Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 06:16 PM

49,971 posts, read 63,287,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
When I have leftover wine (yes, occasionally that happens!) I freeze it in an ice cube tray and then can pop in a cube into a recipe.
You are making that up, right? You really just drink it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 06:29 PM

18,766 posts, read 27,196,342 times
OP, to keep people drunk? No, not because you will get drunk off small alcohol amount in food. because you train your mind that drinking is Ok and sort of cool. Where the meat tenderizer, as that's what it's suggested for, end up eventually? In YOU, right?
There are some very simple alcohol free ways of marinating meats with a MUCH better result than what they give you in any of those recipes.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:41 PM

49,971 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, to keep people drunk? No, not because you will get drunk off small alcohol amount in food. because you train your mind that drinking is Ok and sort of cool. Where the meat tenderizer, as that's what it's suggested for, end up eventually? In YOU, right?
There are some very simple alcohol free ways of marinating meats with a MUCH better result than what they give you in any of those recipes.
BS-o meter. Alcohol cooks off when heated.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,516,290 times
I don't add either wine or beer to beef stew. I do use wine when it's appropriate, but it's not appropriate in most beef stews. Just leave it out.

If you wish to have more flavor sprinkle the beef with MSG (Accent is the most common brand, but the generic may be on the shelf as well. This will intensify the flavor. Squeeze about two inches from a tube of anchovy paste. This will add other glutamates; you will not taste the anchovy. Glutamates work on the umami, savory.

Sprinkle the beef before you brown it.

I urge you to cook this slowly. It's worth waiting to experience a taste treat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Old 11-28-2015, 09:04 AM

20,817 posts, read 28,136,000 times
Non of the beef stew recipes I have seen have beer or wine in it. Maybe it's beef burgonion?

Old 11-29-2015, 04:53 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,010,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have nothing against drinking wine or beer but I don't want to have to go out and buy wine or beer for a recipe. The recipes call for a small amount so the rest of the wine or beer would just sit there since I rarely drink either of the stuff. Do you simply ignore the call for wine or beer or maybe there is a substitute that will give it the same taste.
No substitute for it.

Alcohol helps bring fat and water together. It pulls flavors that are only alcohol soluble into the party. It cannot be substituted for in most dishes and still achieve the same results.

Now I have never used wine in a proper American beef stew. Italian, and French ones, yes.

I would just keep looking for a different beef stew recipe.

Beef bourguignon is the king of beef stews and it does call for a Bergundian red wine.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:58 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,450,963 times
I'm the same I've never had a beef stew or casserole with alcohol in it before.

I've had a few beers with it but that's a different story

Old 11-29-2015, 01:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,648,459 times
I'm surprised to see so many folks say they are not familiar with wine as an ingredient in stew. Here in California we all throw a slug of burgundy into our beef stew.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:49 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,450,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I'm surprised to see so many folks say they are not familiar with wine as an ingredient in stew. Here in California we all throw a slug of burgundy into our beef stew.
Honestly I've never heard of it here in the UK.

But I'm certain it can catch on quite quickly

Old 11-29-2015, 02:05 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,642,755 times
Wine adds flavor that nothing else does. I like wine in stews.

For the puritans - the alcohol cooks off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes