Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 01:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Okay - what the heck is an offset stick burner? (And please see my question in the general food forum about soupbase.com, Dirt Grinder. )
LOL - it's a BBQ rig with a cooking chamber and an offset fire box fueled by a wood fire. It requires a bit more work than an electric or propane smoker, but the results are well worth the trouble.

Lang Smokers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 02:12 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, I never heard of them until we went to a restaurant which offered either St Louis ribs or baby back ribs.
Fast forward, and Publix had St Louis style ribs on sale and I bought some.

I like them because they are meaty and already separated. I opted to cook them in the oven in a closed casserole with a 1/2" of water for one hour at 325 and another hour at 250. Then I transferred them to a sheet pan and slathered them with Sweet Baby Ray's sweet Hot BBQ sauce at 350 until the sauce was caramelized... about a half hour. They were the best ever.

I don't know if I'm just behind the times, but I never saw these ribs before, and love these ribs. If you are the kind of person who loves standing over a grill, I bet they'd be great that way too, instead of the oven.

the st Louis ribs

connect to the baby back ribs

they are usually a little better value (cheaper) and have a little more meat on the bones

they are growing in popularity in these parts too,,,,you go back ten years, we sold the flat belly ribs,,,,about 4-6lbs, ..these had a flange and flank on them, and sold cheap but it was a big purchase, so the industry cleaned them up and took off the waste,,,and pushed them as st Louis,,

some think st Louis ribs and baby backs are the same..

heres a pic,,you can see where they come from

St Louis ribs-babt-back-ribs.jpg

Old 03-14-2016, 09:07 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I will not buy St. Louis style ribs because they have the "flap" meat attached and I think it just sucks. I also cannot stand 'baby back' ribs.
I only buy large pork ribs, period. Those to cook at home, Chinese ribs if ordering out.

P.S. Oh, also....I do not want any ribs that, *gag*...."fall off the bone"! ....how cliche and horrid!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:13 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
In my area, pork ribs with the flap meat are labeled pork spare ribs. If the flap meat is missing then they are labeled St. Louis spare ribs.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I will not buy St. Louis style ribs because they have the "flap" meat attached and I think it just sucks. I also cannot stand 'baby back' ribs.
I only buy large pork ribs, period. Those to cook at home, Chinese ribs if ordering out.

P.S. Oh, also....I do not want any ribs that, *gag*...."fall off the bone"! ....how cliche and horrid!
FYI: The large ribs you describe and Chinese ribs ARE trimmed spare ribs.

Here are the cuts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_ribs

Old 03-14-2016, 01:47 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
In my area, pork ribs with the flap meat are labeled pork spare ribs. If the flap meat is missing then they are labeled St. Louis spare ribs.
St Louis may have the "flap" removed or not. I'd rather have the flaps available, because I cut the flaps off, put them on a metal skewer, and use them to satisfy the onlookers.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
St Louis may have the "flap" removed or not. I'd rather have the flaps available, because I cut the flaps off, put them on a metal skewer, and use them to satisfy the onlookers.
Yes, that sounds right. I believe any rack with the tips cut off are considered St. Louis style. I also believe that the flaps and tips are what make up boneless spareribs that are so popular in the Chinese take-out joints. The flaps are good if they are left on slow-smoked St. Louis ribs or removed, marinated and quickly grilled, otherwise I find them tough.

Last edited by ralphfr; 03-16-2016 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 03:47 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, I never heard of them until we went to a restaurant which offered either St Louis ribs or baby back ribs.
Fast forward, and Publix had St Louis style ribs on sale and I bought some.

I like them because they are meaty and already separated. I opted to cook them in the oven in a closed casserole with a 1/2" of water for one hour at 325 and another hour at 250. Then I transferred them to a sheet pan and slathered them with Sweet Baby Ray's sweet Hot BBQ sauce at 350 until the sauce was caramelized... about a half hour. They were the best ever.

I don't know if I'm just behind the times, but I never saw these ribs before, and love these ribs. If you are the kind of person who loves standing over a grill, I bet they'd be great that way too, instead of the oven.
here's a couple more pics

one is the baby back rib and the other pick is sometimes called fresh belly ribs, 4down ribs
and cutting off the sternum/cartilage you get the st louis

St Louis ribs-st-louis2222.jpg

St Louis ribs-babyback22.jpg

Old 03-20-2016, 07:50 AM

Excellent pics mainebrokerman. I learned some new info from them. Thank you for posting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes