Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times

Advertisements

I was doing the low carb thing and made stuffed peppers without rice a bunch of times. Nobody missed it. A couple of times I added some grated cauliflower, and it really took on a ricey quality, and nobody knew that it wasn't rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Haven't made them yet, wife & kids didn't get home till late and will be busy tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

Problem w/orzo is that it's 30 miles away. I'm still think'n bout what to add, if anything at all.

Small bits of potatoes?(smoked till 1/2 done, then added)

I don't know, but sounds to me that a stuffed pepper is only limited by imagination.
I agree---let your imagination go wild on this one. I can't imagine anyway to really screw up a stuffed bell pepper. I liked the sound of the potatoes. Diced up small--why not? As another poster mentioned, it sounds like hash! Yum!!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
I like the Mexican version of the stuffed pepper, "The chile relleno" ! I know one thing, if I ate stuffed peppers where the rice was substituted for shredded cauliflower I would tell the difference right away. I like the rice version just like mom made but we usually snaz it up a bit with more spices. One version we tried was to alternate stuffed bell peppers with stuffed tomatoes in the casserole dish, we also used a bit of saffron in the rice.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
I usually cut the peppers in 1/2 and overstuff each one, because so many people tend to leave pepper over. The remaining pepper (the top halves) I dice and freeze, to use in other recipes. I also add jumbo meatballs... just the stuffed pepper filling with no pepper at all, to the same pot. They pick up the flavor but have no pepper. When I serve, I start with one overstuffed 1/2 pepper plus one jumbo meatball per person.

That doesn't help you with the rice; everyone here eats rice, so that is a non-issue for us.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I like the Mexican version of the stuffed pepper, "The chile relleno" !
These I had for the first time many decades ago and loved them. The pepper is not a bell and the flavor to me was very good. Thanks for the reminder. Now to dig up some authentic chile relleno recipes. hint hint.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
How about using couscous? It's basically hard pasta smashed into tiny bits anyway....

I googled 'couscous stuffed peppers' and a ton of recipes came up...such as

Couscous Stuffed Peppers Recipe | Recipezaar

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/s...pe2/index.html

http://whatrecipe.blogspot.com/2008/...-couscous.html

Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
I do my chile rellenos like this;
Cut the stem ends off of canned whole pickled jalapenos, core out the seeds and webbing with a small pairing knife, a curved tip one works great. Next stuff a hunk of jack cheese into it, then roll in tempura batter with a bit of egg mixed in. You can also leave out the egg and it wont be missed. Now fry them in a pan with olive oil until golden brown. Cover the rellenos with chunky mild sauce, either home made or the jar type. Side the plate with rice and beans. Now sprinkle grated cheddar and just a little bit of grated cotilla cheese on top and stick the plate in a 350 degree oven for just enough time to melt the cheddar cheese. (The cotilla wont melt well), about one minute or so. After it comes out of the oven garnish with a radish and a sprig of cilantro. These are very hot and spicy just the way I like them. Now that your mouth is on fire wash it all down with two six packs of Mexican beer !

Old 08-08-2008, 05:47 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I do my chile rellenos like this;
Cut the stem ends off of canned whole pickled jalapenos, core out the seeds and webbing with a small pairing knife, a curved tip one works great. Next stuff a hunk of jack cheese into it, then roll in tempura batter with a bit of egg mixed in. You can also leave out the egg and it wont be missed. Now fry them in a pan with olive oil until golden brown. Cover the rellenos with chunky mild sauce, either home made or the jar type. Side the plate with rice and beans. Now sprinkle grated cheddar and just a little bit of grated cotilla cheese on top and stick the plate in a 350 degree oven for just enough time to melt the cheddar cheese. (The cotilla wont melt well), about one minute or so. After it comes out of the oven garnish with a radish and a sprig of cilantro. These are very hot and spicy just the way I like them. Now that your mouth is on fire wash it all down with two six packs of Mexican beer !
Sounds somewhat similar to an ABT(atomic buffalo turd ) I take fresh jalapenos, cut off stem/top, core out seeds w/some spoon wife has(very small{tsp} w/jagged edges). The filling we like is pork sausage and pepper jack cheese, then plug the top w/lil smokeys or some other link(but not hot dogs!). Wrap in bacon and smoke till bacon is done. Alot of work but they are good. Some will be hot, some won't.....I don't know why.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:50 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Sounds somewhat similar to an ABT(atomic buffalo turd ) I take fresh jalapenos, cut off stem/top, core out seeds w/some spoon wife has(very small{tsp} w/jagged edges). The filling we like is pork sausage and pepper jack cheese, then plug the top w/lil smokeys or some other link(but not hot dogs!). Wrap in bacon and smoke till bacon is done. Alot of work but they are good. Some will be hot, some won't.....I don't know why.
I had always heard those called amadillo eggs? Quite yummy.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I had always heard those called amadillo eggs? Quite yummy.
I could be wrong, or got these backwards. Armadillo eggs, what I thought anyway, had a slice of jalapeno and pepper jack cheese inside a pork sausage "meatball" then wrapped in bacon. Kinda inside out of the abt. What ever they are call, they are good snacks for the one running the smoker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes