinnamon, and sometimes raw almonds along with that. But as many have said, it can be so versatile. I just add whatever fruit I happen to have. Not really a sweetener fan so usually nothing like sugar, honey, syrup etc.

I tend to be a savory breakfast fan, and have been thinking about trying something savory with the oatmeal. Might be a bit weird, but won't know until I try!
It's not weird. Rethinking Oatmeal: 7 Savory Morning Recipes | The Kitchn Savory Oatmeal Is The New Breakfast Of Champions. Here Are 13 Ways To Make It.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:55 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
It is not necessary to always have oatmeal with something sweet. In many countries oatmeal is just cooked with salt.

You can use oatmeal with eggs and cheese. This is how I do it:

I use old fashion oatmeal and I use half milk with the water with some butter, salt. I cook oatmeal in a microwave in a larger bowl uncovered until it is almost cooked., I stir it and then I break an egg into the oatmeal. I break the yolk. I add salt, onion powder, some hot sauce and shredded cheese. I then cover and cook until done.

This way I have oatmeal with egg and cheese in one dish. It is nice savory dish.

I have also mixed different hot cereals together as cream of wheat and oatmeal. I sometimes add grits. Again topped with egg and cheese, sometimes I scramble the egg. You can add crumbled bacon or chopped ham. Chopped cooked sausage is nice.

You can add frozen spinach or chopped tomatoes. You can be adventuresome and add some kippers. Try chopped cooked onions. You can add garlic, olive oil, rosemary, basil, oregano, You could add sliced cooked potatoes etc.

Basically you look at oatmeal as the base and add whatever pleases you. It can be thought as an oatmeal omelette or frittata in a bowl. Try to stay away from the idea that oatmeal has to be always served sweet.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes