Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times

Advertisements

I love fudge and different candies and the more different types I make, the better I like it. But I need more recipes for different types.

I really want to find a great Maple Fudge recipe. I had some Maple Fudge while in Canada but haven't been able to find a good recipe. I have tried Mapleine and maple syrup.

Any recipes you want to share?

oops....I copied these recipes from my document files so some of the type is different...sorry.

I. FANTASY FUDGE (the original and not the one currently on the Marshmallow Crème)

Note copied from the original Kraft jar.

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup margarine
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow crème
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla

Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Mix sugar, margarine and evaporated milk in a 2 1/2 quart heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar and margarine are melted. Bring mixture to a full boil and boil for 5 minutes (Note: I start timing once it starts to boil).

Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted. Beat in marshmallow crème and beat until combined well then add vanilla and nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Tip: I have a large cup of hot water ready to dip the rubber spatula in to enable getting the marshmallow crème out of the jar more easily. Also once you put the marshmallow crème into the remaining mixture, work fast as the fudge begins to set up fairly fast.

II. EASY PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

2 cups sugar
½ cup milk (evaporated)
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup peanut butter
¼ cup chopped nuts

Put sugar and milk in a heavy pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 2 ½ minutes. Stir entire time. Remove from heat and add peanut butter and vanilla. Stir just briefly, just until mixed. Add nuts and stir briefly and pour into buttered 8 x 8 pan. Cool before cutting.

Note: I typically add a handful of marshmallows to the fudge after adding the peanut butter - just to keep it soft

III. ENGLISH TOFFEE
Note: I have won several cooking contests with this recipe.

1 cup butter (I use margarine)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 Hershey's Chocolate Candy Bars
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Combine water, butter/margarine, sugar and salt in heavy 2 1/2 saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly to hard-crack stage (300 degrees). Watch carefully. Immediately pour onto an ungreased baking sheet. Spread out as far as you can spread. Break up the Hershey chocolate bars and place the pieces on top of hot toffee in various places. When melted, spread smoothly over the surface. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate and press down with a metal spatula. Let set until the chocolate is hard, then break into bite-sized pieces. Store where cool and in container with a tight lid.

IV. EASY TURTLES

4 ounces Pecan Halves
24 unwrapped Kraft Caramels
1 teaspoon shortening
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 300 F. Cover cookie sheets with aluminum foil, shiny side up and lightly spray with cooking spray. Put 3 pecan halves in a Y on the foil. Pleace one caramel in the center of each Y. Bake just until the caramel is melted, which will take about 9 to 20 minutes.

Heat shortening and chocolate chips until the chips are melted, over low heat. Spread over the pecans/caramels. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

V. PRETZEL CANDIES

Pretzels - either the Twists or the square grid shaped
Rolo Candies Unwrapped
Pecan halves

Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Place pretzels on a baking sheet. Place and unwrapped Rolo candy in the center of each pretzel. Place in the oven only until the Rolo candy starts to melt, about 4 minutes. Don't melt them all the way.
Remove from oven and place a pecan half (or M&M or anything else you want to use) on top of the Rolo candy. Let cool, then store where cool and in container with a tight lid.

VI. ANOTHER TURTLE VARIETY
Note: I think are better than the Easy Turtles shown above, but are much more time consuming.

14 oz bag of caramels
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 cups coarsely chopped pecans
24 oz package of chocolate almond bark
Melt the caramels and the condensed milk together very slowly and over medium low heat. Add chopped pecans and mix well. Let this mixture cool for 30 minutes so the candies will hold their shape better.
Line baking sheets with foil and then lightly spray with cooking spray. Drop by tablespoon on the baking sheet, then place in refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Melt the chocolate almond bark slowly and then dip each caramel/pecan piece into the chocolate, covering the entire candy. Place on waxed paper until cool. Only remove one baking sheet at a time from the refrigerator as they soften very quickly.

Last edited by rural chick; 11-26-2013 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: taking out editing symbols
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Well, there's Velveeta Fudge ... which I haven't had the nerve to try yet, LOL!

Velveeta Fudge
12 ounces Velveeta cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup butter or margarine
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate broken into pieces
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
32 ounces powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups chopped Pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla

Microwave velveeta, butter, chocolate, and corn syrup in microwaveable bowl on high 3 min. or until blended, stirring after 2 minutes.
Add chocolate mixture, in batches, to sugar in large bowl, beating with mixer on medium speed until blended after each addition. Stir in nuts and vanilla.
Pour into 13x9-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray. Smooth top with spatula. Refrigerate several hours or until firm before cutting into 1-inch squares.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:42 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I don't have a recipe but I recall as a kid making Bull's Eye Candy which was like a ball shaped Reece's cup.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 AM

Thanks for that Velveeta Fudge recipe but, like you, I'm a little scared to make that particular type this year. I'm not sure I would like it.

Does anyone else even make candy or is the sugar too high for most posters? I just don't think it's the Holidays unless there is homemade candy!

Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I make candy. It's the holidays, after all.

My favorite fudge recipe was awfully sweet, so I substitutes baking chocolate for some of the semisweet chocolate. It makes a huge difference.

I usually make Turtles. They are so expensive to buy and not too much work to make (although still not cheap). Soft caramel is easy and beyond that it is just dripping some caramel over pecans and some melted chocolate on top of that.

I have made home made marshmallow to make rocky road.

Most of the holidays sweets are baked goods, though.

My best hint when making dipped chocolates: drop them onto a silicon baking sheet. Once they are cooled, they come off easily.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I had some Maple Fudge last year that was delicious...but I don't have the recipe

Hmm...I have seen that Velveeta Fudge and although it gets great reviews I am still scared to try it.

Here are some that are on my list:

Bridge Mix Bark

4 cups milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups roasted, salted peanuts
1 1/2 cups chopped pretzels
1 cup raisins
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Melt your milk chocolate on low heat, stirring until completely smooth. Stir in the peanuts, pretzels and raisins.

Line a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pour the melted chocolate over the foil and spread it out into a rectangle. Pop in the fridge for 1 hour to firm up.

Melt the bittersweet chocolate in another saucepan over low heat, stirring until completely smooth. Take the bark out of the fridge and pour the melted chocolate over the top. Use a spatula to smooth it out. Put back into the fridge for a couple more hours, you want it to get completely firm.

Cut the bark in 1/2 by 3-inch pieces.

Chocolate Pretzels

2 bags chocolate chips (dark or milk chocolate)
1 bag pretzels (logs work well for this, but you can try any of the medium to thick variety of twists)
Chopped nuts, for garnish, optional
Colored nonpareils, for garnish, optional
Sprinkles, for garnish, optional
Coconut, for garnish, optional
Crushed cookies, for garnish, optional

Melt chocolate in double boiler over medium heat on stove top. Using tongs, or your fingers, quickly dip pretzels in chocolate allowing the excess to run off. Place dipped pretzels on waxed paper lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, colored sugars or other toppings. Allow to harden. You may need to refrigerate for a while to help this along. Once hardened, remove from sheets and store in a cool location, with waxed paper between layers.

Bailey's Irish Coffee Cream Fudge

3/4 c margarine or butter
3 c sugar
1/2 - 3/4 c evaporated milk
1/3 c bailey's irish cream
1 Tbsp instant coffee crystals
7 oz jar marshmallow cream
1 pkg vanilla morsels or butterscotch chips
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a small bowl combine Bailey's and coffee crystals. Microwave on high for 10 seconds. or until melted and dissolved

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter,evaporated milk, sugar and marshmallow cream. Slowly add the Bailey's coffee mixture; stir well. Boil for 5 mins.

Remove from heat and stir in chips and vanilla extract. Stir for approx. 3-4 mins. until smooth. Pour into a foil lined 8x8" pan. Chill to set.

Chocolate Nut Cranberry Clusters

8 oz dark chocolate chips
1 c coursley chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds (make sure the pieces are not too small)
1/2 c dried cranberries (craisins) or you can use raisins

1. Line a small baking sheet with waxed paper.
2. Place chocolate chips in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup and microwave on 50% power for approx 25 seconds - then stir well. Continue doing this until the chocolate chips are almost completely melted - reducing the time as you go. Be careful to not let the chocolate burn.
3. Add the nuts and dried cranberries to the melted chocolate and mix well.
4. Drop tablespoon fulls of the chocolate mixture onto the waxed paper covered cookie sheet.
5. Place in frig for at least 15 minutes. Enjoy.
I like to store mine in the freezer.

Chocolate Covered Cherries

3 c powdered sugar
1/4 c margarine or butter
1/4 c condensed sweetened milk (not evaporated)
4 tsp vanilla extract
pinch salt
1 pkg high end chocolate chips (milk, semi-sweet, or dark)
1 jar(s) maraschino cherries, drained and dried, reserve the juice.

1. Start by making a fondant - simply combine the first five ingredients until smooth and not sticky. Chill in fridge for an hour.

2. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and spread cherries out in a single layer - stems on, if possible. Freeze for an hour.

3. When ready to make your chocolate covered cherries, remove fondant and cherries from the fridge/freezer. Since it takes a bit of time to make these, I remove only a few cherries and a bit of fondant at a time so that they don't get too warm and sticky.

4. Wrap each cherry in 1-2 teaspoons of the fondant, forming a tight ball. Return cherries to tray and freeze again for an hour.

5. Use either the microwave or a double-boiler to melt your chocolate. Thin it down with enough reserved cherry juice to get the proper consistency for dipping.

6. Removing a few fondant-wrapped cherries from the freezer at a time, dip them in the chocolate and coat completely. Since my cherries didn't have stems, I did follow the tip of using a toothpick to aid in the dipping process. Let the excess chocolate drip off, then put the cherry on wax paper to rest. Dab a bit of extra chocolate on top to cover any hole left from the toothpick.

When done, place dipped cherries in the fridge to set. Store in an airtight container in the fridge as well. If you let them be for a few days, the center with be nice and liquidy... but they're good right away too!

Easy Pecan Caramel Turtles

4 oz. pecan halves
24 unwrapped Kraft Caramels
1 tsp. shortening
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Cover cookies sheet with aluminum foil, shiny side exposed. Lightly grease foil with vegetable oil spray. Place 3 pecan halves in a Y shape on the foil. Place 1 caramel candy in the center of each Y. Bake just until caramel is melted, about 9 to 10 minutes.
Heat shortening and chocolate chips over low heat just until chocolate is melted. Spread over candies and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Buckeye Bark

1 package candy making chocolate bark
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

Melt chocolate according to package directions. Pour half of melted chocolate onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a spatula, spread chocolate to create a large chocolate slab. Place in freezer for 10 minutes to solidify.
Mix together peanut butter and vanilla then stir in powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
Spread peanut butter mixture over chilled chocolate slab to cover entirely.
Pour remaining melted chocolate over top of peanut butter layer. Carefully spread to edges to completely cover peanut butter.
Return to freezer for 5-10 minutes to set top layer of chocolate. Cut Bark into desired sized pieces and enjoy.
Store in an air tight container. No need to refrigerate unless in a warm climate.

Peanut Butter Cups

If you’re looking for something quick and easy, you’ve gotta try this!

16 oz semi-sweet or milk chocolate, chopped (or use chips)
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

In a small glass bowl, heat half of the chocolate in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Remove from the microwave once the chips begin to slightly melt. Use a fork to stir until smooth, using the heat of the chocolate to melt the remaining chips entirely. If needed, re-heat in 10 second intervals until smooth.

Mounds Bars

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed
milk
2 cups flaked coconut
1 (12 ounce) package semisweet
chocolate chips, melted

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter or margarine. Mix and pat into the bottom of one 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
3. Combine the condensed milk and flaked coconut. Spread over the crust and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
Spread the melted chocolate chips over the top. Let cool and cut into squares.

Dark Chocolate Toffee Truffles

10 ounce package Nestle® Toll House® Dark Chocolate Morsels

2/3 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup toffee bits (see note below)

1. Place chocolate morsels into a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a boil. Remove hot cream from heat and pour it over chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute, then stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla extract and chopped toffee bits. Cover and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a small cookie scoop, shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll truffles between your palms to create a smooth appearance. If desired, roll truffles in cocoa powder or additional toffee bits. Chill until ready to serve.

Bailey’s Chocolate Truffles

1 package*(12 Oz. Size) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
3 Tablespoons*Unsalted Butter
⅓ cups*Heavy Cream
1 teaspoon*Vanilla Extract
3 Tablespoons*Bailey's Irish Cream Liqueur
1 cup*Chocolate Jimmies, Optional

In a double boiler over simmering water, combine chocolate, butter and heavy cream. Heat until chocolate is melted. Stir until you have a smooth mixture. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Pour mixture into a shallow casserole dish (9×13) and cool at room temperature for about 25 minutes.
Stir in the Bailey’s and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours. If you refrigerate longer than 2 hours, the mixture will be too hard to work with.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a melon baller, scoop out chocolate mixture, roll into 1-inch balls, and place on baking sheet. Roll balls in jimmies until coated on all sides.
Makes approximately 20.

Reeses Squares - 5 Ingredients & No Bake (Reese's)

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 lb confectioners' sugar (3 to 3 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 cup butter, melted
1 (12 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips

Combine graham crumbs, sugar and peanut butter and mix well.
Blend in melted butter until well combined.
Press mixture evenly into a 9 x 13 inch pan.
Melt chocolate chips in microwave or in double boiler.
Spread over peanut butter mixture.
Chill until just set and cut into bars (these are very hard to cut if the chocolate gets "rock hard".

Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy

1 pound white candy coating, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
2 cups (12 ounces) Nestle Semisweet Chocolate Chips

In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating; stir until
smooth.
Stir in peanut butter; thinly spread onto a waxed
paper-lined baking sheet.

In another microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until
smooth.
Drizzle over candy coating mixture; cut through mixture with
a knife to swirl the chocolate.
Chill until firm.

Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the
refrigerator. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.

Homemade Cranberry Nut Granola
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, 2008

1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
Nonstick cooking spray
1/3 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped roasted and salted almonds
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.

Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, cranberry juice, and cinnamon over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved.

In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and salt.

Pour the maple mixture over the oat mixture and stir until combined. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Stir in the cranberries and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture begins to brown. Cool completely. Store airtight in a plastic container for up to 1 week.

Last edited by ylisa7; 11-28-2013 at 07:14 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 AM

Lisa....thank you for taking the time to post those....they are great!! I will definitely try a lot of those.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:24 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Lisa....thank you for taking the time to post those....they are great!! I will definitely try a lot of those.
You're welcome. Let us know which ones are keepers

Here are two more very quick and easy ones:

Pretzel Turtles Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Pretzel Smoochies Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 11-28-2013, 06:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
My Grandmother always made candied grapefruit peel, orange peel, that is so good fresh.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:36 AM

126,263 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My Grandmother always made candied grapefruit peel, orange peel, that is so good fresh.
My mother used to make that and oh my gosh was that delicious. She used to make it around the holiday time.

I use this recipe for making my own "Maple Syrup Fudge.".see below..

Maple Fudge recipe - Canadian Living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes