Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

No artificial sweeteners, here. I don't use stevia either. I do use honey and maple syrup and things of that nature in addition to cane sugar. I don't often sweeten things (drink coffee and tea black or with cream only, for instance).

My husband uses Splenda/sucralose a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
stevia.I have greatly reduced my sugar intake.I dont drink soft drinks or sweet tea anymore

Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
We use either sugar or Equal (blue). We don't like the taste of any other artificial sweetener. Hubby uses it in his coffee, but otherwise we use real sugar, but very infrequently.
I use a bit of honey in my tea.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I use sugar for the things that need sugar and have subbed maple, agave, honey and coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is the most neutral if that list.

I use stevia - in tea. But not all tea. Generally in fruit flavored ones. Other tea I drink unsweetened. Tea with milk needs sugar for me. I generally use half a packet.

A few times a year I'll use equal or Splenda in iced to that is over brewed - sugar doesn't dissolve.

In baking you generally need real sugar. Sugar contributes to the chemistry of the dish.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
I use organic stevia for beverages, sauces, dressings and marinades. Not that great for baking although you can use it to do a great low carb cheese cake with fresh strawberries. There is not enough "bulk" in it to be suitable for cakes, cookies and pies. Since I am a diabetic, I eat the real thing (sugar) only on special occasions like Christmas and birthdays.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

In baking you generally need real sugar. Sugar contributes to the chemistry of the dish.
Splenda can generally be used in baking, and is sold in large bags to that end. My husband uses it when he bakes.

Here is info about the use of artificial sweeteners in baking:

Can you Cook and Bake with Artificial Sweeteners? | Your Guide to Diet and Diabetes | U of I Extension

Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 AM

226 posts, read 297,943 times
My husband is diabetic so we need to lower his sugars and carbs. Stevia is a natural herb and not a chemical sweetener like aspartame (NutraSweet/Equal) or sucralose (Spenda) so I believe it is the healthiest alternative to high carb sugars. I know it does NOT spike his blood sugar as some of the other sugar subs do sometimes. Stevia has a sharp taste but we do like it in Lemonade, Kool Aid or Tea, but not sprinkled over our oatmeal. We will use sucralose for that. I also use Splenda for baking sweet treats (cobblers usually) for him. We avoid all aspartame products. They cause Burning Mouth Syndrome for me and diarrhea for my husband. I have not yet tried the liquid Stevia but I think it would probably work best for your cucumber sauce recipe. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2023, 06:47 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
I am bumping this thread as I bake cookies ( Toll House and Oatmeal mostly) and I have substituted Stevia from Walmart. Since those usually call for 3/4 cups of white sugar and brown sugar, I have used half Stevia and white sugar and then the full amount of brown sugar. I found that they turned out more grainy if I use any moreStevia. I am wondering if any here have other solutions for cutting down. I don't have diabetes but don't want to get it at this point in my life. Also, the calories are something that I consider seriously. Thanks for your experiences.

P.S. I have cut out sugar in coffee and iced tea and cereals.

Old 01-15-2023, 06:03 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Different artificial sweeteners affect your body in different ways. This video helped me understand the differences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcnGmKi3xms

Since watching it, I've limited my use to stevia and eurythritol.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:34 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
I have always reduced the amount of sugar called for in recipes. As the years went by I got bolder about making bigger reductions. The food all turned out fine. A lot of standard recipes must cater to people with a huge sweet tooth.

Depending on the item to be made, I even eliminate processed sugar entirely and instead add unsweetened applesauce or mashed ripe bananas. Those add sweetness, fiber, and moisture. They allow eliminating an egg from some cookie recipes, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes