U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:50 PM

20,544 posts, read 27,464,604 times

Advertisements

I usually use my crockpot but would like to convert some recipes so I can use my pressure cooker. I have a stovetop Presto 6 qt. aluminum pressure cooker.

I made sausage and peppers in it last week and it worked well even though I worried about scorching the sauce.

First recipe I would like to make is pork chops and gravy. In a crockpot I add onions, then the browned chops and pour gravy on top.

So with the pressure cooker do I use the rack or not? If not can I put the gravy in or should I use water? How do I layer...if I can?

Second Recipe Salsa Chicken. In a crockpot I layered peppers and onions, boneless chicken breasts, then add some seasonings and pour a jar of salsa on top. I add canned black beans later.
How would I make that in my pressure cooker.

Any help would be appreciated and if no one knows I will know by Monday
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 04:40 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,855,346 times
There was an article in my newspaper about converting recipes - I started a thread recently with a link to it. You can try searching for that post (sort advanced and threads started by me). I'm on a phone or I would.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
There was an article in my newspaper about converting recipes - I started a thread recently with a link to it. You can try searching for that post (sort advanced and threads started by me). I'm on a phone or I would.

TY....I found it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.316b49f4b8b0

It has some good info and since my pressure cooker cooks faster and at a higher PSI it will cook faster. I'm still not sure if I can cook things in sauce or gravy. I think I need to stick with water/broth.

I made the pork tonight with water and it all evaporated.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,855,346 times
I've never seen one and mom and grandparents never did either, so I have a little less than nothing to recommend. I know some other posters here do though - hopefully they will chime in!!

Old 02-26-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post

BTW, the rice pudding recipe from your link looked really good

Old 02-26-2017, 04:41 AM

1,368 posts, read 807,523 times
Your recipes look like they would cook very quickly in the PC, like 15 minutes. If your PC has a heavy bottom you should be okay, but if you are concerned about burning/scorching you could add 1/2 cup water or stock.

Lorna Sass has written several books on pressure cooking. "Cookiing Under Pressure" is one, and there is a vegetarian version too. Your library might have them.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Your recipes look like they would cook very quickly in the PC, like 15 minutes. If your PC has a heavy bottom you should be okay, but if you are concerned about burning/scorching you could add 1/2 cup water or stock.

Lorna Sass has written several books on pressure cooking. "Cookiing Under Pressure" is one, and there is a vegetarian version too. Your library might have them.

Thank you. I will see if I can find it. The books I have see are for the instapot as that is the current trend

Yes I looked at a boneless chicken recipe (with water) and it takes about 4 minutes.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:24 AM

28,476 posts, read 27,260,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
TY....I found it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.316b49f4b8b0

It has some good info and since my pressure cooker cooks faster and at a higher PSI it will cook faster. I'm still not sure if I can cook things in sauce or gravy. I think I need to stick with water/broth.

I made the pork tonight with water and it all evaporated.
How much water did you use? I've never had it all evaporate.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:24 AM

1,368 posts, read 807,523 times
Nothing should have evaporated, or very little, unless the lid was not put on correctly and locked into place. Or maybe the PC is an older-style one with a little weight thingy on the lid that jiggles and lets steam out when it's up to pressure? Maybe that would allow excess evaporation?

Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
How much water did you use? I've never had it all evaporate.
I think it was a combination of cooking it a bit too long and not enough water. I used 3/4 cup but I tried to use a recipes for a pork loin even though I had chops because I double stacked them. Anyway I pressure cooked them for 40 minutes They were still good but even some of the bones were ground up, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Nothing should have evaporated, or very little, unless the lid was not put on correctly and locked into place. Or maybe the PC is an older-style one with a little weight thingy on the lid that jiggles and lets steam out when it's up to pressure? Maybe that would allow excess evaporation?

Yes I have a newer but old fashioned kind with the weighted top that jiggles. It does require water/liquid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or