Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:54 AM

162 posts, read 212,826 times

Advertisements

I think the best chilli has the cut up sirloin rather than hamburger. My recipe also has a dash of cinnamon in it which is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
...Turkey. Whatever.
"Whatever?" really?!?! Some of us don't care for the taste of beef.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:38 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
I have found an interesting twist to homemade chili. I throw in some dried cranberries just before serving. That sweetness in an occasional bite is interesting.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:02 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I have found an interesting twist to homemade chili. I throw in some dried cranberries just before serving. That sweetness in an occasional bite is interesting.
I once made a vegetarian chili, a long time ago. I don't remember much about it, except it was good, and it had raisins in it.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:24 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I also make mine with ground turkey. I add the dry ingredients to the meat when I am browning it. That way, it darkens the meat and most folks don't realize it's turkey.

BTW - I add a healthy dose of paprika and, as with all dishes I prepare with cumin, equals parts cumin and ground coriander.
Agree. We recently had some leftover flank steak from making fajitas and my wife chopped it up and made chili. She has a recipe that uses chili powder, cumin, coriander and paprika (in addition of course to S&P and tomatoes) that is very good.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:29 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I use the McCormick's spice packet for BBQ Chili. Add a box of chopped Pomi tomatoes, a jar of Chipotle salsa, two cans of black beans, one large sweet potato chopped up, a few cloves of crushed garlic, extra chili powder, a pound of ground bison and stick it in the crockpot for several hours. Comes out amazing.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:27 PM

658 posts, read 1,142,825 times
Meats (don't use fattier meats, we make up for it elsewhere in the recipe)

use about 1 pound of each
~88 lean ground beef
"lean" ground pork
93 ground turkey

1/2 pound thick cut smoked bacon (diced to small cubes)

Produce
3-4 small cans of tomato paste
1 large can of diced tomatoes
or
make equivalents from fresh tomatoes (4-6 tomatoes IIRC) with blender and chopper

1 large (2" diameter base) leek

1-2 (size and taste depending) heads of garlic

1x (I like more!!! I know you might not though ) habaneros

3-4x (mix) yellow/red/orange bell peppers
2x dried ancho peppers

Beans (if you actually want to bother cooking fresh beans too... I do this sometimes, but seldom as it takes sooo long.. it IS better though if you can manage)
whatever equates to
3 standard cans pinto beans
3 standard cans black beans

Herbs/spices/whatnot

(lots) Ground cumin, about 8 tbsp
Ground cayenne pepper 1-2 tbsp
Ground fennel seed 1 tsp
Ground celery seed 1sp
Fresh Crushed black pepper 1tbsp (or more)
Rosemary 1tsp
Fresh crushed Sea Salt 1tbsp
Brown sugar, 1 tbsp
Agave Nectar 1 tbsp

Troegenator or other nice strong doublebock, or a maltier East Coast style DIPA (1 bottle)
Blue Agave Tequila (2 fingers)
Grapeseed Oil

Ok, let's get started (and I'll assume you know all the dangers/safety precautions of cooking with alcohol and with high flame point oils like grapeseed oil... in case you don't, google around or write me back with ?s )

In a very large pot (6-8 quarts) on the range top

Pour in the beer, 2-3 shots of tequila, the tomatoe paste, and around 6 tbsp of the grapeseed oil.
Stir it around a bit
Add in around 8tbsp of the cumin, celery seed, the 1or2 tbsp of crushed black pepper, and a few sprinkles of salt and rosemary, brown sugar, agave nectar
Bring to a low heat shy of boil (typically like knob to 2 or 3 if 8 or 10 settings) stirring occasionally

Meanwhile
Begin pan browining the meats in just a bit of oil , fennel (1tsp) and cayenne (1-2 tbsp) (will spatter, have lid or screen)

In blender liquefy the peppers , the base of the leek, and the garlic cloves(?) and add them to the liquid in the pot.
If you use a habanero, wear gloves of course. (rubbing eyes with habaenro oil would probably not be fun)

When meat is done browning, add it, the 6 cans of beans (or fresh equivalent.. ) with all but 1 of each having been completely drained of 'can juice', the diced tomatoes to the mix.
Gradually ramp up heat until a slight boil / simmer. (typically like a 4-5 on the dial of a gas range. if 10 is the max )
Stir thoroughly, apply pot lid, check every 20-30 minutes and stir to avoid scorching beans/etc to bottom of the pot pot.

Will take 4-5 hours to thicken down completely in my experience. It's ready when you can turn a spoon or ladle full upside down and it takes 5-10 seconds to fall off

There, hope that made sense and I didn't forget anything.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:34 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I like this idea and also the thought Tracy5305 mentioned of adding cinnamon. I'll definitely try the cinnamon one sometime. If I have dried cranberries readily available sometime I'll try that too

Old 01-17-2016, 05:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Tracy5305 mentioned adding cinnamon. I'll definitely try the cinnamon one sometime.
I don't think I could consider something flavored with cinnamon to be chili any longer.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
You people are overcomplicating a very simple stew: beef, onions and garlic, chile peppers, tomatoes and beans. Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes