Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:42 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,932 times

Advertisements

Been making my own yogurt. Love it. Using store yogurt for culture but want to get more adventurous.

Can anyone suggest a culture and supplier?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Been making my own yogurt. Love it. Using store yogurt for culture but want to get more adventurous.

Can anyone suggest a culture and supplier?

Thanks!
Yes. ( I was "passing by" and saw your thread)))
I've been using it for years - something real easy; you pour (cold!) fresh milk ( definitely use organic,) mix it with couple of spoons of your yogurt, let it sit on the counter top overnight, and in the morning put it in the refrigerator till evening ( 5-6 hours.) By the evening it's ready to go. Eat, repeat - next day you have a new batch.
The quality is very good ( there are few varieties of this type of yogurt; some are originally from Scandinavian countries, some - from Caucasus. I have my own preferences of course. )
Very good, very healthy food indeed - no preservatives, no additives, no nothing.
Now in order to get the culture for you - I need to look up the e-bay address of that store. ( They ship with no problems; I received my originally by mail. ) Very reasonably priced at that, from what I remember.
Do you want me to PM you the e-bay address? (I hope I still have it somewhere)

Old 05-14-2017, 08:12 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I met a guy who owned a kombucha company last year at a holiday party and when I expressed interest in learning to make it, he suggested this company - all sorts of recipes, cultures, for kefir, yogurt, kombucha, etc

Yogurt Starters and Yogurt Cultures | Dairy Free Yogurt Starter

Old 05-15-2017, 12:28 AM

61,687 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I just get fresh milk (I use raw, but you can use any - organic or not) and add few spoons of good organic yogurt or kefir. Leave the container(s) on the counter for 24 hrs, then move to fridge. When ready, I don't finish it, but leave about 1 cup in the container it was made in, and add fresh milk.
Repeate that process numerous times, before I wash the container and start new batch.
For a new batch you can use 1 cup (or less for smaller containers) of your previous yogurt or start with fresh yogurt or kefir.
I use 2gal stoneware container and just scoop out whatever I need - in about 10 days all is gone and I start a new batch, but you can use anything you want - glass Mason jars, any plastic, stainless steel, big or small. Do not use aluminium.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:38 AM

Anyone using the Bulgarian yogurt culture?

Old 05-16-2017, 08:38 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I've only used store bought yogurt for the starter. But the store brands tend to taste different and often have a different texture. So I sampled until I found one I really liked and I used that for my starter. Buying their plain version. I'm not sure what that massive amount of sugar, gum, and flavored syrups in the "fruit" flavors do to a batch of yogurt

Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM

I have been using plain low fat Stonyfield Farms as my culture. Mine (2% milk) tastes very similar but less sweet. I have always been very happy with Stonyfield but it was time to try to make my own.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 AM

811 posts, read 1,146,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Anyone using the Bulgarian yogurt culture?
I use Bulgarian yogurt from the store as my starter culture. Love it! I haven't used any of these (yet), myself, but I think this site is just what you're after. The variety and descriptions of the different types of yogurt are interesting/fun:
Yogurt Starters and Yogurt Cultures | Dairy Free Yogurt Starter

Old 05-17-2017, 12:21 PM

Thanks IslandCityGirl.

I found them early in my search. Most reviews are older. I was thinking maybe there is a new kid on the block.

Leaning in this direction -

cheesemaking

But after reading your post I am going to try to find a Bulgarian store yogurt to use as a culture.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
I heard it was easy to make yogurt, but had no idea it was THIS easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes