Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 10:58 AM

802 posts, read 642,142 times

Advertisements

New immersion blender should be here any day. I've never used one before. So excited.
Please share your favorite cream soup recipes. (And any other recipes that utilize my new kitchen gadget!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 11:45 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
This is our favorite ..
Creamed Vegetable soup:

1 whole celery bunch
6 large carrots
6 large potatoes
2 large onions
salt and black pepper
Worcester sauce or Maggi
Olive oil
2 large bay leafs
Water to cover all vegetable

In a large pot put olive oil and brown diced onions til golden brown.
Add chopped celery,potatoes and carrots and mix well frying for 10 min,stirring occasionally.
Cover with water and cook til vegetable is very soft.Use your immersion blender til smooth.Flavor with salt,pepper,Maggi or Worcester sauce and simmer for 15 more minutes. Serve and add either a heaped tsp. of yogurt or sour creme and sprinkle with green diced spring onions or cut chive for decoration.

I also use the hand blender for any lentil soups,cauliflower and broccoli soup.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:47 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Cream of Mushroom. However, I don't use an immersion blender for that one.
There are countless tomato soup recipes that benefit from an immersion blender.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
It's not mine, but I like this copycat La Madeleine Tomato Basil Soup.

Copycat vs. Real Deal: La Madeleine Tomato Basil Soup | Houston Press#!

Old 03-01-2016, 11:03 AM

811 posts, read 1,146,098 times
Butternut Squash Soup:

Sweat 2 chopped onions in a T butter and T olive oil. Throw in diced butternut squash (one whole squash's worth) and 3 C broth (low sod chicken or vegetable). Simmer until squash is nice and tender (20ish min.- covered) and take your new blender to the mix, adding more broth as needed to reach the right, sou- consistency. Sprinkle in some cayenne pepper, black pepper, and nutmeg (about 1/8tsp ea., but to your tastes). Add salt if needed. If using vegetable stock, add a T or 2 of miso paste instead of salt at the end. That miso... I'm telling you, it makes a vegetarian soup into a really special, umami-filled dish. When serving, I sprinkle a few croutons, toasted pepitas (or squash seeds that I saved from the butternut and toasted), and a dash each of nutmeg, cayenne, and black pepper on top. Definitely a favorite for us and dinner guests, alike. And it's super quick and easy!

Asparagus + Leek Soup:

Sweat 1 onion, 1 leek, and a celery stalk (all chopped) in 2T olive oil and/or butter until they're really soft and melted down. Chop off the woody ends (toss) and tips (save) of about a lb of asparagus. Chop the stalks and add them to the soup pot with 4c low-sod chicken stock. Same as the squash soup, cover and simmer until they're soft, about 20min. Take your immersion blender to the mix, adjust with more broth if needed and add salt and pepper to taste. At this point, sometimes I'll throw the tips in the soup to cook for just a few minutes before serving, but sometimes I'll broil the tips with olive oil, s+p for a nice char and layer of texture, then put them on top when serving.

Cauliflower Puree (a great foil for mashed potatoes!):

Chop up a head of cauliflower and steam it in a pot with about 1/2c chicken stock (could use water too) until really tender. Drain out, but reserve, the chicken stock. Add a few T broth back to the pot along with a T milk and a few T butter. Take your immersion blender to the mix. Season with s + p to taste. You can treat this the same you would mashed potatoes. Sometimes I add fresh herbs and/or cheeses like parmesan or asiago.

There are so many things you can do with an immersion blender! I use mine ALL of the time! Those recipes are just a few of my regular go-to's, and about all I have time to type out today. Enjoy your new toy!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:53 AM

802 posts, read 642,142 times
Thank you all!

Old 03-02-2016, 10:21 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
I cook a bag of frozen peas, a small onion, salt, and (optional, pre-sauteed in butter) curry powder, and stock or water in a 3 quart saucepan. When it's all soft, I puree it. I don't have a stick blender, so I've always drained the solids and run them through the Cuisinart, adding back as much of the cooking liquid as needed. I finish it with either heavy cream or yogurt. You can chop mint and add it at the end, if you like. Taste for salt (it's kind of bland without enough salt).

Old 03-02-2016, 11:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
I like this one
Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
I like to get a good mix of root vegetables, mirepoix, squash, tomato, garlic, thyme (or a nice sachet with your choice of aromatics) toss in olive oil, tomato paste and roast until nice and toasty. Add roasted veg to soup pot, add stock of choice to about half way up, bring to simmer, start to puree with immersion blender, lower heat, add heavy cream to desired consistency and finish with a sharp grated cheddar. Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche or a drizzle of infused olive oil.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:25 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I've been thinking about making mine lately - cream of potato soup. There's no recipe. It's just an old, Depression, fill-you-up soup. I suppose you could just call it creamed potatoes only I make it a little thinner.

Peel and dice potatoes rather small and cook until done but firm. Saute a lot of diced onions in butter. Don't brown. Add flour and them whole milk to make a white sauce. Salt and pepper. I like to use cracked black pepper to add a little visual appeal otherwise you'd go snowblind while eating it.

Pour the onion white sauce over the potatoes and let sit overnight in the refrigerator to let the flavors blend.

Comfort food!

Someone just gave us a quart of potato soup and it was totally pureed. Meh for me. I like to have the little pieces of the potatoes in it.

My daughter makes a mean curried cream of coconut, black bean and rice soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes