Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:20 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,332,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
I totally agree with SmokyMtnGal.. I soak chicken in buttermilk and coat w/ flour but instead of salt/pepper/onion.. I got MD style and mix flour and Old Bay... I personally think the buttermilk is key..
Oh yea, I bet Old Bay is good for the MD style. Hadn't thought about that. Might do that with chicken fingers (tenders) when we do a fish fry and hush puppy night. Thank for the tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 PM

522 posts, read 1,581,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I will share my southern families secret for awesome fried chicken. First, we rinse off the chicken pieces, dry with paper towels and salt all pieces extremely well with regular table salt. Place back in fridge overnight. The morning you are going to fry the chicken, or at least one to two hours before frying, place all pieces of chicken in buttermilk and let soak. If buttermilk isn't available soak in regular milk. Then proceed with coating the chicken and frying. As for the coating, we all do something different in my family. Basically though we use flour, salt, pepper, and I add granulated onion and garlic, seasoning salt and just a pinch of sugar. Some southern cooks like poultry seasoning also but I am not one of them. An electric skillet is the best for frying chicken, but if you don't have it get your vegetable oil (Crisco or Wesson, don't use the cheap stuff) hot to about 375 degrees, cook 5 min each side; do not flip back and forth!!! When done place on paper towels to drain. I usually place paper towels in a 13 x 9 and as the pieces are done I place the dish in the oven on low to keep the chicken warm until ready to serve. This is also very, very good cold!

Wow...I am trying this recipe over the weekend. Sounds yummy!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,051,736 times
The best fried chicken I've ever had was Chuck's fried chicken made at a drive inn in my hometown that's closed now. He used pancake batter and would let the chicken set in it for a day or so and then cooked it in a pressure cooker. That's the big thing, frying it in a pan doesnt' lock in the juices the way the pressure cooker does. The pancake batter made a light crispy coating on the chicken and had a great kind of salty flavor.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
The best fried chicken I've ever had was Chuck's fried chicken made at a drive inn in my hometown that's closed now. He used pancake batter and would let the chicken set in it for a day or so and then cooked it in a pressure cooker. That's the big thing, frying it in a pan doesnt' lock in the juices the way the pressure cooker does. The pancake batter made a light crispy coating on the chicken and had a great kind of salty flavor.
My mother LOVES to cook with her pressure cooker. I am a big fat skeerdy cat; and refuse to use them. I swear that her food seems to taste better when cooked in one of her FIVE pressure cookers!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,437,219 times
Default Looking for your best fried chicken recipes

Hi to all on this forum:

My soon to be husband absolutely LOVES fried chicken, he would love it if I could come up with a great recipe. I don't make the best. Can any of you provide me with a good, spicy fried chicken recipe? I would be so grateful for your best. Kitt

Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Hi to all on this forum:

My soon to be husband absolutely LOVES fried chicken, he would love it if I could come up with a great recipe. I don't make the best. Can any of you provide me with a good, spicy fried chicken recipe? I would be so grateful for your best. Kitt
There are some recipes posted here: //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...d-chicken.html and here: //www.city-data.com/forum/food-...er-recipe.html

Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,842,840 times
Marinade chicken pieces (with skin) in a large freezer bag with buttermilk and sliced onions overnight.
Remove chicken the next day and dredge in flour. You can spice up the flour with cayenne pepper, black pepper, etc. Cook in a deep fryer or frying pan that is deep with high sides, until done - typically 15 minutes per side.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:09 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,685,025 times
I don't use buttermilk b/c I don't like the texture it gives.

I season mine w/ paprika, black pepper, season all, garlic and dried onion. Sometimes it sits for a while in the fridge (covered) sometimes I do it right before I use it.

In a separate bowl, I whisk 2 eggs, some water (I eyeball it - maybe 2 - 4 tablespoons), and a lot of hot sauce. Maybe 1/4 cup or so. pour over the chicken.

in a plastic bag, I add self rising flour (gives best crust) and a little bit more of the seasonings I added to the chicken. Dip in egg wash, then flour. Fry. It's soooo yummy and even my 5 year old likes it. The hot sauce does NOT make it hot or spicy, just adds flavor (learned it from the awesome Paula Deen).

Old 07-17-2009, 02:04 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,481,493 times
Recipe is for a whole chicken,

Clean chicken and pat dry lightly sprinkle both sides with
kosher salt and let set.

Mix eight whole eggs along with one cup of whole milk
and one tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper mix well.

Pour a ½ cup of flour into a zip lock bag add a couple of
pieces of chicken at a time shake off excess.

Dunk into egg/milk mix drain off excess and place into
360° oil* for 13 to 14 min.

* I use 360° because as you add chicken it will drop to about 350°

It your space is limited heat you oven to 200° and place a rack on a
foil covered sheet pan.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:58 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,739,303 times
If you or anyone needs to go with a version which is a bit lower in fat, here's what I do.

Mix about 1 1/2 cup potato bud flakes, tablespoon flour, salt, pepper, plenty of paprika, bit of cayenne pepper. I use a flat bowl. Put a small amount of skim milk (or whatever you have) in a flat bowl to use for dipping.

Heavily spray a cookie sheet with canola spray. (I have used olive oil spray in place of canola.) Dip cut up pieces of chicken in milk and shake off most excess. Roll the chicken in the potato flakes mixture and put on the cookie sheet. Spray the top of the pieces with canola spray until the surface is covered well. Bake in 375 oven and turn when pieces look brown on the bottom. If any piece looks there is dry flour, spray it a little in that spot. Note you can take most of the skin off too to lower the fat. This takes about 50 - 60 minutes or whatever according to your oven.

Makes me not miss fried chicken as much as I normally do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes