Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:06 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
This sounds so intriguing, I've never ever heard of this or seen a stew recipe including green olives in it, but I absolutely love them, so I'm going to give it a try!
I missed this earlier.
When I was a kid we used to eat Goya's frozen beef stew. It had green olives in it. I loved it! As an adult I now realize Goya frozen food is yucky but my love of green olives in beef stew stands strong. I make a Cuban beef stew that calls for them, it is so good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 01:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
So many of you add so much liquid, it sounds more like soup than stew! Not that I have anything at all against a beef-based soup. But it does beg the question: where does stew end and soup begin?

Old 10-23-2016, 01:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
Beef and beef stock, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, celery, bay leaf, jalapeño for heat, salt,pepper and other spices. I love Beef Stew on cold days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I don't like a tomato-y beef stew. Just beef, beef stock, onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and whatever seasonings I feel like adding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I prefer my beef stew with tomato sauce rather than gravy.
I've long since gotten away from tomato in beef stew and my chili. At times I'll put a pinch of tomato paste in chili. Tomato goes well in most soups and stews. I just prefer to preserve the beef flavor in beef stew and chili. To each their own of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
So many of you add so much liquid, it sounds more like soup than stew! Not that I have anything at all against a beef-based soup. But it does beg the question: where does stew end and soup begin?
It is a blurry line. To me the difference between a beef roast and beef stew is that stew has more liquid. Stew might have some additional small veggies as well. Such as corn, peas, or even broccoli or cauliflower. Let's face it there are an endless number of concoctions to be made that would be somewhere in between soup and stew.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:43 AM

14 posts, read 14,043 times
When I cook beef stew I like to put in stew meat, potatoes,carrots,celery and onions and let it slow cook.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:21 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,079,914 times
I make my beef stew in a Dutch oven on the stove top.

Ingredients:

1.5 lbs trimmed stew meat dusted in flour
5 large potatoes chopped in large chunks
1 medium sweet potato chopped in large chunks
3 finely chopped cloves of garlic
3 celery stalks sliced in 1/4" pieces
4 carrots sliced in 1/4" pieces
1 large yellow onion chopped
1 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 package of Lipton Onion soup mix
Splash of Gravy Master
1 can College Inn beef broth
1 tbsp of corn starch dissolved in 1/2 cup of warm water

Directions:

Brown meat, onion, and garlic. Add all vegetables except sweet potato. Add broth, Lipton soup mix, corn starch, Gravy Master, and spices. Cook 1/2 hour on low then add sweet potato and cook another 1/2 hour or until sweet potato is of desired texture.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:02 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Lots of mushrooms, red wine, and fresh parsley to finish.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:44 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
Carrots, onions, potato and perhaps green beans if I have some on hand..
My grandmother used to make a white stew, it was just a light color beef based gravy..
I prefer mine to be a bit darker adding some kitchen bouquet if necessary..

Personally I've never seen tomato in a stew or peppers and would probably never order it at a restaurant..
Not that it wouldn't be good, there are just too many variations on such dishes as soup, stew, meatloaf and many others..
I absolutely love split pea soup and as tempting as it may be I stopped ordering it out as more times then not I'm disappointed at what I get..

Mamma's famous stew at place X is going to be 100% different from place Y same as things like meatloaf..
Some absolutely delicious and some not to my personal preference, or worse absolutely flavorless and horrid..

Old 11-22-2016, 10:12 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Lots of mushrooms, red wine, and fresh parsley to finish.
Magnifique!

I like a simple stew - browned beef cubes, potatoes, carrots and onions in a thickened beef broth with barley, salt and pepper.

A recommendation - if you are ever anywhere near the Latchkey Inn in Icebox Canyon south of Spearfish, SD have a bowl of their buffalo stew.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:19 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGreatDeals View Post
When I cook beef stew I like to put in stew meat, potatoes,carrots,celery and onions and let it slow cook.

Think hubby would add some beer to the mix (whereas I might opt for a little wine)
Yeah, hopefully not the same stew

Old 11-22-2016, 01:19 PM

126,262 posts, read 19,028,275 times
I used to ( and only when guests are coming) make Hungarian beef stew with Spätzle

diced bacon
sweet large finely diced Vidalia onion
finely diced green bell pepper
minced garlic
finely cut large tomato
beef stew
sweet Hungarian paprika
salt/black pepper to taste
caraway seeds
bay leaf
water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes