Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

OK, I tasted the most amazing tea cakes from a local bakery yesterday. They were about 3 inches across, they were thickish, soft, and they didn't seem to be cut into rounds - they seemed to be dropped instead of rolled out and cut.

They were not overly sweet, they had no icing or dusting of anything, and they had a very slight hint of cinnamon in them. Subtle but absolutely DELICIOUS. Though they were soft, they were not heavy - they had a light texture.

Anyone have a recipe for tea cakes that turn out like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:55 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, I tasted the most amazing tea cakes from a local bakery yesterday. They were about 3 inches across, they were thickish, soft, and they didn't seem to be cut into rounds - they seemed to be dropped instead of rolled out and cut.

They were not overly sweet, they had no icing or dusting of anything, and they had a very slight hint of cinnamon in them. Subtle but absolutely DELICIOUS. Though they were soft, they were not heavy - they had a light texture.

Anyone have a recipe for tea cakes that turn out like this?
My first impulse would be to ask the baker for the recipe. I once asked a bakery owner how he made a particular cupcake, and he invited me to come into the kitchen and watch him make some.

Last edited by jay5835; 04-20-2016 at 09:05 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
My first impulse would be to ask the baker for the recipe. I once asked a bakery owner how he made a particular cupcake, and he invited me to come into the kitchen and watch him make some.
Thanks, I thought of this but I don't know who the baker is or which bakery. Let me explain - I was at a watch repair shop and they had a big box of these tea cakes that were fresh and had been delivered that morning, as a thank you gift to the owner for fixing a family heirloom. He didn't give me the name of the baker or customer - just said he owned a bakery in town and that this was also a family heirloom recipe.

I guess I could call or go by and ask which bakery but I was just hoping someone here might have a similar recipe.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:06 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Kinda difficult to guess at a recipe without seeing or tasting the tea cakes. Hey, I ate something tasty, share your recipe!

Seriously, you need to give more information. For all I know, you are describing Entenmann's bakery cakes. they make one like that.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Kinda difficult to guess at a recipe without seeing or tasting the tea cakes. Hey, I ate something tasty, share your recipe!

Seriously, you need to give more information. For all I know, you are describing Entenmann's bakery cakes. they make one like that.
Call me crazy, but I thought this was a pretty thorough description:

Quote:
They were about 3 inches across, they were thickish, soft, and they didn't seem to be cut into rounds - they seemed to be dropped instead of rolled out and cut.

As you can see, that's a bit more of a description than
Quote:
Hey, I ate something tasty, share your recipe!

What they aren't - based on my above description only:

They are not crisp
They are not rolled and cut
They are not iced
They are not overly sweet
They aren't nutty or chocolatey or oaty or grainy
They are not heavy

That's all I can tell you other than to reiterate that they were very good! I was hoping that giving a pretty thorough description of the tea cakes would possibly ring a bell with someone on the forum who might have a tea cake recipe to share.

But I can deduce from your comments that you don't have a tea cake recipe whose results fit that description or I would hope you would share it. Thanks anyway!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:07 AM

A quick scroll down the recipe forum will show you that many people come here looking for a specific sort of recipe, so I figured I'd try my luck as well.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:24 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Hi Kathryn!! I was interested in your "find" as it sounded delicious to me as well.....If it's a local bakery I guess you could start calling around and see if you could find them yourself and try and get the recipe from them (doubtful). I always associated tea cake with actual cake - but now I find out they are actually "cookies"...duh...

Anyway, I found something for you to check out - and I'm attaching a link for you to see. It seems to meet all of your criteria EXCEPT for the cinnamon - which you could easily add about 1/2 tsp. or so if you wish. It shows a picture of the finished product. Good Luck!!!!

Here's the link: Southern Tea Cakes | Love Bakes Good Cakes

Old 04-20-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Hi Kathryn!! I was interested in your "find" as it sounded delicious to me as well.....If it's a local bakery I guess you could start calling around and see if you could find them yourself and try and get the recipe from them (doubtful). I always associated tea cake with actual cake - but now I find out they are actually "cookies"...duh...

Anyway, I found something for you to check out - and I'm attaching a link for you to see. It seems to meet all of your criteria EXCEPT for the cinnamon - which you could easily add about 1/2 tsp. or so if you wish. It shows a picture of the finished product. Good Luck!!!!

Here's the link: Southern Tea Cakes | Love Bakes Good Cakes
Just made these and they are FABULOUS. The only change I made in the recipe was that I added almond extract (about a teaspoon of it). From what I've read about tea cakes you can add cinnamon, allspice, almond extract, vanilla - you name it - to the batter. But the trick is that any flavor you add should be subtle.

I think I may post a picture when I get the second tray out of the oven. Just scarfed one down and it was very close to the ones from yesterday's mystery bakery.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Yay.....who knew??? If you need my address to mail my sample to let me know.....

Up here where we live now (N. Illinois) there's quite a bit more food with different nationalities associated with them that I had never heard of or tried before. Particularly, there's a restaurant that serves a lot of Norwegian/Swedish specialties which some are very interesting and some not so much. They use cardamon which I had never tried before - in some cinnamon roll type biscuits they serve with a savory meal that I find just delicious. Not a fancy thing - but just delicious. Made me think of your tea cake idea. Something so simple and easy, yet hard to figure out just exactly how to replicate it at home.

Glad you're happy with it!!!!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I LOVE these Tennessee Tea Cakes...

Tennessee Tea Cake recipe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes