Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 01:19 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,727,463 times

Advertisements

I usually make beef stew without wine but one time I had some laying around and I added it the stew. It was one of the best stews I have ever made. If I have some wine around and I am making a stew, in it will go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 07:45 PM

41,757 posts, read 74,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have nothing against drinking wine or beer but I don't want to have to go out and buy wine or beer for a recipe. The recipes call for a small amount so the rest of the wine or beer would just sit there since I rarely drink either of the stuff. Do you simply ignore the call for wine or beer or maybe there is a substitute that will give it the same taste.
The flavor won't be the same without the wine or beer. You can use consomme or red grape juice, but the results will be off. Leftover wine -- although I'm not familiar with the concept -- can be frozen in anticipation of your next recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Non of the beef stew recipes I have seen have beer or wine in it. Maybe it's beef burgonion?
Beef bourguignon is beef stew ...

Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,143,135 times
I don't see the problem:

1.) Buy bottle of wine
2.) Use wine in stew
3.) Drink remainder of wine with the stew

And, no, there is no substitute for the depth of flavor that wine provides.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:42 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,508,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Honestly I've never heard of it here in the UK.

But I'm certain it can catch on quite quickly

Are you working class perhaps? Beef stews in the UK are regularly made with claret as an ingredient. Some people use a stout, such as Guinness, in there instead.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM

32,514 posts, read 47,541,342 times
OP, if you don't want to use wine in the stew, leave it out. There are lots of stew recipes that don't use wine or beer.

A small glug of Pinot Noir or Burgundy does add a nice something to a beef dish. It should be a seasoning, not a major component.

You can buy a small bottle of wine, perhaps 6 ounces? My only advice is that if you do it, don't buy the bottom of the price range. Bad wine does nothing to enhance a dish. You don't need wine-connoisseur-expensive wine, but it should be at least mid range decent quality. Beef has gotten expensive and you don't want to ruin it with cheap swill.

You can just leave the wine out, or if you really feel you must do something, substitute some apple juice or a teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Browning the meat before you start adding liquids is much more important than having wine. The gravy is important in a stew and you get good gravy by browning the meat and maybe caramelizing the onions.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:07 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,118,780 times
Well, native Californian here, and my family never used wine in stew, unless it was a French recipe, or maybe Italian. But our basic from the farm stew, no wine. Drink with the stew, indeed!

Old 12-01-2015, 06:10 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,592,679 times
You can freeze wine. There are also brands which sell little 150ml bottles in four packs. Quality is irrelevant when it comes to cooking with wine, anything will do.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:56 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,432,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
You can freeze wine. There are also brands which sell little 150ml bottles in four packs. Quality is irrelevant when it comes to cooking with wine, anything will do.

In my experience, that's absolutely wrong. If you put a crummy wine in your food, the food turns out crummy. See oregonwoodsmoke's post, above.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,466,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Are you working class perhaps? Beef stews in the UK are regularly made with claret as an ingredient. Some people use a stout, such as Guinness, in there instead.
I'm most certainly working class thank you very much and proud of it

I however do occasionally " cross the border " and dine with the middle classes and even the upper classes and haven't had it with alcohol

Old 12-02-2015, 12:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,666,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Why do you ask if we are working-class? I identify, and vote, working class, but I don't see the relevance to the discussion. Are you a PITA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes