Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,369 times

Advertisements

I can name two now. One is chili and the other is chow mein. But I am a neewbie when it comes to cooking. I am looking for 3 more recipes so I can have 5 that I can cook and are tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 11:24 AM

5,336 posts, read 3,212,693 times
One that I just threw together one day, but has now become a weekly meal...

1/4 - 1/2 chopped onion
Garlic
Olive Oil
Butter
Package of baby spinach
Bowties
1 lb shrimp (I sprinkle Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning on them)

Boil the water and start cooking the bowties

While that's happening, saute the onion in butter and olive oil.
Once the onion is translucent add the garlic
Add the Shrimp, cook until it is done
Add the spinach to just before fully cooked
Add cooked pasta, stir everything together

At this point I'll add butter/olive oil and some more Chachere's seasoning to taste.

Sprinkle Parmesan on the finished product.

Two pots, simple meal.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I can name two now. One is chili and the other is chow mein. But I am a neewbie when it comes to cooking. I am looking for 3 more recipes so I can have 5 that I can cook and are tasty.
Are you looking for easy recipes which use some store bought items, or are you looking for some scratch type recipes to build your cooking skills? If you're looking for easy/store bought items recipes, one that comes to mind is Mandi Forester's White Chicken Chili. It's dump and stir. You can find the recipe on Rachel Ray's site.

If you're interested in a one skillet chicken/spinach/penne recipe, I'll see if I can find it. It has a creamy fire roasted tomato sauce that's just wonderful.

I make a short cut type of chow mein/low mein? using the Taylor Farms Asian Chopped Salad. It has savoy cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, celery, green onions, cilantro, and you get a little bag of wonton noodles and a little bag of toasted almonds. It comes with a bag of sesame ginger dressing, which you can use to flavor the noodles, or you can use whatever sauce you usually use. It's just so easy. I buy a bag every time I go to Sam's Club.

I marinate the chicken in sherry before stir frying. I also like my vegetables to still be crisp, so I add them in after I remove the pan from the heat.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Are you looking for easy recipes which use some store bought items, or are you looking for some scratch type recipes to build your cooking skills? If you're looking for easy/store bought items recipes, one that comes to mind is Mandi Forester's White Chicken Chili. It's dump and stir. You can find the recipe on Rachel Ray's site.

If you're interested in a one skillet chicken/spinach/penne recipe, I'll see if I can find it. It has a creamy fire roasted tomato sauce that's just wonderful.

I make a short cut type of chow mein/low mein? using the Taylor Farms Asian Chopped Salad. It has savoy cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, celery, green onions, cilantro, and you get a little bag of wonton noodles and a little bag of toasted almonds. It comes with a bag of sesame ginger dressing, which you can use to flavor the noodles, or you can use whatever sauce you usually use. It's just so easy. I buy a bag every time I go to Sam's Club.

I marinate the chicken in sherry before stir frying. I also like my vegetables to still be crisp, so I add them in after I remove the pan from the heat.
I was pretty much wondering the same thing: OP, do you actually want recipes or just want to know what recipes we use for our favorite foods. blue cheese dressing is at the top of my list, followed by a good mornay sauce and my favorite chicken dish. In fact I have 2 favorites. I also love making braised pork.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:39 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
I, too am unsure as to what you're looking for. Do you want quick things to throw together, something more prep intensive, something for a crockpot, something for the oven, what types of ingredients are you looking for? It's too hard to narrow down what to tell you when we don't know what you want.

Personally, I think one of the things you should learn to perfect is just a plain roasted chicken. It is not expensive, it is not labor intensive, it gives you plenty of options for a nice dinner AND for leftovers that can be used in a myriad of ways, and provides a good base if you want to learn soups (you can make chicken stock with he carcass). Unfortunately, I don't have a tried and true recipe as I don't like chicken but I'm sure a lot of other people do. I just make mine (when I do) based on the recipe from my Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I, too am unsure as to what you're looking for. Do you want quick things to throw together, something more prep intensive, something for a crockpot, something for the oven, what types of ingredients are you looking for? It's too hard to narrow down what to tell you when we don't know what you want.

Personally, I think one of the things you should learn to perfect is just a plain roasted chicken. It is not expensive, it is not labor intensive, it gives you plenty of options for a nice dinner AND for leftovers that can be used in a myriad of ways, and provides a good base if you want to learn soups (you can make chicken stock with he carcass). Unfortunately, I don't have a tried and true recipe as I don't like chicken but I'm sure a lot of other people do. I just make mine (when I do) based on the recipe from my Betty Crocker Cookbook.
Chicken is the stand by entrée for almost everyone. There are so many ways to make a good meal out of a chicken. You are probably only the second person I have known that doesn't like chicken. We had a good friend in CA and their daughter could not stand chicken. It is good you realize the variety of things that can be made using chicken. Another great dish is a good chuck roast. Again, easy and most people like it or love it.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:00 PM

497 posts, read 387,633 times
I have more than 5 favorites, but since you only requested 5, I guess I'll just be posting these...

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ese-torte.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...dumplings.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...egg-rolls.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ice-bacon.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...nions-2-a.html

Old 08-04-2016, 08:41 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post

Roast chicken is a great suggestion.

I'm curious Missy, do you dislike chicken to the point you don't even eat any of it when you cook it?

I like chicken, but beef is king.

I'm not sure about five best recipes, but my spaghetti sauce, and my beef and mushroom stew with French bread are favorite meals.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:26 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Chicken is the stand by entrée for almost everyone. There are so many ways to make a good meal out of a chicken. You are probably only the second person I have known that doesn't like chicken. We had a good friend in CA and their daughter could not stand chicken. It is good you realize the variety of things that can be made using chicken. Another great dish is a good chuck roast. Again, easy and most people like it or love it.
Mmmm. A nice piece of chuck can go a long way: pot roast, stew, soup, hot open faced sandwich with gravy. That is truly a comfort food.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:38 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Favorite recipes are dependent on the ingredients available. Cooking is all about taking advantage of readily-available ingredients and making dishes that will please those for whom you are cooking. A peach cobbler made with canned peaches or unripe peaches from Chile just doesn't compare to a cobbler made from local ripe peaches.

Cooking is a constant learning process, and we should always seek to broaden our repertoire. Limiting yourself to five "favorite" recipes means you aren't willing to adapt and improvise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes