Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,774,092 times

Advertisements

What I mean is 'flat' when it comes to taste. What do you think that I should add and what did I not add that left it so tasteless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:08 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
What did you put in it?

Old 12-20-2016, 01:21 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
The broth is the component that makes a great chicken soup, that's why I spend one day making chicken stock with chicken bones, skin, feet, carrots, celery, onions. Then I strain the stock and put it in the fridge. The next day I remove the fat, add more veggies, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, and chicken.

A "flat" chicken soup usually needs some salt and definitely lacks the silkiness that rendered collagen provides.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Blazee. Like, it was on fire?

Old 12-20-2016, 02:16 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
My sister said her turkey soup came out bland this year too. She made it in the usual way, but my theory is that the older we get, the smaller sized birds we get, and there isn't enough of it to make good broth.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:18 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,570 times
Probably needs salt, celery salt, a bit of garlic, and one of the main things I've noticed when making soup from a leftover rotisserie chicken is the flavour from a nicely browned skin.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:28 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
This is your friendly local English major and hobby cook here to say, "blasé." It's a word generally used for people's attitudes.

You may call your soup "bland."

Old 12-20-2016, 02:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
...one of the main things I've noticed when making soup from a leftover rotisserie chicken is the flavour from a nicely browned skin.
...and the herbs and spices used to flavor the rotisserie chicken.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:28 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times
I agree, let us know how you made it, what type of chicken meat you used, what your prep process was and what exactly you put in it, what type of stock as well as what seasonings you used. It is much too difficult to tell you why it was not good without knowing that information.

Everyone's chicken soup is made different and there are a gazillion possible ways to make it. I know I change mine up every single time I make it. Some things are the basics every batch but I sometimes will change it up and add different veggies and/or seasonings, etc.

But I have never had a bad or blase chicken soup. Are you tasting as you go along? That is important and where you want to make your adjustments with seasonings, etc. But you can still make adjustments at this point after it is done by adding more or different seasonings.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,298,441 times
OK, I understand the real way to make chicken soup. My grandmother, in the '70s, lamented the dearth of "stewing hens." Can't make a good chicken soup without one, according to Granny.
DirtGrinder hit on this in explaining that the stock is everything.
That said, here's a few shortcuts to make chicken soup ala 2017:
Yes, flavor whatever chicken you cook. I can't stomach dark meat ("where all the flavor is") so I sauté/braise boneless chicken breasts with a lot of onion slices & a few chopped garlic cloves in olive oil (lots). Yes, season it greatly. Salt & pepper, then salt & pepper (ya can even just dose it with Chef Paul Poultry Seasoning). Shred the chicken. Add all including every spatula scrapping into your base pot.
Nah, I don't make stock (not in 2017) but I do use broth -- you pick your fav (cause a good packaged chicken broth is a great ingredient to own). Pour it in.
Only other ingredients are carrots & celery. Add these to the chicken in its own broth & cook until half done (yeah, I know, that's not a measure of time but a condition of being in the cooking process). Then you can add rice. Not noodles for me.[ BUT rice will absorb. So don't add a lot.
Granny used to make a separate, well seasoned, pot of rice and add as we asked/desired.
Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes