Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2016, 10:47 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,699,255 times

Advertisements

This is in Coastal Living mag and they say it's from Joe's Stone Crabs in Florida. I'm not partial to stone crabs (our local Dungeness is much better) but I'm thinking of trying this dip with shrimp.

JOE'S STONE CRABS DIPPING SAUCE

Whip together:

1 cup mayo
4 T half and half
4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp A-1 sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 01:12 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,534,688 times
Thanks Eureka, I think I'll use it for shrimp too

Old 11-16-2016, 03:23 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,858,950 times
I like this. I used to put a little bit of cognac or brandy in it.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:53 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,699,255 times
That sounds good. I made it last night but fudged the recipe- subbed milk for the half half. I didn't like the first bite or two but it grows on you quickly.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:11 PM

50,175 posts, read 63,623,198 times
This would be perfect for a baked seafood dish also. I have been trying to perfect a baked/broiled dish for scallops. I have yet to perfect it, but it is mayo, with wine, tarragon and Parmesan. I still don't think this recipe is it, but it may give me some clues to try.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:26 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,858,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This would be perfect for a baked seafood dish also. I have been trying to perfect a baked/broiled dish for scallops. I have yet to perfect it, but it is mayo, with wine, tarragon and Parmesan. I still don't think this recipe is it, but it may give me some clues to try.
Are you utterly against pan frying scallops? That's my favorite way to cook them. You put oil in the pan when it's hot enough (when water bubbles up like mercury), sear the scallops on top and bottom until they're cooked through, remove them to a hot platter, then make a quick pan sauce with the wine, the tarragon, and some cream. Next, put the scallops back in the pan, dust with parmigiano and put that under the broiler for a minute or two. Then you're done.

I would not use mayonnaise, btw.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:33 PM

50,175 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Are you utterly against pan frying scallops? That's my favorite way to cook them. You put oil in the pan when it's hot enough (when water bubbles up like mercury), sear the scallops on top and bottom until they're cooked through, remove them to a hot platter, then make a quick pan sauce with the wine, the tarragon, and some cream. Next, put the scallops back in the pan, dust with parmigiano and put that under the broiler for a minute or two. Then you're done.

I would not use mayonnaise, btw.
No, this sounds great. I like the idea of individual ramekins, and the ease of making it for a company dish, without me standing at the stove. In my efforts, the scallops turn out fine, but there is too much liquid. I will try your suggestion next time, because it makes a lot of sense.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:24 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,183,056 times
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
This is in Coastal Living mag and they say it's from Joe's Stone Crabs in Florida. I'm not partial to stone crabs (our local Dungeness is much better) but I'm thinking of trying this dip with shrimp.

JOE'S STONE CRABS DIPPING SAUCE

Whip together:

1 cup mayo
4 T half and half
4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp A-1 sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes