Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,347 times

Advertisements

Oh dear, I just went back and read my earlier post. Please excuse the tremendous number of spelling errors. In my defense, it was well after midnight when I wrote it and I had misplaced my glasses. But at least it made sense. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Oh dear, I just went back and read my earlier post. Please excuse the tremendous number of spelling errors. In my defense, it was well after midnight when I wrote it and I had misplaced my glasses. But at least it made sense. LOL
Yes indeed it made good sense. I have to spell check with glasses and even with the help of the kittens still am spelling challenged. Often times grammar too.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:12 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
All stews
All soups
Paella
Ceviche'
Cioppino ...

All those wonderful dishes that combine "whatever's available"!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
Alright... we grew up eating a lot of one dish meals- we are Irish and that was how my mother learned to cook... so ... here it goes

Any meat that has been sitting in the freezer and needs to be cooked SOON or whatever you find on sale for that day... dusted in flour
Any root veggies that are about to go- onions, carrots, potatoes, turnips...don't forget the cabbage for an added bit of flavor.
Salt, pepper, any other seasoning you might feel like for that night...
About a 1/2 cup of water poured over the top- if you have any wine that has turned and is no longer good enough to drink then you would stick that in there instead of the water
sprinkle it with flour (to make the "gravy")

put it all into a roasting bag/pan and cook away. It creates it's own little gravy/sauce and the veggies are tender and dripping in sauce... yum...

Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
Quiche is a traditional peasant food.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Quiche is a traditional peasant food.
Perfect example of what I said about it elevated an art. Thanks, World Citizen.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,562 times
Let us not forget Coq au Vin and Beef Bourguignon.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Cassoulet
(Especially enjoyable if being eaten in Toulouse, France )
Hahahahahaha!!!! Love it!!
MY second fave attempt at peasantry was Peruvian ceviche' at Lima's most celebrated cevicheria, Alfresco.
How about paella in Andalucia?
Or lamb stew in an old, small family inn in Tipperary?

But my first fave true peasantry is variations on yosenabe here and there in Japan. Yosenabe is basically a "stew", lots of veggies and lots of seafoods cooked in dashi (the basic soup stock made from bonito and seaweed; yummers!!). It's cooked at the table in a specially-tempered crockery bowl, or iron pot, over a single hotplate, so that most of the items, which need only seconds to cook, can be pulled out very quickly and enjoyed.
Doesn't this photo of Yosenabe make you hungry??
Attached Thumbnails
Peasant Food?-yosenabe.jpg  

Old 07-17-2008, 03:31 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Hahahahahaha!!!! Love it!!
MY second fave attempt at peasantry was Peruvian ceviche' at Lima's most celebrated cevicheria, Alfresco.
How about paella in Andalucia?
Or lamb stew in an old, small family inn in Tipperary?

I've had the pleasure of lamb stew in an Irish Pub......................in Andalucia..............on St Patrick's Day

Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
yes it does qualify. i think of peasant food as being things that cost less, like beans and rice, pasta, veggies, or tougher cuts of meat.
Fideo .... very economical, a Mexican household staple for the most part, and wow... for about $4 I can make enough to feed my family of 5 TWICE. (Fideo/vermicelli, a pound of ground beef, a can of Ro-tel)..

What about bread pudding for dessert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes