Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You people are overcomplicating a very simple stew: beef, onions and garlic, chile peppers, tomatoes and beans. Good grief.
If you ask a hundred Chefs a recipe for Chili, you'll get 150 answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's good. And even better when I get the meat at Whole Foods. I always use 7% fat, not the 0% fat. I haven't used ground beef for chili in years. Now, when I make it with non-ground meat, I use a beef chuck roast, but I don't always feel like cutting up a chuck roast and browning the pieces.

Either way, I use ground ancho, ground chipotle, cayenne (or sometimes Aleppo pepper), and cumin. I don't like oregano, so I generally skip it.
I'll take your word for it.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:15 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I don't think I could consider something flavored with cinnamon to be chili any longer.
There are quite a few recipes that use it. I don't think a little would ruin it.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:58 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
"Whatever?" really?!?! Some of us don't care for the taste of beef.
blasphemy!!

My chili recipe is very simple and lazy. Like me:

Fry a large onion and a couple pounds of ground beef together in a big pot. Just fry off most of the liquid... don't bother to drain it.

Rinse 3 cans of beans in a colander (I don't like bean-goo). I usually go for one can of pintos, one can of kidneys, and one can of black beans. Dump those in the pot.

Add tomato juice and maybe some beef broth to the desired consistency.

Take out the seeds and chop up four or five big roasted chili peppers. Dump those in (There's a hippy store in town that sells frozen ones. And they're HOT)

Chop up another onion and dump it in the pot (so now we have well-cooked onions and less well cooked onions. They're both delicious in different ways).

Put a packet of Williams Chili seasoning in the pot, and half a cup of brown sugar (yes, brown sugar. I didn't stutter.)

Let the whole thing simmer for an hour or so.

Taste the chili. It should be hot enough to make your eyes water. If it's not, add a little cayenne pepper (I know it's not Mexican, but it tastes good). Then add a bunch of ground red pepper. Taste and repeat until your eyes water.

Sometimes I'll add other stuff. Maybe some black olives, chopped jalapenos, chopped pork roast... whatever tastes good. Next time I'm not going to use hamburger. I just made an enormous batch of brazed beef- including an 'extra' roast that I've shredded and froze. It'll be chili meat pretty soon

Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There are quite a few recipes that use it. I don't think a little would ruin it.
Sure. Put cinnamon in. Before long, you're on that slippery slope to grape jelly, then mini-marshmallows, and soon you're substituting chocolate whipped cream for sour cream.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
There are no rules. Try using just a bit of it in your individual serving to try and see. This way you won't ruin a whole pot in case you don't like it. The same goes for anything else. Sometimes I will add a bit of brown sugar and/or unsweetened cocoa powder.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:27 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
There are no rules. Try using just a bit of it in your individual serving to try and see. This way you won't ruin a whole pot in case you don't like it. The same goes for anything else. Sometimes I will add a bit of brown sugar and/or unsweetened cocoa powder.
Hell yeah. Once I learn how to cook something, I change it up a little every time. It's a great way to improve on things and try new ideas.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,792 times
Leave the Hamburger Helpers where it belongs – back on the grocery store shelf. You can make a much tastier and more wholesome chili mac from scratch, and it’ll take about a half hour to get dinner on the table.

When you make this start to finish, you can include everything you want, like black beans and lean ground beef, and leave out the MSG, artificial colorings, and hydrogenated oils.

Ingredients

4 cans (15 oz. each) great northern white beans, drained and rinsed

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

2 cups diced pumpkin, peeled

2 cloves garlic, diced

1 cup white onion, chopped

1/2 cup roasted chile peppers

2 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. salt

3 cups chicken stock

3 cups shredded pork

1/2 cup half and half

2 cups kale leaves

Old 01-21-2016, 03:24 PM

442 posts, read 496,664 times
Mine is simple:

For the meat one:

Hamburger, browned with an onion, bell pepper, and some garlic, drain most. Or, leftover roast (my favorite way!)

In pot goes hamburger, large bottle of tomato juice, LOTS of chili powder, cumin, and cayenne, 3 cans of kidney beans (drained)

Then a few chopped jalapenos.

Cook all day. Top with sour cream and cheese and serve with buttered saltines!

Veggie is the same except lots of corn and mushrooms and 2 more cans of beans instead of meat.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:08 PM

12 posts, read 17,872 times
Easy Chili

8 ounces ground turkey breast

1 cup chopped onions

1 medium green bell pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1 (16-ounce) can recipe-style stewed tomatoes (with juices)

1 cup salsa

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder

Lightly spray an unheated large saucepan with no-stick spray. Add the turkey, onions, green bell peppers and garlic. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.

Add the beans, tomatoes (with juices), salsa, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes to blend the flavors.

It is delicious food. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes