Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 10:56 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times

Advertisements

My kids love the packet oatmeal. I recently started making "real" oatmeal for health and value, but I suspect I'm adding as much or more salt and sugar as the packets have. Still a lot cheaper though. Next time I'm going to try honey as a sweetener and see how hat tastes...

Old 10-02-2011, 06:53 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
My kids love the packet oatmeal. I recently started making "real" oatmeal for health and value, but I suspect I'm adding as much or more salt and sugar as the packets have. Still a lot cheaper though. Next time I'm going to try honey as a sweetener and see how hat tastes...
You may also want to try agave nectar as a sweetener. There are many sources for this and it has a low glycemic index.

I am trying to eat oatmeal at least 2 - 3 times a week now (alternating with yogurt and granola days). I usually use the plain oatmeal packets to save on time. I add about a 1/4 cup of lactaid 2% milk and microwave it for 90 seconds. Then I sprinkle cinnamon and add a couple of packets of sweetener or agave nectar and then add enough milk to make it the consistency that I want. I then throw about a 1/4 cup of blueberries on it. Even if the packets aren't quite as healthy as the regular prepared oatmeal it is better than other choices.

I keep up with my sodium content for the day by using my calorie/food/nutrition counter at myfitnesspal.com. So, my sodium intake stays under my daily goal.

When we take a car trip I will make and take some healthy oatmeal power "cookies". They are a good filling snack treat that doesn't send our blood sugar haywire. But I guess oatmeal cookies are a whole other thread unto themselves.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
IMHO, the best oatmeal needs these things: made with whole oats, not quick oats or from a package. (anyone who eats instant oatmeal is setting themselves up for failure. AND do you know how much sugar is in there??? )
made on the stove, not micro, with water, not milk. Cover it and let it sit for 2-3 minutes after it's done boiling.
Serve with a little milk or cream, brown sugar and cinnamon. Don't put too much milk in to start, you can always add more.
NOT slimy! Mushy, well, yeah, it's OATMEAL!!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
oatmeal is my daily breakfast. 1 cup oats in a bowl, cover with water, microwave 2 minutes, stir in 2 splendas and some cinnemon, stir in some skim milk. delicious.

the more you fruit/sugar you add to it, then caloriewise you may as well get granola cereal.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 PM

560 posts, read 848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
IMHO, the best oatmeal needs these things: made with whole oats, not quick oats or from a package. (anyone who eats instant oatmeal is setting themselves up for failure. AND do you know how much sugar is in there??? )
made on the stove, not micro, with water, not milk. Cover it and let it sit for 2-3 minutes after it's done boiling.
Serve with a little milk or cream, brown sugar and cinnamon. Don't put too much milk in to start, you can always add more.
Beautiful! I completely agree. I do like to play with various additions with whatever I might have in the house - blueberries, different nuts, maple syrup, etc.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
It's oatmeal season again! We like steel-cut oats, cooked overnight in the crockpot. I generally use a ration of 4 c water to 1 c oats, a little salt, half cup of half & half, and yum! Sometimes I substitute apple juice for some of the water, and add chopped nuts & cinnamon. Berries work well, too; they cook to a jam-type flavor.

Since we low-carb, we eat a small serving of oatmeal with a hard-boiled egg or other protein. Breakfast can be higher carb content than the rest of the day, but not too high.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
The oatmeal packet that I use has 0 grams of sugar. Product: Oatmeal - Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Original | QuakerOats.com (http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oatmeal/instant-oatmeal/original.aspx - broken link)

As part of my healthier eating plan I have been eating oatmeal 3 mornings per week since July and have lost 21 lbs.

I do think I am going to try the overnight slow cooker steel cut option though and see how that goes.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:41 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
I recently decided to try out oatmeal as a healthy breakfast (I'm on a diet). The first time I made oatmeal, it was GROSS!! I made it in the microwave and used less water than recommended. I had such a hard time choking it down because it was mushy/slimy. I love granola cereal and that has oats in it (and sugar and fat!), so there must be something I can do to make it less mushy. What is the texture supposed to be like? The pictures always look less mushy.
I hated oatmeal until I bought some STEEL CUT OATS and made it with them instead. It is so much better, you can't even believe it.

Get some Steel Cut Oats at your local health food store and *enjoy*.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Ok, picked up the organic steel cut oats. Am going to try the overnight slow cooker oatmeal.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Ok, picked up the organic steel cut oats. Am going to try the overnight slow cooker oatmeal.
I think you'll be very happy with the results.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes