Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:28 PM

375 posts, read 296,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
chicken sliced in thin strips
rice
onion
green bell pepper
carrot
green beans garlic salt
soy sauce
Well, since you have the soy sauce in their this dish is going to have an Asian, or perhaps, more accuratelt, a Chinese sort of flavor to it.

Hence, I would suggest perhaps some thinly sliced ginger root. This is usually that ubiquitous flavor we discern whenever we eat something "Chinese."

A few years ago me and Mrs. LAX bought a wok, as we are both huge Asian food fans. So we at first tried a couple recipes very similar to the ingredients you posted. But for some reason--at the time--we both agrreed our initial dishes lacked that "certain Chinese something."

Then when I related this info to a friend who is an accomplished Asian chef, he recommended the Ginger root.

Viola! (Hmm...I wonder what the Mandarin equivalent word for that is? LOL). It worked. Now ginger root is almost always an ingredient in our wok dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 02:12 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
...Viola! (Hmm...I wonder what the Mandarin equivalent word for that is? LOL)...
This is the food forum, so I'm not sure why you would mention a musical instrument. However, the Mandarin word for a Viola is 中提琴.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:30 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Make a sauce out of garlic, ginger, soy, chili-garlic sauce, rice wine vinegar, a little sugar and cornstach. Stir-fry the vegetables and chicken, then add the sauce at the end for a few minutes until it thickens.
would you indicate what quantities of each please.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:31 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Well, since you have the soy sauce in their this dish is going to have an Asian, or perhaps, more accuratelt, a Chinese sort of flavor to it.

Hence, I would suggest perhaps some thinly sliced ginger root. This is usually that ubiquitous flavor we discern whenever we eat something "Chinese."

A few years ago me and Mrs. LAX bought a wok, as we are both huge Asian food fans. So we at first tried a couple recipes very similar to the ingredients you posted. But for some reason--at the time--we both agrreed our initial dishes lacked that "certain Chinese something."

Then when I related this info to a friend who is an accomplished Asian chef, he recommended the Ginger root.

Viola! (Hmm...I wonder what the Mandarin equivalent word for that is? LOL). It worked. Now ginger root is almost always an ingredient in our wok dishes.
Would you ever use Ginger powder in a pinch for the root?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:04 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Would you ever use Ginger powder in a pinch for the root?
In my experience this has been a very poor substitute. It seems to lack the sharpness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes