Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:56 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,467,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Thank you, MS. I appreciate the link! Have you used the recipes from the link?

I love old fashioned type recipes!
Ugh! Not yet. I forgot about that recipe. I need to get my butt in gear and just do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 04:12 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Check the website for A Taste of History. The host is the head chef at City Tavern, in Philadelphia, which was rebuilt for the Bicentennial. He has several cookbooks. He also makes frequent mention of the Hannah Glass cookbook.

You want old, he'll give you old.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:30 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
For the past two years we've used Crosse and Blackwell but it's too sweet. It's not what I remember mince pie tasting like. I used to have an old New England recipe for home made mince meat but I threw it away, thinking I would just buy it. Can't buy it anymore. Too sweet, sickening.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:03 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Check the website for A Taste of History. The host is the head chef at City Tavern, in Philadelphia, which was rebuilt for the Bicentennial. He has several cookbooks. He also makes frequent mention of the Hannah Glass cookbook.

You want old, he'll give you old.

Thanks so much! Yes, I want "old", old fashioned & traditional style type places, recipes, etc.
I will check out the website & try to visit the Tavern as well.

Although, I wonder if I have been to the Tavern already, because I visited & ate at a restaurant that had pewter dishes & everything was from colonial times. It was very good
I also stayed in an old fashioned type place in Philadelphia, and had one of the best meals as well as one of the best Boston cream pies. I wonder if it is the same place I visited, it was a couple of years ago.....

Anyway, I appreciate the tip! I guess I will have to go back to Philly! I really enjoyed my stay there.
I love old architecture, historic buildings, etc.

And everything I ate there was delicious. REPS for ya!

Old 01-05-2019, 07:33 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
My grandma used pork neckbones, since she grew up in SE Missouri which is part of the upper south. The day after she died, I learned from a friend of hers that grandma had “a hankerin’ for some mincemeat pie,†just before she passed. She told me to check in the fridge and I’d find the neckbones, and I did. I decided to make a mincemeat pie just like she used to make, as best as I could guess. You have to boil them a couple of hours and then very carefully pick the tiny pieces of meat out of all those holes and crevices. I think I used half meat and half raisins and at least half a stick of butter. All of the usual spices of course and I used sorghum for sweetening because that is a local product and goes well with the flavors of raisin and fatty pork. Mincemeat doesn’t need much sugar though.

So all that baking kept me sane because grandma was my favorite relative besides my kids and I had this giant pie on the counter when I came up with the bright idea of sharing some of it with her. I bagged up a slice and took it to the funeral and tucked it into the casket with her and I know I saw her smile.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:37 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I’ve had another thought about mincemeat and that is if you’re into canning, it would be a great survival food since it’s very similar to pemmican and has all your food groups.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much! Yes, I want "old", old fashioned & traditional style type places, recipes, etc.
I will check out the website & try to visit the Tavern as well.

Although, I wonder if I have been to the Tavern already, because I visited & ate at a restaurant that had pewter dishes & everything was from colonial times. It was very good
I also stayed in an old fashioned type place in Philadelphia, and had one of the best meals as well as one of the best Boston cream pies. I wonder if it is the same place I visited, it was a couple of years ago.....

Anyway, I appreciate the tip! I guess I will have to go back to Philly! I really enjoyed my stay there.
I love old architecture, historic buildings, etc.

And everything I ate there was delicious. REPS for ya!
You're welcome. It sounds like you went to City Tavern.

A Taste of History is mostly colonial and, I think, federal period food. Walter Staib is an older German man. Some of the recipes are done indoors over fireplaces and in beehive ovens. Some are done outdoors over fires. It's primarily English and Caribbean food, as Philadelphia was a major port for shipping from both locations.

I suspect that the books would include modern cooking instructions.

If you have any problem finding the website it should be linked to the PBS website.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:53 PM

I just thought of something. If by some chance you can't find a recipe for mincemeat from Walter Staib, google William Woys Weaver. He writes books of old recipes. He might have something for you.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:47 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Thumbs up Thank you for all of the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I just thought of something. If by some chance you can't find a recipe for mincemeat from Walter Staib, google William Woys Weaver. He writes books of old recipes. He might have something for you.

Good luck!
Thanks so much, Southbound! I will check it out I appreciate all of the tips!

And I have a feeling, from looking at the pictures, that I have visited the Tavern you mentioned. I remember saying at the time that I wanted to buy the same pewter dishes, etc. The food was very tasty as well!

REPS for ya!

Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much, Southbound! I will check it out I appreciate all of the tips!

And I have a feeling, from looking at the pictures, that I have visited the Tavern you mentioned. I remember saying at the time that I wanted to buy the same pewter dishes, etc. The food was very tasty as well!

REPS for ya!
You're welcome. I remembered reading about Mr. Weaver's 1st book, which was a compendium of very old Quaker recipes. I know he's written books since then. I'm pretty sure that the Hannah Glasse cookbook is also available. If I remember correctly, she wrote the first English language cookbook in the 1700s. It's referenced frequently in episodes of A Taste of History.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes